Bad News

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Yesterday we found out my father in law, Terry, has cancer where his windpipe goes into his lung. Whatever you call that area.(I'm studying to work with agriculutre not medicine) The doctors say they can't go in and remove it. His cancer doctor did say today that if you had to have cancer this was the best one to have. Whatever that is supposed to mean. They are putting in the port for chemo tomorrow(thursday) and planning on doing something called a pep or pet scan something like that to see if it is anywhere else. I really wish you all could remember him in your prayers. He is only 53. He has a 12 year old daughter and a 1 year old son at home that need him. Plus his 21 year old son has a child on the way. If something bad happens he will be missing out on alot.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Joe, not sure if this is what you're referring to, but the area where the trachea splits to enter the lungs is called the carina. If the oncologist says it's the best kind to have, that's good news, I think - at least, it's the best news you can get under the circumstances. I hope it all goes well, and the news gets even better, for all your family.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sorry to hear. Hopefully he will enjoy a speedy recovery.
I am sure everyone will put a word in for him.

are12

Expert Expediter
Ark,

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. We wish him all the best and we will certainly keep him in our prayers!

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Prayer, faith, family and friends, the best medicine there is....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The PET scan is somewhat like a CAT scan but with a special radioactive injection that highlights specific things in the body. It reveals things no other test can. They even have mobile test labs now that are in special T/T rigs and taken to places of need. Possibly what the doctor meant was this type cancer is the least likely to metastisize. If that's so, that truly is very good news and one point for your team already. Best wishes and stay focused on the positives, as difficult as that seems.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
First off this is not a death warrant for Terry at all. Since September I’ve been going through treatment for lung cancer. Each person’s cancer is unique and a variety of treatments are available with survival rates at an all time high.

Having a cat scan/pet scan will notify Dr/Technician all hot spots where cancer is likely located in the body and is a great tool for his oncologist. I’ve had two so far and both have shown where the initial cancer was located while the second one after finishing first regiment of 8 weeks of radiation and chemo treatments revealed the radiation pulverized the initial cancer located in right lung. Additional cancer has been identified in right lung so last week I started my second regiment of chemo.

The waiting for the results of cat/pet scan is difficult as our minds go through 10,000 scenarios. The best suggestions I have for you and your family is to be supportive but don’t smother Terry with attention, He more than likely isn’t going to die in the near future from information you posted. Reading up on the type of cancer and treatments available will be helpful when communicating with Terry. Personally I talk about my cancer when I want to as there are days when that is last subject I want to broach. Well wishers need to understand we always don’t want to talk about the subject of cancer and please stop forwarding all articles on the subject. I designated one of my cousins to be the town crier so he passes on updates which have been a big help.

Sloan/Kettering is reported to be the best lung care facility in the world I used them as my second opinion when I was first diagnosed. The problem being they only has facilities in NJ and NYC. My oncologist was trained by SK and they concur with him when deciding treatment.

Here are some links that have a wealth of information on the subject

Squamous cell carcinoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lung Cancer Support Community / lung cancer support community

CancerCare :: I am a Person with Cancer: FAQ

http://www.nccn.org/patients/patient_gls/_english/_lung/5_treatment.asp

The Lung Cancer Alliance

The Wellness Community - Free Cancer Support Groups and Cancer Information

Sloan-Kettering - Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center

Feel free to pm me if Terry would like to speak with someone under treatment I’m a good listener.

Needless to say Terry and his family all included on my daily prayer list.

Reactions: 1 person

tnt1271

Seasoned Expediter
My prayers for your family. My mom had lymphoma and she passed in January of 06. But It was more because she just gave up, I really feel if she would have quit smoking and changed her lifestyle she could have probably lived alot longer. They say that cancer can't live in an oxygenated state and thats why alot of people switch thier eating habits to all organic foods. People have actually cured or gone into remission because of this. I am not saying that it will work 100% of the time but it couldn't hurt. Also you can look up different cures on naturalcures.com.

alborada

Seasoned Expediter
Dear Joe, Sorry to hear about this but glad to hear that you caring so much for your father in law.
I suspect he have the strength and all support he need to get through this challenge triumphantly.
I will praying for a swift recovery. Sincerest wishes for a speedy and full recovery and journey to better health. Cheers, Margo

Reactions: 1 person

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Ark, Your father in law will be in our prayers. Sounds like he has a wonderful support system.

kinilu57

Expert Expediter
Good Luck and Best Wishes to your father-in-law as well as to YOUR whole family... Cancer is horrible to the person dealing with it in their body and also horrible to the entire family of that person. It truly changes the way your lives once were. I will be watching for your updates on here and pray they are HAPPY ONES.....

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
Sorry to hear about your father in law but it sounds as if he has what he needs, Loving friends and family. Cancer is not a death sentence. We have been living with it in our family for 22 years and counting. I'll be praying for him.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Thanks everyone. He was in a good mood yesterday, but he wasn't today. My wife and I went and visited with him today and his was horrible. They put the port in for chemo today and he was in pain. He requested pain meds and it took 4 hours so he was upset about it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
As he has every right to be - such delays are unacceptable. Having been on the caregiver's side of the desk, I can assure you that a proactive family is a benefit to the patient. You don't want to get obnoxious, but politely and firmly insisting that the patient's needs be met promptly, should get you nothing but respect. If you don't get it, keep going up the chain of command!