Average % of empty miles in a week/month

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Not looking for long answers but would love to hear from a bunch of you if you do keep track of this what % not miles are empty. Please indicate if your a team or solo also.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Hi there, heard you jumped ship? Everything OK at new company?? Take care, just saw your post and had to yell at you!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Industry average is roughly 30 percent. They are including solos and teams.
Davekc

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Here are my figures from Nov 29, '04 to Dec 18, '04. About 3 full weeks of running. Loaded miles were 7068, empty/DH miles were 1183. That would be 86% loaded, 14% empty/DH. I run solo.

One trick I would like to share about keeping empty miles to a minimum is this: While on a load I will usually hit the nearest truck stop just before I drop the load (time provided), and get my fueling and shower done at that time. Then after I drop the load I just find a safe place in whatever town the consignee is at to eat and then park (legally and/or with permission), and just wait for the next load there. It sounds silly, but it has worked well for me;) I am not a truck stop kind of guy and try to avoid them for sleep and waiting periods.

Sorry for the long answer:7
-Weave-

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Allow me to ask a follow-up question of the group. Why is it, please, so important to know about your deadhead/empty miles? Perhaps I'm looking at all wrong.

When we receive a load offer we immediately add the empty (deadhead) and loaded miles together. We refer to the sum as "all miles." We then divide the "all miles" figure into the offered run pay to come up with our pay per mile. The Pay per mile is then used in making our decision to accept or decline the load. Note that we run with a carrier that pays a percentage of the load, not a fixed per-mile rate as some carriers do.

Being paid as we do, it matters little to us whether we're running empty or loaded. It matters only that we're running profitably.

Consider the following hypothetical examples:

RUN OFFER A:

800 miles loaded
200 miles deadhead
All miles: 1,000

Loaded pay: $1.25 per mile
Deadhead pay: $0.20 per mile after the first 100 miles
Total pay: $1,020
Pay per mile, all miles: $1.02

RUN OFFER B:

500 miles loaded
500 miles deadhead
All miles: 1,000

Loaded pay: 1.88 per mile
Deadhead pay: $0.20 per mile after the first 100 miles
Total pay: $1,020
Pay per mile, all miles: $1.02

For purposes of discussion, assume each load weighs 100 pounds so the additional weight of the loaded miles is not a factor.

In the above two scenerios, which one is the best load and why?

My answer is either load is just as good because the all miles, total pay, and pay per mile is identical. If there is another answer that makes more sense, I'd sure like to know what it is. Driver preoccupation with deahdead miles continues to perplex me; though I can understand where it would be an issue for drivers that are paid a flat per-loaded-mile rate.

Stranded

Expert Expediter
Load A is the best. You do not understand it because you are willing to give up a loaded mile pay while settling for the average pay of the overall run. samee as i do right now - but i don;t like it.
in the two examples, you are actually losing $.23 per mile with trip A and .86 per mile with trip b - but becase you are still making $1.02 per mile, you don't not have a problem with that and at this point, if I was getting $1.02 per mile, i would be happy to, especially if i could get 1500 miles per week driving someone elses truck but I would not want to have the hassles of owning my own for that money. after expenses and all you're probably only making .50 per mile and thats what i make per loaded mile right now as a newbie driving for an o/o.
I talked to a car hauler once who got $1.04 per loaded mile, all return trips were empty and paid nothing. He makes a great rate loaded, but overall, he only makes .52 per mile and he was happy with that too.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
"Allow me to ask a follow-up question of the group. Why is it, please, so important to know about your deadhead/empty miles? Perhaps I'm looking at all wrong."

The answer for me is it's not really that important, even with running a flat rate. But, I do like to save where I can. When I see a response from Stranded and it's 50% though, that might be a cause for concern if it's really that far above the norm. I just feel it might be something drivers need to look into now and then if they feel their empty/DH miles are excessive.

-Weave-

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Only 2/3 of the puzzle is complete. I wouldn't know if either run is worth anything. The other 1/3 is the milage calculation in which you have to travel to the next potential load. There is considerable difference from a load going to Utah verses a load going to Michigan.
Davekc

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
We also approach D/H like this, we look more at $/all miles.

We kinda find juggling D/H, fuel cost variables, tolls, and everything else like a toothpaste tube . . .you squeeze one part and it bulges out elsewhere. So we ask ourselves, "will we do this whole load, D/H, tolls, wx, layover and all for $x.xx/mile"?

miko

Expert Expediter
Of course it matters alot how many deadhead miles one has in a week.
It bothers us to no end, that our company doesn't provide enough backloads, or pay better. We have tried flat % rates and .cents/mile, but boy do we wish to be paid $1.25-$1.88/mile.
In a good week we have 1500 loaded miles if not a litte more, and maybe 500 miles deadhead, and in a bad week we have only 1000 loaded miles and either no deadhead because of no more loads, or maybe 500 miles deadhead. It also is important where the loads go, and if it is wiser to come back to homebase to pick up another load, or to wait and see if loads go out at the present location to somewhere else in the country.
If switching companies was that easy to do, we would probably have done that already. But so far, we have not found what we are looking for in a company, so we stay with the one we are with right now, but keep looking.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
running local is great 90 percent loaded 10 percent empty and once in awhile loaded all miles running 4,000 paid and 1000 per month empty
that include's 70 miles to work every day to
able to park van at home now and don't have to pay to park the truck
running in a van at over a 1.00 all miles

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Thank you all, these were the answers I was looking for. The true answer is YES IT MATTERS, I am comparing my old company to the new one and this dispatch works much harder and smarter for me and the bottom line is the difference. Average DH between ALL LOADS has been 67 miles. Average 5.5 runs a week average over 500 miles per load. Luck YES, Happy Darn right Profitable even better. I will give you one example of my last load offer with my previous co. DH from Cleveland PU in Pittsburg Deliver in Romulis MI you do the math DH vs profitability how much do you loose with all that DH that is what according to my math 35 40% DH any wonder why I asked? You think dispatch could find a load in Cleveland OH? One more thing the load paid almost $400.00 per mile it was very good add DH it was under a dollar not so good.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>One more thing the load paid almost $400.00
>per mile ......

Broom,

At $400.00 per mile, I'd deadhead 500 miles to haul that load 25 miles!!!!!!!!;)

Care to drop a hint as to yer new Co.?

Rex

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Hehehe. Broom should have put a comma after the $400!

To add my 18 cents (adjusted for fuel surcharge and inflation)...

I'm leased to Dynamex running a mix of local and long distance expedite. I average 50% deadhead as DX rarely ever has any backhaul.

I'm running a 10' box van and am averaging 62 cents per mile revenue all miles.

--
Mike N

Faster than a speeding poulet.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Not looking for long answers

Broom-
Ha ha failed there..caution long answer below!

Do you count your dead head in your calculations with regard to how much you are making per mile?
This is first question I ask other drivers when the subject of “how much do you make a mile?” comes up while talking about running for our various companies. (For those of you who know me, you know that I am real anal retentive about this subject.) lol If the individual looks blank like they don’t have a clue what I am talking about, I just quit talking about the subject entirely. lol The reason being, if drivers don’t count their dead head in as miles they haven’t a real clue what they are running for. As an example, I have spoke to people that claim they are running for $1.25 a mile...all miles, but after talking to them for a minute I realize they got paid $1.25 for their loaded miles and don’t count dead head miles. What most fail to recognize is they may have put 100 miles on their truck to get to a truck stop after they dropped their last load..now they get dispatched and it is 50 miles to their load pick up destination. So, before their run even starts they have 150 miles deadhead. If their load was 500 miles @ $1.25 per mile they were paid $625.00. However, in fact they actually ran the load for 96 cents per mile.

We always calculate dead head into our running figures....every mile even if we go home or out of route to go site seeing. If our wheels are turning, we are counting the miles. With that in mind here are our actual figures for January so far which do not include the load we are currently under.
Load 1- 1515 loaded miles
-2336 actual total miles-(we had dh home 1100 miles)
-rate per mile for load 70 cents-35% over all dh
Load 2- 1448 miles
-1791 actual total miles (109 miles driving around and to layover) (234 dh miles to pick up)
-rate per mile for load 92 cents-28% over all dh
Load 3- 498 loaded miles
- 697 actual total miles (93 miles driving around and to layover) (106 dh miles to pick up)
-rate per mile for load 82 cents -28% over all dh
Load 4-2052 loaded miles
-2328 actual total miles (173 miles driving around and to layover)(103 dh miles to pick up)
-rate per mile for load $1.01 -22% over all dh
Load 5-1756 loaded miles
-2129 actual load miles (285 miles driving around and to layover) (88 dh miles to pick up)
-rate per mile for load 92 cents - 22% over all dh
Load 6-726 loaded miles
797 actual load miles (51 miles driving around and to layover) (20 miles dh to pick up)
-rate per mile for load $1.04 - 21% over all dh
Load 7-805 loaded miles
898 actual load miles (26 miles driving around and to layover) (67 miles dh to pick up)
-rate per mile for $1.02 - 20% over all dh
Load 8-553 loaded miles
-677 actual load miles(38 miles driving around and to layover) (86 dh miles to pick up)
-rate per mile 93 cents per mile - 20% overall dh

Total - 9353 Loaded miles
-11, 716 actual miles
-rate 91 cents per mile **with out dh pay- det pay- fuel surcharges-ne surcharges- etc**

mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--