Average % of empty miles in a week/month

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Only 2/3 of the puzzle is complete. I wouldn't know if
>either run is worth anything. The other 1/3 is the milage
>calculation in which you have to travel to the next
>potential load. There is considerable difference from a load
>going to Utah verses a load going to Michigan.
>Davekc

Davekc's point highlights the differences a team's carrier choice, driver qualifications, and truck equipment can make. A team that has a carrier with a national reach and large sales force; carrier approval and training to carry a wide variety of freight, and a truck with reefer, lift gate, and freight handling equipment has less to worry about in Utah than a carrier that does little business west of the Mississippi.

In our experience, we've been stranded out west for long periods of time (several days) only when we followed our fleet owner's instructions to stay put and wait for the freight to come to us. With our new fleet owners, we don't do that any more. We'll deadhead out after a day or so of no freight. But that happens far less than getting a load out. As often as not, we're predispatched before we arrive at our out-west delivery.

That said, I can think of few good reasons for a solo driver to take a load out west. Getting back would be a challange.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Knowing your companies freight lanes and customers is the key. As long as you have the right equipment for your carrier, you are half way there. Reefer and liftgates in my experience failed to pay for themselves. Many of our carriers customers will refuse to load a truck that has a liftgate. Also, a insulated box has lost several inches on it width. Certain manufacturing skids will not fit in these insulated boxes. What works for one carrier may not be appropriate for others. In addition, you are hauling all the weight around for little gain, not to mention cost and maintainence.
Remember, that is my experience.
Regardless of the carrier, one needs to look at that companies freight ratio to trucks. One can have all the reach in the world but if they have to many trucks, you are sitting. And if that is the case, they better have a good backhaul dept. I think Broompilot found that out pretty quickly.
Davekc

Jack Jackson

Expert Expediter
Here are our averages from Dec 27, 2004 to Jan 21, 2005

15 Loads total $17,560.24

11,802 Total miles including 500 d/h home = $1.48 for all miles

9501 Paid miles = $1.85 per paid mile

11 Loads required Reefrigeration or heat

5 Loads required Liftgate

20% total deadhead

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Your numbers aren't that bad. It is a shame that a large percentage don't achieve that figure. We have had several calls just this week from drivers either wanting to switch companies, or wanting to sell me their trucks because they can't make the payments. Maybe you know someone they don't? Look at the classifieds and see where these trucks are coming from. I just looked this morning on Freightliner of Knoxville's website and they have a new sterling with 8,700 miles and it is a repo. Many of the others are from that same carrier.
Call me a skeptic, but I have to go with the law of averages and my experience with equipment there. If the company is a decent one, they should be able to keep you moving whether you have that equipment or not.
One had better like the company they are with if it requires liftgates and reefers ect. If things go south, you will have a much more difficult time moving to where the grass may be greener. Not a recommended path for someone new.
As mentioned, just my opinion and experiences.
Davekc
owner
20years

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Jack,

I am assuming the figures you put up there are for all revenue including accessoral charges and fuel surcharges too?

--
Mike N

Faster than a speeding poulet.

Owner/Operator Big 'B'
Experienced
10 years auto transport
2 years local/distance expedite
Laurel, MD (Washington DC area)

Jack Jackson

Expert Expediter
Yup, that's everything to the truck. I did forget to say we are a team with a C-unit. During that period of time we accepted everything offered to us and also had a breakdown that put us out of service for a day.