Attention Truck Buyers - Important and Urgent

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If you are about to buy a new or used truck, or plan to in the future, please know that for just $25 you can have your lease or loan agreement reviewed and explained to you by a driver-friendly source; namely the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association.

If you are about to spend a pile of money for a truck and enter into an agreement that gives other people rights and powers over you and the truck you will drive, does it not make sense to spend $25 to have your contract reviewed? Reviews are a service OOIDA provides for its members. $25 is the cost of a one-year membership.

Diane and I recently met yet another driver who thought he was on a path to owning his truck but later found out he was essentially renting the truck from the company that talked him into his (actually not his) truck and a legally-enforcable agreement. Had he understood the terms of the contract he signed, he never would have signed it.

You don't have to take the first financing deal that is presented to you. You should not buy a truck at all if you do not understand the documents you sign. The people selling you the truck or financing it are the very last people you should listen to when they explain what the documents say.

Spend $25. Join OOIDA and have your documents reviewed BEFORE you sign them. OOIDA's phone number is 800-444-5791.

Don't become the next sad-case story out there. Spend $25 and have your documents reviewed.

Last edited:

miker

Seasoned Expediter
Can we say Caveat emptor!

I tried but just can't say it, oh well the radio is not picking up worth a darn and I've got a short 208 mile run so I'll keep trying until I arrive at the consignee, if I can't say by then , then just forget it

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You can read a story, in the February, 2009, edition of Land Line, about someone who did not take the trouble to read and understand his lease before signing it, and the kind of companies that are out there ready to take full advantage of people like him.

Legal documents are not easy to read and understand. Truck drivers who have poor reading skills or do not easily grasp legal concepts or are just plain lazy may be inclined to rely on what the lender or salesperson tells them. That is a huge mistake because unrecorded verbal statements cannot be proven in court, but the lease you signed can.

When you sit at a desk about to sign a lease, understand that there are people out there that will impress you as truth tellers, come across as very nice and very trustworthy, look you straight in the eye, smile, and lie through their teeth about what the lease says and what you are giving away and binding yourself to when you sign it. They are experts at playing on the hopes of would-be owner-operators, and they will play on yours if you give them the chance. Don't do it.

You don't have to go to law school before you sign a truck lease, but it is essential to know and understand exactly what you are signing. OOIDA lease reviews, free to members, are available to help you do exactly that.

It costs just $25 to join. When you are getting ready to plop down a pile of money, bind yourself to certain obligations and give away some of your rights, can you think of a better way to spend $25?

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Good suggestion Phil but lets take it a step further.

The OOIDA is a good place but the problem is that they don’t know your business; they are geared for the tractor owner/operator who operates a bit differently than we do.

I suggest to people who want to get into this business to get tools, a lawyer and an accountant as soon as you are going to start this business because it is a business. I say this so one can build a relationship between them and you. The relationship is important if you actually have real problems down the line and can advise you are the best steps to take in order to protect yourself and your company in the long run.

A lot of people poo poo the idea because they think that they can walk into any lawyer’s office and get help, but that is not how it works. They may have been lucky, but it only takes one accident or one mistake and it will cost you a lot of money. Incorporation does not save ones a** from negligence, there is still a responsibility and that has been proven in court countless times.

When I needed legal advice, my lawyer knew what I was doing, why I was doing it and how it was all setup. He didn’t need to be brought up to speed or get an education on how my business was setup. He went into action when I needed him and the preemptive setup saved me a lot of money.

As to contracts, there is a bit more than just reviewing it, they should be explained. My lawyer did more than just review it, he worked with my accountant to make sure that it did fit into my business and there was an exit. The reason that this is important is simply that in this day and age, we all have to be careful.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'd rather not take it a step further and would prefer to stay on topic. The topic is getting your lease or loan agreement before purchasing a truck. Other threads can be started for the rest.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'd rather not take it a step further and would prefer to stay on topic. The topic is getting your lease or loan agreement before purchasing a truck. Other threads can be started for the rest.

I am I mistaken that the title of the thread is "Attention Truck Buyers - Important and Urgent" and not the "The only way to stay out of trouble"?

My God Phil, what I posted is right on topic and has to do with how to handle getting your lease or loan agreement before purchasing that truck. I am surprised that you haven't talked more about this in the past, but again you have your internal legal and accounting department while others don't.

I am adding some very valid points about what I have experienced as an effective method of using the right tools and for what in order to run a business, not a paid vacation service.

If you want to control the topic so it will be narrow and percise according to you, then people are going to just look at the OOIDA as the only outlet for help because you refuse not to offer any additional advice. In effect you are shortchanging the audience.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would say Greg's post is on topic Phil. OOIDA is a good organization, but hardly who I would recommend to review a truck lease or purchase agreement. A attorney has accountability and should know your business if you have been using them. In the case of OOIDA, you don't know who you are getting, or their expertise in contract review.
In a nutshell.......with OOIDA, there is no accountability.
No different than buying a house. One should use a attorney verses a real estate agent. Big difference between the two.
In many cases, that truck purchase is the same amount of money as some folks home. Not a place to cut corners unless you really know what you are doing.

broker

Seasoned Expediter
ATeam, when I read your post, I felt it was very good advice, for the inexpensive price of only $25. Nice post.
However, just like the next EO member suggested, you get what you pay for.
$25 gets a review.
More $$$ gets a lot more.
You both have good suggestions.
Why is the way you and Diane do it always the only way?

Come on Phil, you are very looked up to on here for opinions and advice (including me).
Don't tarnish that image with the "my way or the hiway" thinking.
BIG JOHN

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Come on Phil, you are very looked up to on here for opinions and advice (including me).
Don't tarnish that image with the "my way or the hiway" thinking.
BIG JOHN

Still playing that compliment 'em up front while your stabbing 'em in the back routine I see. (Do you think he's falling for it?)

broker

Seasoned Expediter
Now why did I have this feeling that Doggie Daddy would speak (no pun intended) for ATeam AGAIN.
Are you two the same?

I am by far not the only one who feels the same about the one way street approach.

I am by far not the only one who enjoys the opinions ATeam gives.

I am by far not the only one who thinks ATeam is a success story in Expediting.

I do want Phil to have a more open mind to others opinions, so I can enjoy his better.

I'm sorry you find all that hard to believe.
BIG JOHN

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Now why did I have this feeling that Doggie Daddy would speak (no pun intended) for ATeam AGAIN.
Are you two the same?

No we are not the same

I am by far not the only one who feels the same about the one way street approach.

I am not sure I know what you mean by that.

I am by far not the only one who enjoys the opinions ATeam gives.

Then why do you feel the need to criticize his opinions every chance you get?

I am by far not the only one who thinks ATeam is a success story in Expediting.

Agreed.

I do want Phil to have a more open mind to others opinions, so I can enjoy his better.

And why should Phil have to conform to how you think he should be?

I'm sorry you find all that hard to believe.

I'll tell you what I find hard to believe,is the fact that just about everything that you post on here you end up contradicting yourself. I could give you many examples of that.
BIG JOHN

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Are you stalking me?:eek::eek::eek::eek:
BIG JOHN

No offence BIG JOHN, but what's that saying about the kettle caling the pot black or something?
I haven't studied the posts to be sure about this, but without doing so, it has appeared to me lately that you are in fact stalking someone's every thread.

broker

Seasoned Expediter
pjjjj (hope I got all the j's)
I have noticed something I have never seen before on an internet forum.
Why is it that you and doggie always feel the need to get involved by responding for (or should I say speaking for) someone else that has been addressed about a subject?

I'm sure ATeam has been up against more challenging people than me.

I'm also pretty sure he is not asking for anyone to represent him.

BIG JOHN

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Why is it that you and doggie always feel the need to get involved by responding for (or should I say speaking for) someone else that has been addressed about a subject?

BIG JOHN
Pjjjjj was neither responding for nor representing ATeam - just expressing her opinion, which is what we all do.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter

BIG JOHN

Well golly BIG JAWN, how long have you owned a computer? This stuff has been going on since Al Gore invented the internet.

And yes Phil most definately has been up against more challenging people than you.

And I am not representing him at all,as he can take care of himself.I just enjoy heckling you.:D

broker

Seasoned Expediter
When a person directs a question to another, I am used to it being answered by the person it was directed towards.
Makes for good understanding on how that person really feels about the subject.

When someone else answers the question, does this mean that is what the person the question was directed to feels or is that the way that person thinks they feel?
Then I guess I'm going to have to wait and see how the person the question was originaly ment for, posts that what the person who answered for him, was in fact how he does feel about the question directed towards him.
Then again, he may post and say that the person that answered for him, did not represent what he really felt about the original question that was direct towards him.
Now we will have to give attention to the second person that answered for the person who the question was origianly ment for. What if the second person gave a different answer than than the first person who answered for the person who the question was originaly for.
I think you see where I'm going.

Maybe this happens all the time here (people answering for others) but not the forums I'm used to.

Wow, 56 and my first stalker.

You have put a huge smile on mine and my wifes face.
Hope I can return the favor someday.
BIG JOHN

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
When a person directs a question to another, I am used to it being answered by the person it was directed towards.
Makes for good understanding on how that person really feels about the subject.

I am so sorry BIG JAWN,where are my manners? Go ahead,ask your question,or do we even know what the question was after all of this?

Maybe this happens all the time here (people answering for others) but not the forums I'm used to.

I regret to inform you that ...yes....this does happen all the time here and it can become quite annoying,but you being an expediter you are probably used to being annoyed.

Wow, 56 and my first stalker.

You have put a huge smile on mine and my wifes face.
Hope I can return the favor someday.

AWW shucks,'twernt nuthin' I would do the same for anyone.
BIG JOHN

//////////////////////////