Attacking the Monster – CSA 2010

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I won't say much about the CSA 2010 itself, a lot has been said and a bunch of fellow professional drivers have cried enough about how it will ruin them or how unfair it is.

Well too bad, it is here and we have to deal with it.

For me it is not about changing my habits or worrying about it, but it is about improving my habits. The points and other 'stuff' that goes along with it is a non-issue for me but I do worry about the reaction of law enforcement, especially coming from a state like Michigan where they will target trucks to pay for things.

So in the last month, I sat down and reviewed my practices from logging to pre-trips to freight securment. Made it a point to note my deficiencies and work on them, biggest one is keeping a consistent schedule of sending in logs when I am away from the truck for more than 10 days.

I revived my old check list, revised it and now is going to the Kinkos to get printed and laminated. This check list saved me a lot of headaches and once I forced myself to use it, complacency was easier to deal with and eliminate.

Once the policies and procedures check was complete, I looked at the truck itself, finding a bunch of ways to improve things to avoid any future issues.

Starting with the age of the truck, it is a bit better than most I have seen but more importantly it is an easy truck to work on. If it was two years newer, it would be in a different class altogether, meaning the electrical would be out of reach to work on because it would have been using a multiplex system. Because it doesn't, when something like a marker light went out, it has been easy to track down and fix.

I decided the biggest issue is lighting, this seems to get people into trouble, or at least gets them noticed. So I have bought all new marker lights for the box, front turn signal lights and yet to decide which rear lights to get – BUT ALL OF THEM ARE LED. LED lights will at least get me the performance I need and a long life, so to me it is better to pay a bit extra then to worry about lamps going out. Total cost will be less than $120 when all said and done.

The next BIG issue are the brakes, on the list of new parts are NEW brake adjusters. I rebuilt my a while ago but I'm not satisfied with them because of the clevis pin issues I have had with them. Also on the list are hose, hose connectors and long stroke chambers all to be replaced when the adjusters are replaced. With the price of hose (a buck a foot) and connectors being cheap (I paid $4.50 each for them), replacing the hoses is a no-brainer when the the chambers are replaced. The shoes look good, so just a quick going through with the cam and followers/rollers all I think it will need – I think the total cost should be less than $450 for all the parts and because I do my own work, my labor cost will be Zero.

The last issue is the engine, replacing the belts and adjusting the clutch is needed because my unofficial impromptu inspection by a MSP friend, she pointed out that the belt looks damaged but isn't and not pron to breaking but someone who is looking for problems will pick it out and ding me for it. The cost with all of the engine stuff comes to about $75.

This new program has nothing to be scared about.

Frankly my carrier is like others, in a bit of a panic and taking precautions on how to handle a bunch of different issues, some of the attempts are full of ambiguity at best while others are clear as a bell.

My last physical has been a hassle as it usually is, not to blame the carrier but they want to make sure everything is perfect. This worries me a lot because of the issues I have run across with the different doctors I have had to use for the physical. One thing that was stressed this time around was the sleep apnea issue and how they now want the machine readout to see if someone is using it (** I know I am leaving things out but ...). A serious problem for me because I have a 5 year old machine in the truck which does not have a way to get a readout but the new one at home will and the insurance will not pay for another one.

I found out today this is not just my carrier but others are following these guidelines because of the CSA 2010 and it opens the door to asking the question whether or not this is an excuse to spy on drivers and to me may be a bit too much to be judged how we sleep.

**Note: I didn't include Van drivers in the article, but this issue is also about anyone who has to deal with a DOT type physical and how they are affected by the CSA 2010 **

But I digress, the real purpose for this article is not to complain about the CSA 2010 or any carrier's actions to mitigate their risk but to tell how I'm attacking this monster.

As you have read before, I believe that any and all professional drivers need to be aware of the workings of their truck, and the CSA 2010 only reinforces that position by putting more burden on the driver to do a better job in ensuring their truck is within a reasonable condition to be on the road.

Without basic knowledge of how things work, how to do basic checks and even do basic repairs, those drivers will be the first to be caught by this monster and will be the first to claim it is unfair.

It is still cheaper to make these changes, to seek out knowledge to do your own work and to follow a plan to maintain

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Greg;

Well written post. You truely have a grasp of CSA and what it means to owner-operators (drivers). All to often I have drivers stopping in to ask questions on CSA which have originated through "driver here-say". I smile because these owner-operators have signed a lease agreement with us to perform duties as an independent contractor, stating they have knowledge, and will comply with, Federal, State and municipal regulations that apply to them operating their vehicle. Being an owner-operator or Expedite driver is NOT just driving a truck from point A to B and delivering the freight. It is so much more - having knowledge of the regulations that apply, and complying with those regulations. All owner operators should take the time (yes, it takes time and isn't always easy) to read their green Safety Regs handbooks and become knowledable - it's YOUR job! Relying on others, or the Safety Director at your company is not enough. Many times it is "after the fact" (problem or accident).

I applaud your checklist. Perhaps, out of the kindness of your heart, you could post a copy of your checklist to share with others operating staright trucks. Those operating tractors would need to add to your list.

The door is open here at Premium Transportation Logistics for any owner-operator like yourself.

Thank you again for such a well written post. Thank you drivers for the jobs you do.

HotFr8Recruiter aka
John Mueller, CDS - Safety Director
Premium Transportation Logistics LLC
800-661-3166

Freightdawg

Expert Expediter
The repairs/replacements you implemented are very good ideas. That really is money well spent! The checklist is a great tool, if you use them. It is so easy to bypass the checklist. When I do, I sometimes miss stuff.

moose

Veteran Expediter
I found out today this is not just my carrier but others are following these guidelines because of the CSA 2010 and it opens the door to asking the question whether or not this is an excuse to spy on drivers and to me may be a bit too much to be judged how we sleep.

amazingly ,this is not only a problem for drivers with sleep apnea . give them some time ,and we will all have to prove in court that we did spend that sleeper jail time sleeping .
& that we did had the opportunity to get rested.
give them more time ,and we will have to pay for the technology to monitor our sleep habits .
like to make a phone call from your sleeper ,go online ,or read a book - there is line 4 for that .

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
As the S**W season approaches, it's a good time to remind everyone with L.E.D. lights that they don't build up the heat of the older lights so make sure they are clear of s**w before you get out on the road:)

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
You may not be able to attack this guy. You may be better advised to defend. I have been stopped a couple times this month and questioned about some nit picky, used to be non-issue, issues. Fortuneately, I luckily knew the book better than the questioner, so, we read the lil book together an he say hmmm. Those of you that are jes, and always have been jes steeringwheel holders better git anuther job. Or, wake up.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You may not be able to attack this guy. You may be better advised to defend. I have been stopped a couple times this month and questioned about some nit picky, used to be non-issue, issues. Fortuneately, I luckily knew the book better than the questioner, so, we read the lil book together an he say hmmm. Those of you that are jes, and always have been jes steeringwheel holders better git anuther job. Or, wake up.

You got what I'm getting at, just couldn't figer out what to call the thread.

It is to counter all the panicky stuff we all been hearing in the last month about it.

It is too simple for many of us who deal with being pulled into the coop often, just get it together, make improvements and not worry about it.

The little book is very important and it is surprising how many people don't even have a copy.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Just log book, loging, light arrangement, and other just pull over opportunistic things.

And mainly, just because they could.

Last edited:

forgiven_1

Active Expediter
I have been in orientation for a week with Nations Express and was told that we can't do our own mechanicing any longer under CSA 2010 unless you are ASE certified !!!

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
that may be a nations policy or their lack of interpretation of the book. but yes you can. on the subject of nit picky stuff, dont forget to keep that washer fluid tank full. just had a friend get wrote up for that. talk about nit picking. thats a good one. he was in rain and traffic, dirty water from trucks and using it when it ran out. ran out of the rain got pulled in and inspected and got nailed. had a full bottle in the side box to refill it with but no go.

eggd1ver

Seasoned Expediter
Just Quick note me and my wife drive 2011 cascadia we been in four level three's two level two's one level one since csa 2010. I would say if you know your truck do pre trip crawl under it once a week and I mean front to back just not breaks because if you have any thing chaffing they will get you. Paper work in order! clean truck because every time they stop me they jump in the door and look around just gives them a reason to look further If your trucks dirty. I would say do your due dilligence and nine times out of ten you want be with them longer then twenty to thirty min. at the most. I don't post alot read more then any thing. VERY,VERY GOOD POST!:)

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I asked FMCSA about the wiper fluid rule and there is no such federal rule. if you could maybe you can find out what regulation your friend broke. The rule # or law. it will be on the inspection report.
Thanks

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I won't say much about the CSA 2010 itself, a lot has been said and a bunch of fellow professional drivers have cried enough about how it will ruin them or how unfair it is.

Well too bad, it is here and we have to deal with it.

Yep. But if we speak out, the parts that are unfair [making it retroactive is the first that comes to mind] could be changed.

For me it is not about changing my habits or worrying about it, but it is about improving my habits. The points and other 'stuff' that goes along with it is a non-issue for me but I do worry about the reaction of law enforcement, especially coming from a state like Michigan where they will target trucks to pay for things.

So in the last month, I sat down and reviewed my practices from logging to pre-trips to freight securment. Made it a point to note my deficiencies and work on them, biggest one is keeping a consistent schedule of sending in logs when I am away from the truck for more than 10 days.

I revived my old check list, revised it and now is going to the Kinkos to get printed and laminated. This check list saved me a lot of headaches and once I forced myself to use it, complacency was easier to deal with and eliminate.

Once the policies and procedures check was complete, I looked at the truck itself, finding a bunch of ways to improve things to avoid any future issues.

Starting with the age of the truck, it is a bit better than most I have seen but more importantly it is an easy truck to work on. If it was two years newer, it would be in a different class altogether, meaning the electrical would be out of reach to work on because it would have been using a multiplex system. Because it doesn't, when something like a marker light went out, it has been easy to track down and fix.

I decided the biggest issue is lighting, this seems to get people into trouble, or at least gets them noticed. So I have bought all new marker lights for the box, front turn signal lights and yet to decide which rear lights to get – BUT ALL OF THEM ARE LED. LED lights will at least get me the performance I need and a long life, so to me it is better to pay a bit extra then to worry about lamps going out. Total cost will be less than $120 when all said and done.

The next BIG issue are the brakes, on the list of new parts are NEW brake adjusters. I rebuilt my a while ago but I'm not satisfied with them because of the clevis pin issues I have had with them. Also on the list are hose, hose connectors and long stroke chambers all to be replaced when the adjusters are replaced. With the price of hose (a buck a foot) and connectors being cheap (I paid $4.50 each for them), replacing the hoses is a no-brainer when the the chambers are replaced. The shoes look good, so just a quick going through with the cam and followers/rollers all I think it will need – I think the total cost should be less than $450 for all the parts and because I do my own work, my labor cost will be Zero.

The last issue is the engine, replacing the belts and adjusting the clutch is needed because my unofficial impromptu inspection by a MSP friend, she pointed out that the belt looks damaged but isn't and not pron to breaking but someone who is looking for problems will pick it out and ding me for it. The cost with all of the engine stuff comes to about $75.

This new program has nothing to be scared about.

Scared? No. Angry at the hypocrisy of insisting it's all about 'improving safety' when it's clearly [for many states] a money grab and a justification for budget requests - you bet.

Frankly my carrier is like others, in a bit of a panic and taking precautions on how to handle a bunch of different issues, some of the attempts are full of ambiguity at best while others are clear as a bell.

My last physical has been a hassle as it usually is, not to blame the carrier but they want to make sure everything is perfect. This worries me a lot because of the issues I have run across with the different doctors I have had to use for the physical. One thing that was stressed this time around was the sleep apnea issue and how they now want the machine readout to see if someone is using it (** I know I am leaving things out but ...). A serious problem for me because I have a 5 year old machine in the truck which does not have a way to get a readout but the new one at home will and the insurance will not pay for another one.

**Note: I didn't include Van drivers in the article, but this issue is also about anyone who has to deal with a DOT type physical and how they are affected by the CSA 2010 **

But I digress, the real purpose for this article is not to complain about the CSA 2010 or any carrier's actions to mitigate their risk but to tell how I'm attacking this monster.

As you have read before, I believe that any and all professional drivers need to be aware of the workings of their truck, and the CSA 2010 only reinforces that position by putting more burden on the driver to do a better job in ensuring their truck is within a reasonable condition to be on the road.

I am 100% confident that the truck is in very good [and safe] shape every time I drive.

Without basic knowledge of how things work, how to do basic checks and even do basic repairs, those drivers will be the first to be caught by this monster and will be the first to claim it is unfair.

Wrong. I have a decent knowledge of how everything on the truck works, I know when it isn't working properly, I carry spares [lights, belts, filters] and know where they go [even if I can't install them all myself], I have changed numerous lights myself, [have even laid under the truck to wire up a muffler hanging from the APU till I could get to a shop]. I also keep the truck clean [the driver's area is immaculate, in fact], and I am ready to pass a Level 1 inspection [and have, numerous times] anytime.
And I say CSA is unfair, because it is.
With all the time and work and attention paid, I've been cited on the last 2 Level 1 inspections, for 'tire has wear' :eek: [no description or measurement, just those 3 words] and 'license plate secured to front instead of rear'. The last one, I explained that when secured to the rear, [as required by SC], I lost 2 that simply blew off. The first one I thought was theft, but the second time I needed to wait for a new plate to be overnighted, I knew it was the bracket that didn't support the plate sufficiently. I switched it to the front where it was secure, and looked for a way to make it equally secure on the rear - a fab shop that could weld a frame, or a stronger plate to mount behind it, or whatever might work, but it was written up before I found a way. That was particularly aggravating as I'd explained that mounting it on the rear was unsafe [a license plate imitating a frisbee could cause some damage and/or injury] and it was secure [and safe] on the front, where many states require it to be placed. If the system really were about safety, the LEO would not have called that a violation, IMO.
It's about $$$$$ is what it is.

PS I also have a copy of the green book, and I read it, and know where to find exactly what the rules require, which negates the assumption that only 'steering wheel holders' think CSA is unfair.

It is still cheaper to make these changes, to seek out knowledge to do your own work and to follow a plan to maintain