Argosy

Dark_0ne

Expert Expediter
So I was thinking again (I know it's often dangerous ;) ) With an Argosy you could have a 60" condo and run a 28' box. Would this be a good idea? Or would you be better off with a 22-24' and the extra maneuverability? The main reason I thought about the 28', is that potentially, you could fit a pretty good back haul in, if you had to take a load to bad freight area.

Comments?

UpNorth_10

Expert Expediter
Hi Dark_One,

I think you are right on the money!! I have been thinking the exact same thing for the last couple of months. The heck with the maneuverability, the extra length and weight capacity would be worth it. At my company freight longer than 24ft or greater than 13,500lbs pays E rate. It can only help you to get out of bad freight zones. Let me know off-line if you build this truck. I will do the same.

Up_North }>

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Patrick:
I'll have an Argosy in Park Rapids tomorrow 27 Apr 05. If you'd like to look it over, i'll hook you up with it.
812 663-6834

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They can be a nice setup. Used ones are cheap by comparison to other conventional tractors speced the same way.
Davekc

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've been debating between a class 8 D unit and a 17' Aerocell body. In class 8 I'm also debating something like the Columbia on www.sst100.com or an Argosy. The Argosy is 110" BBC so it would take a 30' box if someone wanted to put one on it. With tandems and a 52k gvw that 30' box would give you a whale of a backhaul machine. There's also a custom sleeper manufacturer making a toilet/shower unit that fits between the sleeper and cargo box. I can't find the link (again) but with an Argosy you could have a fairly decent sleeper in it, a complete bathroom just steps away, and still have a 27' box. That would be a pretty sweet unit also. Good luck with whatever you do.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
I have been puzzled for years why the Argosy is not a more popular platform for a class 8 stretch. I have seen several so far, and they are incredible expediting machines. Keep us all posted on the progress of these trucks - I personally think that you are really onto something here!! - Scott

Dark_0ne

Expert Expediter
Yeah I was thinking that the 28' box and a twin screw would be excellent. It may be a while before I actually get to the point of building a truck but, this idea ranks quite high on my probability list. That sst100 is gorgeous btw. I have also been giving alot of thought to the Sprinter and aerocell. But if I go for a D unit the Argosy just seems like the way to go for a solo driver.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
The argosy is definitely the way I'm going with my next purchase. The only drawback I see is having to tip the cab to get to do engine repair, the benefits vastly outway it. Though, because of that, I don't think LDB's toilet idea would wash nyuk nyuk ;)

I was told last night by a truck I was swapping with that any serious expediter would have a class 8. He had a t-600 with a 24' box that cost him 120k. Though I don't fully agree with that interpretation, you have to admit that an argosy with a 30' box gives you every opportunity to get freight short of an E unit, and at a very low cost. Just gonna hafta get used to the 13 speed joystick... cool :)

T-hawk

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The toilet/shower is a separate unit that sits right behind the cab so it doesn't tilt. The new Argosy has a larger access panel in the front so short of an overhead/overhaul you don't tilt the cab. I'm eventually going to look into if you can order the 110" high roof unit with the sleeper section bare and have a custom put in there. I'd like something similar to the Bentz I have now with the convertabed etc. and think it could be done.

I don't know what it would weigh empty but can't imagine it being over 26k at the absolute most so that would leave you another 26k load capacity and probably more. With a company that pays E rate for loads over 13500 and with 30' of box I'd think they'd keep you fairly busy with E class loads unless they are just swamped with E units. I don't think that's the case with any companies as they seem to mostly have D and smaller based on truckstop and highway sightings. It's an interesting concept to kick around anyway.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hi guys, Cabover talk huh? WOW

The idea is nice regarding the backhaul talk,
thats all well and good.

However, I have a question... do you like leg room?

Next question is... do you like a smooth ride?

The reason behind cabovers not being more popular resides in those 2 questions.

Your sitting right ON TOP of the front axle. That means EVERYTHING you Roll over with those tires is felt in the cab.

I like the idea, I'm not knocking it totally. The idea behind a larger backhaul and more space for freight is a great one.
Test drive a cabover though 1st. I mean take it for a solid 15 to 20 min. bare minimum test drive - and not just in the city streets around the dealer, run it thru it's paces.
You might be unpleasantly surprised.
The cabovers have a superb turning radius, nothing beats them on that.

Regarding the sleeper box with the bathroom, it's a 36" sleeper, with a 40 gallon freshwater tank, a toilet/shower combo.
AASleeper down in TX makes them, Larry is the man down there to talk with, him or his wife. They have a great website, with a link somewhere here on EO I'm pretty sure.

I love the Columbia Shaker with the Mid Roof, that was sweeeet!

BigBus'

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The toilet/shower is a separate unit that sits right behind the cab so it doesn't tilt. The new Argosy has a larger access panel in the front so short of an overhead/overhaul you don't tilt the cab. I'm eventually going to look into if you can order the 110" high roof unit with the sleeper section bare and have a custom put in there. I'd like something similar to the Bentz I have now with the convertabed etc. and think it could be done

Indiana custom trucks has done several of these.
Front cab tilts and sleeper stays mounted on the truck frame.
Stock sleeper is 72" . Not sure it would be large enough for a shower setup ect.
May be easier to order a daycab and seperate sleeper. I would think with a shower setup, you will need 84" of sleeper space.

Interesting concept though.
Davekc

Dark_0ne

Expert Expediter
I have a bit of an advantage on the ride front. I have driven an Argosy, and I have driven the ol' school cabovers. You are 100% correct about the ride with the ol' school type, but I can honestly say that the Argosy is in a class of it's own. I'm 6'5" and I had plenty of legroom, the ride is no better or worse then the Century it's based on. This comes from back to back cross Canada trips in one over the frost heaves of Northern Ontario. Rumour has it that air ride front ends are coming soon too.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The "Shower Bunk" that AA Sleeper makes is a 36" sleeper, the shower/toilet is on one side, and the rest is a "changing area", with a large side entry door (similar to an old narrow Pete' Sleeper) into the "shower bunk". I like the idea behind the 110" cab layout, you could probably sqeeze in all that then. You'd need to figure/measure exactly how much space lies behind the front seats when they're back on their tracks as far as they will go.

The sleeper I had Dave, you could get with a restroom like that... like I said, all one would need to do is eliminate the side entry door and move the bathroom forward - and have a nice bunk across the back wall.

Imagine being able to take a solid 15 min. hot shower- right in the cab of the truck... without even having to "set-up" anything. all I had to do was plug in the water heater about 45 min. to an hour prior to my shower (and make sure the inverter was on). The house 5 gallon hot water heater fit nicely under the sink in the galley area.
That was a 2x2' Fiberglass mold shower stall.

Gotta run to Florence, then DC tomorrow, return Sat. then go to FL for a few days (for Mothers Day/Mom) then come back up to SC and run out again on Thurs. to DC again... or Williamsburg.

Happy Trails to all for now... BigBus' Bob