areocell vrs sprinter--comments please

garebel

Seasoned Expediter
i am gonna be shopping soon and was wondering what other drivers think are the disadvantages and advantages are between sprinters and areocell--unicell van??input please,,,thanks

aileron

Expert Expediter
I thought you could haul 2000 lbs in a sprinter 2500?

Greg, my 2500 sprinter weighs in at 5260 lbs with me in it and all my crap. GVWR is 8550 lbs, so legally I can theoretically haul 3290 lbs. But I will not put more than 2500 lbs back there.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
One ton = 2000 lbs

When we were used to the 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton 1 ton stuff, that was really all the vehicle could haul. That was started I think in the 1950's as a way to market the different models - OK maybe the early 60's.

The 1958 GMC Apache we had didn't haul much but it was a 1500. The 1966 Dodge 3/4 ton actually hauled 1500 lbs and the 1968 and 1973 Chevrolet's hauled just about 2000 lbs.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had an interesting conversation with a guy a few years back. I tried to explain to him that "1 ton" was just a nick name. To him, it was set in stone that his van was a 1 ton. I suggested he use the Cat scale at the TS we were at as I was certain that he could haul a minimum of 500# pounds more, maybe 7 or 8. He didn't want to part with that much money.

moose

Veteran Expediter
There is a friend of a friend that i know in M.N .
he is building a large custom fiberglass items .
and we had a conversation at the local bar ,(he drink, i talk...)
i was surprised to get a call a few weeks back ,
he was looking into a Sprinter conversion ,in his mind,to take a dully sprinter chassis ,get rid of the inner wheel , and build the truck from there ,he said he walk into the local dealer ,and drilled the salesmans mind off ,and really think he can pull it off.

i told him that i will post here to see if some fish will bite ,but as an owner ,i can't see how i can make money ,unless i have a same household team in it ,in which case i rather get them a real truck ,like a Hino .

any fish around here ?

Last edited:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i am gonna be shopping soon and was wondering what other drivers think are the disadvantages and advantages are between sprinters and areocell--unicell van??input please,,,thanks

lots of stuff in the archieves. try "van vs sprinter", or "van" or "sprinter". its all there.

guido4475

Not a Member
Why would you consider a Hino A real truck? lol.

If anything, I would go with a one ton With a Spartan or Rockwood body on it, 12'. Alot more room than any van conversion, except a Sprinter.The most room for the money.I found a 2010 today for 25k.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I didn't think there were any hino faithful left.

For searching for "van" try "cargo van". The site search doesn't look for three letter words. Three letter tag search does work.

As for the one ton I'm looking for I'm using the non-archaic terminology. I'm looking for the highest weight capacity at/below 10,000 gross vehicle weight without the dual rear wheels. Sprinter doesn't do that.

eb

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
That was the old me...I lilled that person yesterday for being so **** stupid....

The one I turned down was 190 DH for 265 miles paid to nowhere Iowa with probable 200 miles DH...and killed off all day to-day and sitting all weekend..NO thanks....they sold it probably to some one (not saying who) *LOL* that takes them kind...;) I guess there is always a hungry ASE driver out there...:p

guido4475

Not a Member
The one I turned down was 190 DH for 265 miles paid to nowhere Iowa with probable 200 miles DH...and killed off all day to-day and sitting all weekend..NO thanks....they sold it probably to some one (not saying who) *LOL* that takes them kind...;) I guess there is always a hungry ASE driver out there...:p

This may be somewhat true, my farm animal freindly freind, but at least we dont have these senseless rules of getting bumped out of our position by some other driver that decides to relocate to my area.*LOL*!