Are There Any Honest Fleet Owners In The Expediting Business?

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
steps
1) Decide what you want to offer local, regional, long haul/otr.
2) Get your own authority.
2) Find at least two or three local good paying regular shippers or companies 2- 3 good runs per week each they are out there.
3) Service the hell out of them, do what you say, do it well.
4) Keep your prices reasonable and say no to cheap freight.
5) Market your business tell the customer what seperates you from the other guy in town
6) Most Importantly Always, Always, Always be honest and reiliable
7)Get to Know a good Attorney they can make your life easier.
If you have any questions
call me at
585 414 7732
Bob Wolf
Wolf Trucking
[email protected]

HockeyRob

Seasoned Expediter

What carrier(s) are you qualified with? Will the carrier give you a list of fleet owners to start interviewing? Have you established a relationship with someone at your carrier whose advice you would trust? Does your carrier look at you as an asset rather than just a seat filler? If so, they are more likely to assist you. I drove for 4 different owners, at 3 companies before buying my own truck. The first was an experience I wouldn't want to repeat, but it gave me the opportunity to build my reputation with one of the smaller carriers (Panther ). Nobody is going to do more for us than we are willing to do for ourselves. I don't think any fleet owner can promise a specific income unless they have their own customers.

O.K. To Respond to that, I was Qualified through Panther, who is Perhaps the Worst Expediting Company I have ever Dealt with! They Screwed me More than any Carrier had the Right to Screw any Driver. I was also Qualified through Fed Ex Custom Critical. However since My Haz-Mat Endorsement had Expired along with My Original CDL, I am No Longer Qualified through Fed Ex Custom Critical. I never did Renew the Haz-Mat Endorsement when I renewed My CDL. Therefore, I am a Free Agent!

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines

What carrier(s) are you qualified with? Will the carrier give you a list of fleet owners to start interviewing? Have you established a relationship with someone at your carrier whose advice you would trust? Does your carrier look at you as an asset rather than just a seat filler? If so, they are more likely to assist you. I drove for 4 different owners, at 3 companies before buying my own truck. The first was an experience I wouldn't want to repeat, but it gave me the opportunity to build my reputation with one of the smaller carriers (Panther ). Nobody is going to do more for us than we are willing to do for ourselves. I don't think any fleet owner can promise a specific income unless they have their own customers.

O.K. To Respond to that, I was Qualified through Panther, who is Perhaps the Worst Expediting Company I have ever Dealt with! They Screwed me More than any Carrier had the Right to Screw any Driver. I was also Qualified through Fed Ex Custom Critical. However since My Haz-Mat Endorsement had Expired along with My Original CDL, I am No Longer Qualified through Fed Ex Custom Critical. I never did Renew the Haz-Mat Endorsement when I renewed My CDL. Therefore, I am a Free Agent!

How did Panther screw you as you put it? I have been with Panther almost four years and have never been done wrong. We came over from another carrier that we were with for almost fourteen years with only four trucks. We have done very well and added ten more trucks to our fleet since signing on with Panther Expedited Services. Sounds to me like you didn't run team and ran solo for Panther.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
They're a few out there..
Lucas, Mike, Wanda, Tammy Wells out of Hillsboro TN are among the finest I've known with Panther, If Fed Ex suits ya you can't beat Dwayne and Teresa Foster out of Mahomet IL.... can't be beat.

Last edited:

HockeyRob

Seasoned Expediter
How did Panther screw you as you put it? I have been with Panther almost four years and have never been done wrong. We came over from another carrier that we were with for almost fourteen years with only four trucks. We have done very well and added ten more trucks to our fleet since signing on with Panther Expedited Services. Sounds to me like you didn't run team and ran solo for Panther.

O.K. To Answer Your Question; Screwjob #1 was they Refused to Make a Prior Fleet Owner I was Contracted through Pay Me what she Still OWES Me which is Close to $700.00.
Screwjob #2 was when they Hit Me with a Recovery Charge when A Tire on the Truck I was Driving Sustained a Tread Separation, and I asked that the Freight be Swapped Out at that Point!
The Final Screwjob Occurred when they Put Me Out Of Service and Took a 1100+ Mile Load from me without giving me a Chance to Respond to it! Then REFUSING to Restore My RIGHTFUL Board Position, when being Placed Back In Service! My Cell Phone DID NOT RING, even though they Claim that they Called me, even though I KNOW THEY DID NOT! I WILL NEVER AGAIN Run for Panther! I am Glad you have been Successful, I suppose there is always an Exception to the Rule! One More thing, I WILL NEVER RUN TEAM! Running "Team" for me is a Drop-Dead Deal Breaker! Panther has the Nerve to claim that I was "Abusive" which I am not! I Let it be known when I believed something was Wrong! One Other Problem was that Panther Consistently Dispatched the Good Loads with Good Mileage & Good Money to Trucks that are Owned by Panther Dispatchers! That's how I got Screwed by Panther! They have Absolutely No Empathy for their Drivers!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

O.K. To Answer Your Question; Screwjob #1 was they Refused to Make a Prior Fleet Owner I was Contracted through Pay Me what she Still OWES Me which is Close to $700.00.
Screwjob #2 was when they Hit Me with a Recovery Charge when A Tire on the Truck I was Driving Sustained a Tread Separation, and I asked that the Freight be Swapped Out at that Point!
The Final Screwjob Occurred when they Put Me Out Of Service and Took a 1100+ Mile Load from me without giving me a Chance to Respond to it! Then REFUSING to Restore My RIGHTFUL Board Position, when being Placed Back In Service! My Cell Phone DID NOT RING, even though they Claim that they Called me, even though I KNOW THEY DID NOT! I WILL NEVER AGAIN Run for Panther! I am Glad you have been Successful, I suppose there is always an Exception to the Rule! One More thing, I WILL NEVER RUN TEAM! Running "Team" for me is a Drop-Dead Deal Breaker! Panther has the Nerve to claim that I was "Abusive" which I am not! I Let it be known when I believed something was Wrong! One Other Problem was that Panther Consistently Dispatched the Good Loads with Good Mileage & Good Money to Trucks that are Owned by Panther Dispatchers! That's how I got Screwed by Panther! They have Absolutely No Empathy for their Drivers!

Well let me see. For starters, Panther did have a couple dispatchers that owned trucks prior to Fenway taking them over. Quite a bit longer than four years ago.
I don't believe they had enough trucks to impact anything.
As for a fleet owner not paying you, sorry to hear but Panther can't get in the middle of that since you were a contractor to the fleet owner.
As far as not calling you, don't know. Either the load sat to long on your truck with no response or something else happened. We haven't experienced that but who knows. Same with a recovery. Too hard to respond to since you are the only one providing information.

HockeyRob

Seasoned Expediter
Well let me see. For starters, Panther did have a couple dispatchers that owned trucks prior to Fenway taking them over. Quite a bit longer than four years ago.
I don't believe they had enough trucks to impact anything.
As for a fleet owner not paying you, sorry to hear but Panther can't get in the middle of that since you were a contractor to the fleet owner.
As far as not calling you, don't know. Either the load sat to long on your truck with no response or something else happened. We haven't experienced that but who knows. Same with a recovery. Too hard to respond to since you are the only one providing information.

Well, If I was allowed to go Back Through Panther, Chances are I would have Loved to Work For You; but since that can't be the Case, I am Glad that you're successful and I wish you all the Best! Hopefully I may Meet You somewhere down the Road. I may not go back on the Road until after My Youngest Child Graduates from High School 3 Years from now.

HockeyRob

Seasoned Expediter
steps
1) Decide what you want to offer local, regional, long haul/otr.
2) Get your own authority.
2) Find at least two or three local good paying regular shippers or companies 2- 3 good runs per week each they are out there.
3) Service the hell out of them, do what you say, do it well.
4) Keep your prices reasonable and say no to cheap freight.
5) Market your business tell the customer what seperates you from the other guy in town
6) Most Importantly Always, Always, Always be honest and reiliable
7)Get to Know a good Attorney they can make your life easier.
If you have any questions
call me at
585 414 7732
Bob Wolf
Wolf Trucking
[email protected]

Doesn't getting one's Own Authority Costly? Also isn't Hiring an Attorney Costly as well? Reason I ask is because, I Openly have Made More than My Fair Share of Mistakes, when I Started Out. How Much Start Up Money would You Advise I Have Set Aside once I get Back on the Road, after My Youngest Child Graduates from High School 3 Years From Now? Please advise; any Advice would be Greatly Appreciated.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter

Doesn't getting one's Own Authority Costly? Also isn't Hiring an Attorney Costly as well? Reason I ask is because, I Openly have Made More than My Fair Share of Mistakes, when I Started Out. How Much Start Up Money would You Advise I Have Set Aside once I get Back on the Road, after My Youngest Child Graduates from High School 3 Years From Now? Please advise; any Advice would be Greatly Appreciated.

Yup. Who said this was cheap? 6 months operating expenses is what is suggested.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Well, If I was allowed to go Back Through Panther, Chances are I would have Loved to Work For You; but since that can't be the Case, I am Glad that you're successful and I wish you all the Best! Hopefully I may Meet You somewhere down the Road. I may not go back on the Road until after My Youngest Child Graduates from High School 3 Years from now.

My advice would be to wait the three years. Those are years of your child you can't get back and might regret later. Your child will remember the time you spent and were available to them long before anything you did as a career.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
First, GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING AND A SIGNATURE,
Second, Dont believe the hype of GIANT PAYDAYS, SIGN ON BONUSES AND FREE TRUCKS=BS
Third, Due Diligence means talking to the drivers on the road, When I contracted with John he gave me a deductions sheet, everything was clear, concise, we both signed it, and its a fair way for everyone to know what to expect.
COMMUNICATION, If you have any Issue it should be cleared up before you go another mile, letting unresolved pay, or deductions go on forever would never fly with me, or my employer.
Get on that phone and find out WHY, WHAT, HOW, WHEN, and if its a issue thats over money then PUT IT IN WRITING, fax copys back and forth and then nobodys left holding a bag. Im not going to be paid, but you want me to pay for the new engine in the truck, and tires,and fuel, but my paycheck is non existent or has some deductions I didnt approve...PARK, CALL and get it straight right then and there....Promises are cheap, Ive had companys tell me I was getting a 3 cents a mile safety bonus, then when I had a flat tire say SORRY....NOPE...Get it in writing !!!!

Honesty between Employee, and Employer cant be left to handshakes and promises today, I like what John did with this deduction sheet its the fairest way and upfront....dont be afraid to insist on the IN WRITING, If they waffle on that, THERE WORD isnt anygood to me....always read the smallest print on the contract, thats where the legalese is, the little words that say WE KEEP YOU PAY FOR ANY REASON WE LIKE...

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Get ahold of your attorney and take it to your states labor board they will force him to pay you if you are an employee, posiably if you are a contractor or maby point you in the right dirrection. Find out if you can put a LIEN on the unit you are driving or posiably all the equipmnet in his fleet. Banks dont like to share as the lien holder they will most likely tell him to take care of it. Keep in mind you will have to be patient if the unit is paid off but In some states, he cannot legaly sell or get rid of the vehical without paying you or at least telling the buyer the title is dirty as it follows the title just like the payment book and unpaid highway/fuel taxes or if it has listed it as colateral you will need some information ask your layer. A buyer cannot register the truck or at least he is in for a major headache if the title has a a cloud I know from first hand experiance when I tried to register a car that still had a bank listed as a lien holder after it was paid off. So, the sell or junk a vehical is usualy out. I have placed liens on equipment with VIN numbers to assure payment such as skid steers,etc. A good attorney will tell you the best advice and help you through the process, B.T.W. you might be able to add the cost of chasing down your money to what he owes you.

Last edited:

garyatk

Seasoned Expediter
I put a husband / wife team in one of our trucks a couple weeks ago, and it was one of the biggest nightmares I have had yet. These people figured that once they left with my truck, that they could do exactly as they pleased. They drove hundreds of miles out of route, were late for deliveries by days, threatened to kill me and destroy my truck, and last weekend they held my truck hostage and demanded twice as much money as they earned and were even in possession of all they paperwork needed to get paid for the loads. I had to have the police go to them and tell them that they either needed to turn the truck over to us, or they would be arrested for vehicle theft and embezzlement.

Now when it comes to pay them, because of all the added expenses for their actions, they probably will not see much pay. Of course they will say that I am stealing from them and sue me, but the truth is that the fee's we incurred for late deliveries total up to $1000. Then when you add in the wasted fuel by going out of route for the sightseeing trip they took (600 miles), and the expenses of paying another driver to finish the last load, now you are already past what they would have potentially earned.

Just remember that there are two sides to every story. As a fleet owner, I have found 3 bad drivers for every good one. Mark and Jim, if you read this I REALLY do appreciate you, and I look forward to working with you for a very long time!

BTW... These drivers were not in one of my trucks at Load 1. They have been a blessing and have brought me very good drivers...

Last edited:

HockeyRob

Seasoned Expediter

I put a husband / wife team in one of our trucks a couple weeks ago, and it was one of the biggest nightmares I have had yet. These people figured that once they left with my truck, that they could do exactly as they pleased. They drove hundreds of miles out of route, were late for deliveries by days, threatened to kill me and destroy my truck, and last weekend they held my truck hostage and demanded twice as much money as they earned and were even in possession of all they paperwork needed to get paid for the loads. I had to have the police go to them and tell them that they either needed to turn the truck over to us, or they would be arrested for vehicle theft and embezzlement.

Now when it comes to pay them, because of all the added expenses for their actions, they probably will not see much pay. Of course they will say that I am stealing from them and sue me, but the truth is that the fee's we incurred for late deliveries total up to $1000. Then when you add in the wasted fuel by going out of route for the sightseeing trip they took (600 miles), and the expenses of paying another driver to finish the last load, now you are already past what they would have potentially earned.

Just remember that there are two sides to every story. As a fleet owner, I have found 3 bad drivers for every good one. Mark and Jim, if you read this I REALLY do appreciate you, and I look forward to working with you for a very long time!

BTW... These drivers were not in one of my trucks at Load 1. They have been a blessing and have brought me very good drivers...

Sounds Like you would be a Fleet Owner I would Like to Contract with; in 3 Years when I Plan on Going Back on the Road! I am a Dependable, Honest, Quality Driver with a Stellar On-Time Pick Up & Delivery Record with Panther & Fed Ex Custom Critical. The Reason I am Waiting 3 Years is that's when My Youngest Child Graduates from High School. To add, this will allow me to Set Aside Start-Up Money.

garyatk

Seasoned Expediter

Sounds Like you would be a Fleet Owner I would Like to Contract with; in 3 Years when I Plan on Going Back on the Road! I am a Dependable, Honest, Quality Driver with a Stellar On-Time Pick Up & Delivery Record with Panther & Fed Ex Custom Critical. The Reason I am Waiting 3 Years is that's when My Youngest Child Graduates from High School. To add, this will allow me to Set Aside Start-Up Money.

Keep your experience up to date and we will see what happens. But there are many good fleet owners that post in here to choose from... Good luck to you!

chs007

Seasoned Expediter
Well I have been done wrong by several drivers and just let them go on, I wish drivers could control their use of money. I pay a decent split system and usually have to help them out at first, but after they get going it appears some think i'm a loan company that has to say yes. My split requires the drivers to pay fuel and it appears some get paid in morning and noon they are broke. After this continues I just replace them. Most cases my drivers are paid within 72 hours of dropped load.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Well I have been done wrong by several drivers and just let them go on, I wish drivers could control their use of money. I pay a decent split system and usually have to help them out at first, but after they get going it appears some think i'm a loan company that has to say yes. My split requires the drivers to pay fuel and it appears some get paid in morning and noon they are broke. After this continues I just replace them. Most cases my drivers are paid within 72 hours of dropped load.

If you hire professionals rather than just drivers, that should go away.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Dave just hit the nail on the head. Except the owner must be professional to attract professionals. I don't know Dave but I bet his driver turnover is very low.