Are There Any Honest Fleet Owners In The Expediting Business?

moose

Veteran Expediter
Well I have been done wrong by several drivers and just let them go on, I wish drivers could control their use of money. I pay a decent split system and usually have to help them out at first, but after they get going it appears some think i'm a loan company that has to say yes. My split requires the drivers to pay fuel and it appears some get paid in morning and noon they are broke. After this continues I just replace them. Most cases my drivers are paid within 72 hours of dropped load.
Here are a few things you can do to help them out, and help yourself along the way.

* never give advance money before the escrow account is fully funded.
* never give cash advances in excess of money owed to you by the carrier for runs already completed.
* provide your contract drivers with an up to date cost of fuel,
routinely communicate cost of fuel with them,
and monitor the truck costs.
* pass on 100% of all FSC as it is being paid by the carrier.
* monitor the carrier FSC, and make sure the drivers get paid what they owed from the carrier.
* if needed communicated those costs with the carrier.
* have an intervention plan, to cut YOUR share and help your drivers stay in business thru hard times.

the problem with ever rising fuel costs, is that the FSC is trailing a few weeks behind,
as owners we can help our business partners stay in business, and out performed marginal O/O.
we can cash it back as fuel prices go back down.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Dave just hit the nail on the head. Except the owner must be professional to attract professionals. I don't know Dave but I bet his driver turnover is very low.

Very little hiring. We have a great group of folks that thankfully make my gig pretty enjoyable.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I put a husband / wife team in one of our trucks a couple weeks ago, and it was one of the biggest nightmares I have had yet. These people figured that once they left with my truck, that they could do exactly as they pleased. They drove hundreds of miles out of route, were late for deliveries by days, threatened to kill me and destroy my truck, and last weekend they held my truck hostage and demanded twice as much money as they earned and were even in possession of all they paperwork needed to get paid for the loads. I had to have the police go to them and tell them that they either needed to turn the truck over to us, or they would be arrested for vehicle theft and embezzlement.

Now when it comes to pay them, because of all the added expenses for their actions, they probably will not see much pay. Of course they will say that I am stealing from them and sue me, but the truth is that the fee's we incurred for late deliveries total up to $1000. Then when you add in the wasted fuel by going out of route for the sightseeing trip they took (600 miles), and the expenses of paying another driver to finish the last load, now you are already past what they would have potentially earned.

Just remember that there are two sides to every story. As a fleet owner, I have found 3 bad drivers for every good one. Mark and Jim, if you read this I REALLY do appreciate you, and I look forward to working with you for a very long time!

BTW... These drivers were not in one of my trucks at Load 1. They have been a blessing and have brought me very good drivers...

Sorry to hear that a husband and wife team would do that to you. I can say that we are thankful we have some great teams that want to make money. We have a tractor team that is one of the best teams we have ever had. They take care of our truck like it's their own and really understand how things work in the world of expediting. I let them do there thing and keep them loaded and they are very happy. You also have to keep it on a business level with drivers and try not to be there buddies. Some teams you can build a relationship that will last for years, like our tractor team. They are all business and do the job and look at the big picture. I wish every one of our teams was like them. Thanks Captain Kirk and Ms. Kat for all you do.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Blushing.

Sent from my VS920 4G using EO Forums

No reason to Blush, Dave got one of the best teams out there when he got you 2!! While I had no problem offering you my CV, you are where you need to be and you are there because of the type of people you both are....A "tip of my hat" to Capt Kirk, You and Dave....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Update from this owner...this fri my driver will own the van he has been driving/renting from me..he will become the O/O and he will get a rise in his net income as he will no lohger be paying me the rental fee....He lived up to his agreement with me and we both benefited from it. I signed off on the title to the CV this evening and it will be mailed to him this fri when i take the final rental payment.

I make this public simply to show that it isn't about one owner or one driver being honest, its about entering into a professional agreement with another professional that you know will do the right thing...I was messed over by a previous driver because i acted out of "compassion" and a desire to help someone out...that cost me...with the current driver, i acted in a strict business manner with an individual that did the same..and as we both reaped the benefit, we will both celebrite the fact that the desired outcome has been reached by both parties.

Do you own due diligence, and make your agreement with people that work as professionals and do the same yourself....it all comes from that....Congrats Tracy & Laura.....

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If I remember right didn't Kat drive for a moron once that ripped her off ? Of so, I'm glad they were able to overcome that and continue expediting. Bruno's lucky to have them. The good point is he's smart enough to know he's lucky. Thru the years it's been easy to get a few trucks. Owners that can cultivate relationships with their drivers that garners respect going each way will win the game. Driver turnover is the key to successful trucking.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have worked for 2 owners and both paid on time 1 st one took 40 % of everything even the deadhead when i was paying fuel my present employer takes his 40% of only the loaded miles i pay for all repairs on my credit card he repays me in just a few days after i call him or scan andsend them to him the rule in the beginning was to keep the truck rolling if the repair is over 1000.00 ill call before .oterwise get it delivered i havent heard from him in 3 weeks because things are running good pay is there every monday 8 am best person ive ever worked for in 32 yrs. Of driving.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
after talking with some fleet owners...maybe the question should be is there any honest drivers out there? :rolleyes:..drivers that can follow instructions...Drivers that don't just talk the talk but can walk the walk.....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
There are good drivers. When they're lucky enough to get with a good owner everyone wins. When they get with a bad owner I believe a lot of them move on to other types of trucking with the feeling expediting isn't what it's cracked up to be.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
So true. Went to LTL for 15 mths and returned to a different carrier and proactive fleet owner. Also from ST Reefer to TT reefer.

Sent from my VS920 4G using EO Forums

chs007

Seasoned Expediter
If you hire professionals rather than just drivers, that should go away.

Well the last driver was a so called professional from this site, well I found out fast he was not an true expeditor, 650 mile run in cargo van 17 hours to get there and late...hmmn check out his 19 year history well now wondering if it was his friends or relatives I called. When the dispatching company got a little heated of being late, well lets say I was going to have to go 700 miles to recover my van..so much for professionals, give me a man who really wants to earn a living and get the job done. Had pretty good luck with some but had some real winners ( Not ones you would keep} But will keep trying.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Well the last driver was a so called professional from this site, well I found out fast he was not an true expeditor, 650 mile run in cargo van 17 hours to get there and late...hmmn check out his 19 year history well now wondering if it was his friends or relatives I called. When the dispatching company got a little heated of being late, well lets say I was going to have to go 700 miles to recover my van..so much for professionals, give me a man who really wants to earn a living and get the job done. Had pretty good luck with some but had some real winners ( Not ones you would keep} But will keep trying.

A previous carrier should have been able to vouch for the guy if he had prior experience. Does sound like a bad experience. Hopefully you found a better person. Just because they are on this site would not necessarily constitute a "true professional".

wheeljam

Seasoned Expediter
My fleet owner is great. On friday we get a pay sheet with a breakdown of everything he got from Tri-State. On thursday we get our money deposited on our TAB card. Plenty of times something has come up and he has given us advances on our pay, a few hundred dollars a few times. Something breaks on the truck " get it in the shop " is his response. See something wrong on the paysheet that doesn't match our records we call him up, and discuss it. Usually it was just a mistype or some other input error and he fixes it right then while still on the phone. Don't think I would work for anyone else.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I drove for dave (Bruno) and he was always fair in everything he did with the drivers. Thats why im going back to drive for him since my other business venture wasn't I expected.

chs007

Seasoned Expediter
If you hire professionals rather than just drivers, that should go away.

put on a potential driveri from michigan city, IN It took him 18 hours to do a 600 mile run, and was late. He said he lost his fuel card which had 250.oo advance on it and said after he picked up did not have fuel money because of it. In order to get run done I advanced another 200. Because he was late he got into a tiffy match with the dispatcher which is not good. well in order to get him back her I paid 150 for fuel to come back to my place in Fairborn, Ohio. All evening last night he strung me alone with lies and would not tell me location of the van. finally he would not answer. I had to get police involved to find out where it was, it was in Michigan city, Well today finally found out where it was, he parked it in a project, ghetto type, not his address, unlock with keys in it. he even siphoned the gas out according to an older gentleman there, when I pulled up ask me why I was there. Police arrived but there was no problem , Bad thing he was supposed to be very religious ,and belived it with his bible in hand.

Last edited: