Are speed cameras better than speed limiters?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
See this

Speed cameras apply to all vehicles, not just trucks.

Yes Phil it does fundamentally apply to trucks as much as it does cars. You just figured this out?

But the question is really two different solutions to a problem, speeding.

You can not possible put cameras everywhere to slow people down and like a few cities where cameras are not functioning - they are working on the fear of a ticket instead of actually enforcing the laws. A lot like when cities will put a cop car on the side of the road with a dummy (yes that still happens), there is a fear not to pass the cop speeding.

Speed limiters work all the time on the vehicle, be it a car or truck. It removes the human ambition to run faster than the crowd and feel special.

Oh that's right, you can't read my reply, you have me on your ignore list....

aileron

Expert Expediter
Greg, do you really need to remind us every SINGLE time you respond to ATeam's posts that you are on his ignore list? GET A LIFE, man! You are pathetic. You are on my ignore list also from now on.

aileron

Expert Expediter
See this

Speed cameras apply to all vehicles, not just trucks.

Phil, in my neck of the woods they installed a few traffic light cameras. They got my sister once. Well, right now they are not functioning any more because they did not bring in enough money. It cost more to operate them than they would bring in.

Maybe with speed cameras it would be different, I don't know.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not sure on the speed cameras, but these types of cameras were banned last month in Mississippi. There report determined that they cause more accidents and were used just as a source of revenue for local municipalities.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Here in Ontario "red light" cameras are installed by munipicalities(sp?) at intersections with high collision numbers.
SPEED CAMERAS are apparently quite common in England.
There are many tales over at Trucknet(UK) of drivers being caught.
Apparently the courts there rarely contest the information provided by the camera.
"Guilty As Charged, M'Lord!" is the easiest way to cope.

And Phil, if you are refering specifically to the Ontario situation just remember:
105 = 106
105 KM/H was passed and now, something never before allowed, 106 feet of trailers can be hauled on certain routes by certain carriers. It was reported on another site that a Quebec based carrier has purchased several new tractors with specs that will allow them to run road trains between Quebec City and Toronto.
Road trains were given trials on Ontario roads going back to the 1970's. Until now, they were never allowed.
David Bradley of the OTA was the main lobbyist in favour of the Speed Limiter legislation. Now we see why.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One is re-active the other is pro-active. I am not really sure the two are similar enough in what they do to compare. Speed cameras are location specific and limiters are not.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I was not posting with Ontario in mind. The article I linked to just got me thinking about all vehicles operating under the same posted speed limit and no vehicles being mechanically speed limited.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
on speedlimiter, japan has the right way of doing it
3 marker lights on top of the cab truck if the right one was lite up truck was under speed limit if outside light was lited the truck was doing speed limit if middle lite was on the truck was speeding and ticket was send to owner or pres of company and it was up to him to deal with it and truck and buses have the right away if driver put on his turn signal on cars had to give up the right away