Are diesel CVs really worth it?

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
Mine was a Ford E-350 6.0 liter. I could get oil filters but Ford for some reason had a lock on the fuel filters. Only get them at a dealer. My next door neighbor was a fleet mechanic and he could only get them at a dealer too.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Hmm, that means that Ford was worse than the Sprinter as far as filters availability. I never bought any of my filters for my Sprinter at the dealer. Sure, you cant walk in walmart and get them, but I buy them online. $6 for an oil filter, $25 for the fuel filter, about $20 for the air filter.

DRIVERDUDE

Seasoned Expediter
That may not true now. The guy at Advance told me that dealers keep a lock on some replacement parts for some vehicles for a couple of years when they change something at the factory. You would think a fuel filter would be a regular maintenance item. Most people don't put miles on a vehicle like we do.

guido4475

Not a Member
Mine was a Ford E-350 6.0 liter. I could get oil filters but Ford for some reason had a lock on the fuel filters. Only get them at a dealer. My next door neighbor was a fleet mechanic and he could only get them at a dealer too.

How long ago was this lack of availability a problem? Even years ago I have always seen 6.0 fuel filters everywhere.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Considering what the E.P.A. Has reduced the Diesel engine to, Im sure Rudolph Diesel is treading water. It's said his body was disposed at sea, So he would have busted out of his grave by now if he were actually buried.

Side topic.........
However, some say his death was faked or foul play as his body was never identified. He was identified by his belongings off a badly decomposed body found way out on the North Sea.

Bob Wolf.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Considering what the E.P.A. Has reduced the Diesel engine to, Im sure Rudolph Diesel is treading water. It's said his body was disposed at sea, So he would have busted out of his grave by now if he were actually buried.

Side topic.........
However, some say his death was faked or foul play as his body was never identified. He was identified by his belongings off a badly decomposed body found way out on the North Sea.

Bob Wolf.

Interesting side topic

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If it's a 2.5L OM647 Diesel engine it sure is worth it! If taken care of can go 900k give or take. :)