APU with all the bells, or roof air with portable genset?

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I was afraid someone would want a pix. I believe the install was easier than the pix's. At least I have now learned how to do that.

Attachments

• MVC-045S.JPG
    MVC-045S.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 109
  • MVC-047S.JPG
    MVC-047S.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 110

guido4475

Not a Member
It looks awesome.Are you going to enclose the generator to keep the rain, snow, etc off of it in the winter? That is something that you can be proud of.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
It looks awesome.Are you going to enclose the generator to keep the rain, snow, etc off of it in the winter? That is something that you can be proud of.

Thanks for the complement. At the present, I plan to make a plexi glass cover for the control panel. I also considered a sheild of some sort for the side facing the front of the truck. Other than that, it is pretty much weatherproof. The vent holes that are at several different places, are not open behind them. The air has to make a bend after entering (if that makes sense). In other words, if some water did blow in the openings, it cannot get on anything. It will just run down and drain out the bottom openings. The side facing the front has the muffler behind it. Same scenario as the rest of unit, water could blow in, but wouldn't actually get on muffler. My only concern here is slush buildup in winter. That is why I think a sheild might be necessary.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
UPDATE!

I have now used my gen and rooftop enough to have a little more facts about it.

It is averaging .38 gals of fuel consumption per hour of use. I am happy with that. In general, long story short, I have accomplished exactly what I was trying to do. I can sit in the cab in the Georgia sun and stay comfortable. I have let it run 32 hours without shutting it down. Zero oil consumption. Zero trash in fuel filter. Although it did have a piece of metal shaving in the oil filter when I changed oil at 20 hour interval (recommended 1st change). 100 hours after that. I am using Lucas in it. Can't hurt I guess. Is it too loud? It is no louder than a reefer and no one has complained. The only thing I have noticed is the noise of the fan motor on the rooftop unit. Or maybe I should say noise of the air coming out. Have to turn TV up to be able to hear. My next project is to put speaker by my head so I don't have to have TV so loud. Several of my other expeditor buddies sure like it, so I am very happy. I certainly have noticed a savings in fuel already. Plus my poor ole truck can now get it's rest also. And with 6KW of power, I can run everything I have at same time with no fear of overload.

Last edited:

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
bluejaybee,great looking unit and install. And you are right,the savings are going to be HUGE. I would think that the savings will more than pay off what you have spent in about a years use of the unit.

Also the hours on the truck engine are are going to be much less.

Our last truck (alumijunk) had the Aux APU on it,and it had a very short lifespan. After that we had to rely on running the truck engine only for heat,a/c, and power and the accumulative hours were massive.

We are much better off now with our rooftop a/c (carrier air V ) and onan generator.:cool:

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Our last truck (alumijunk) had the Aux APU on it,and it had a very short lifespan. After that we had to rely on running the truck engine only for heat,a/c, and power and the accumulative hours were massive.

We are much better off now with our rooftop a/c (carrier air V ) and onan generator.:cool:

Thanks for the complement. With your AirV rooftop, does the air noise seem excessive to you while trying to listen to TV or radio? Maybe because I have 60 inch sleeper is why I think it is loud. Doesn't bother me sleeping (sorta like it while sleeping). Sure don't hear anything outside unless it is super loud. Ha!

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Yes the carrier unit does make some noise,I don't really think it is excessive tho'. And like you,we like some noise like that when we are sleeping (kinda like "white" noise).

Be sure and check the pullout filter screens often,as they clog up fairly quick and affect the operation of the a/c.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Yep, some noise is good. All in all, I am glad I went this route. #1. I had the money, so didn't have to go in debt. #2. My 2000 Pete has 349000 miles on it. Not bad for that age, but idling doesn't help it. #3. I can get some quality rest in the heat of the day without worrying about my truck running. Believe it or not, and you may already know, sleeping under a light blanket in the summer time is great. Ha! Oh, how I love it.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
what is the vibration in operation lik?. the carrier i had on an fl70 and 60 was like magic fingers at night. did you rubber mount the unit to the frame?.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
what is the vibration in operation lik?. the carrier i had on an fl70 and 60 was like magic fingers at night. did you rubber mount the unit to the frame?.

The rooftop came with a rubber gasket about an inch thick, premounted to the bottom side of the unit. The gasket seals to keep water out and I am sure it helps the vibration also. So far, I haven't noticed any vibration with the rooftop. Other than the noise of the air blowing out, I am very satisfied with the job it does. Not that it is excessively noisy, it is only noticed when trying to hear the TV. The units air compressor cycling is barely heard and there is no shaking or bumping when it kicks in. Like I said, I am happy with mine. As I stated earlier in a post, my sleeper had a 14 X 14 inch opening already framed up with 3/4 inch aluminum square supports. All I had to do was cut the top and headliner out. I am sure this made a difference in the vibration factor also.

Also, got to use this in Texas this week for 2 days at feels like 100+ degree temperatures. Rooftop left big puddles of condensation where I was parked. Me? I stayed cool and comfortable. Such a life!

Last edited:

raylawrence

Expert Expediter
The carrier Air V unit is definately an option to consider. With 13.5K and 15K btu available, standard and low profile units, you have cooling power and good looks.

Ray Lawrence
President
Espar of Michigan
http://www.esparofmichigan.com

PROUD SPONSOR OF THE EO FORUM

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
UPDATE!!!

While I am still satisfied with the operation of my genset and rooftop, I am afraid I have seen the first signs of what might become a problem with the genset. That is road vibration. Like, loose bolts here and there. I now carry loctite with me. But the first major component is the air filter housing. Snapped right off at the manifold. No problem, get another one. Now it, too, snapped. I am taking it to shop in morning to see if we can maybe beef it up a little. Maybe add an additional brace to it. While doing my usual wiggle this and shake that routine when servicing, I find my fuel filter is beginning to get play in its mount bracket. So, what started out as a good thing, may turn around and haunt me. If I have to make extra brackets to support everything on it, I will not be able to reach or get to anything on it. Only time will tell. After finding the first 2 or 3 loose bolts, a thought ran across my mind of this unit not being designed as a mobile unit. The loose bolts I can handle as long as a little Loctite will hold them. But if everytime I turn around, I am having to replace parts or put extra braces on, I don't know if it was a good idea or not. I guess I have found 15 bolts loose. And I can live with that. I find less each time I check. Just have to keep an eye on it.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
It is rigid and tight. I know what ur thinking. And it may come to that, although, it will take a little thought on best way to do it and still have assurance it won't come off truck. This unit is some kind of heavy. Maybe all I need is thick rubber pads or strips around the mount bracket. But it looks like I would have to tighten it just as tight to keep it on truck.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Definitely pay attention to the kind of vibration isolator you use. The unit I had on my roof (emphasis on "had") didn't have bolt through pads, and all of them completely separated. I pulled into the driveway, heard a clunk, took a look and found the unit a couple inches out of place and only held on by the fuel and electric lines. I consider that a lucky day.

eb

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Definitely pay attention to the kind of vibration isolator you use. The unit I had on my roof (emphasis on "had") didn't have bolt through pads, and all of them completely separated. I pulled into the driveway, heard a clunk, took a look and found the unit a couple inches out of place and only held on by the fuel and electric lines. I consider that a lucky day.

eb

Not sure what you had on your roof, but my rooftop unit is not a problem. It is my genset I have mounted under my box. And as has been mentioned, I have no isolator, rubber or anything to absorb vibration. So, I believe that is going to be the culprit of the loose bolts and parts breaking. My mounting bolts are staying tight. It is the bolts holding covers and components on. In other words, just the bolts that hold everything together. I have a friend who is pretty mechanically inclined and I am going to have him look at it with me and see what we can come up with in regards to dampen that vibration. I am convinced it is the vibration from the road that is causing it. The generator is pretty steady when running. I feel no vibration from the gen itself while it is running.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If vibration is a problem, then go get four rubber donuts that is used for body mounts from a junk yard. Any full frame GM product will do. Use new bolts and spacers.

The age of the rubber donuts will give it the right cushioning effect needed.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
If vibration is a problem, then go get four rubber donuts that is used for body mounts from a junk yard. Any full frame GM product will do. Use new bolts and spacers.

The age of the rubber donuts will give it the right cushioning effect needed.

I like that idea. Plus, it should be simple and inexpensive. I will look into it. Thanks!!!

dragonrider

Expert Expediter
Those rubber mounts are available at speed shops and even regular auto patrs stores,use lock tite or lock nuts on quality bolts.Hoe about a side mount tool box big enough to mount it in side?,not as cheap,but might be a idea