APU in WG FCC ?????

Lufftrucking

Expert Expediter
I am new to expediting. I am wondering how important is it to have an APU in a WG team with FCC. I am looking for or going to build one and the dealer has a used truck set up for WG and he is saying that an APU is not really important in a WG unit. Not sure he is saying that just to sell a truck without it or not. Obviosuly the previous owner didnt think it was that important. So is it really needed or not, I guess thats my delimema. If im gonna get a truck for FCC I might as well get it the way to keep me rolling and not miss out on any loads. Any help would be great. Thanks

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If you don't mind idling your truck 24/7 for heat or AC, then an APU isn't necessary. But if you'd rather save the fuel and wear & tear on your truck, an APU is a 'must have'. It will pay for itself, probably several times over, during the life of the truck.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Apu will save you on fuel,as for needing it to get into W/G,its not,but were you told about the waiting list to get into W/G.You just dont start with FECC and then get right into W/G

Reactions: 1 person

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is not meant as an insult it's meant as help. Based on your question I'd say you need to do a LOT more research into expediting. As mentioned, an APU is basically a must have item for fuel and money savings. It has nothing to do with WG at all but a salesman telling you it's not needed is someone trying to sell a truck not give you good advice. I'd encourage you to read back at least one full year in the general, newbies and recruiter forums. That doesn't mean every word of every post, it means read any of the threads that catch your eye either because it's a subject you don't know about and need to learn or it piques your interest.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I am new to expediting. I am wondering how important is it to have an APU in a WG team with FCC. I am looking for or going to build one and the dealer has a used truck set up for WG and he is saying that an APU is not really important in a WG unit. Not sure he is saying that just to sell a truck without it or not. Obviosuly the previous owner didnt think it was that important. So is it really needed or not, I guess thats my delimema. If im gonna get a truck for FCC I might as well get it the way to keep me rolling and not miss out on any loads. Any help would be great. Thanks

If you like the truck and the truck is a good deal just have one put on. An APU will pay for itself in todays market in about 18 months. If it can save you $500.00 a month in 18 months thats' $9000.00. Do what Leo said and look up posts about APU.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I forgot one other consideration: California isn't the only place where idling is prohibited - it's catching on all over the country. Without an APU, it gets awfully uncomfortable, sitting somewhere like Laredo in the summer, or Chicago in the winter, and the fine for a violation isn't exactly pocket change, from what I've heard.

dare2dream1

Seasoned Expediter
Cheri1122,
You sound like you have been out on the road for awhile so maybe you can help me, I am looking for a female co driver either in a straight truck or in a tractor, I am 46 yrs old, married with 2 grown girls in college and a girl and boy in high school, been married to a great wife for almost 19 yrs who is one of the few people I've known that dont have a problem with me teaming with a female. I want to team with a female because in most cases they are much cleaner than guys (admit it guys..I've seen you in truckstops..) Cheri, If you know of any females that dont have any hang-ups about teaming with a guy could you please have them call me at 863-273-1928, thanks,john

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane and I have been WG drivers and owner-operators for five years and have driven trucks with and without generators (APU's). In today's market, we believe a generator is essential.

We believe that if we don't have a generator, we don't have a truck. If our generator failed, we would go out of service and deadhead as necessary to get it fixed (within reason of course). Idling is not an option, legally in many states, and economically everywhere.

If we were a team looking to get into a fleet owner's WG truck, we would not even consider a truck that did not have a generator. The same would apply if we were looking at non-WG work with any carrier or fleet owner. A generator is essential. Without one, we would not go out on the road.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
John: I am sorry to say that I don't know of any women who are looking to drive team - the solo women drivers that I know are all quite content to remain solo, oddly enough. :p
I'd suggest you check the EO Classified ads for a codriver - last time I looked, there were plenty.
PS: if you encounter any scepticism on the feasibility of keeping it businesslike while driving team, just refer them to me, & I'll set them straight on the fact that it can be done, because I've done it myself. As ATeam says: it's all about the attitude. Best of luck!:)

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
there are 19 states that have anti idiling laws
in va it could cost you up to 25,000 for more than 10 mins
in new york state up to 10,000
and others are not so high but one is to much
so apu would pay for it self in one time