April Showers , Locations & More

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Buc-ees, a TX chain, destroys the competition with their focus on bathrooms.
Puts all the big truck stops to SHAME! ... Pilot/FJ, TA, Loves ... all of 'em should be embarrassed of the faculties they provide. Penny pinching sob's ..
I only get some gas there if needed.
Their in store prices are so high it's like shopping at a Macy's department store . This Poor Expediter can't afford to eat there...

" LOAD 1 "

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Normally I'm a trump fan, but not sure what he did, or what people did on their own to cross border commerce. In almost every case, I had to cancel a US buy due to outrageous shipping costs.

Latest buy - injector hold down bolts and copper seals, $13. With shipping: $47.20

No there was no mechanism to change the shipping. Bought from European Union (Latvia?) For just over $15 shipping included

"NOT GOOD" lol I hear that in your presidents voice

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Normally I'm a trump fan, but not sure what he did, or what people did on their own to cross border commerce. In almost every case, I had to cancel a US buy due to outrageous shipping costs.

Latest buy - injector hold down bolts and copper seals, $13. With shipping: $47.20

No there was no mechanism to change the shipping. Bought from European Union (Latvia?) For just over $15 shipping included

"NOT GOOD" lol I hear that in your presidents voice

Ya can't make this stuff up ...
A guy that supposedly makes a living in shipping is complaining that companies are actually charging for shipping. No more of this "Free Shipping" crap.
Unbelievable ... :pokepoke:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dude. Heard of mail? If I can get a package from Latvia for $5, what's the $30 for?

Seems like somebody thinks they send a different truck for each package

USA doesn't want my money, that's ok. Rest of the world does

Edit: tariffs. Good for countries to build their own local business I suppose. Nothing to do with shipping costs, really

Last edited:
Reactions: ntimevan

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dude. Heard of mail? If I can get a package from Latvia for $5, what's the $30 for?

Seems like somebody thinks they send a truck for each package

USA doesn't want my money, that's ok. Rest of the world does

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Interesting, but highlights the lack of a decent agreement between the two countries. I've been ordering from USA when necessary all my life, and until just this year, it's always been reasonable.

Both shipments allowed until May 30 for delivery. USA over $30, Latvia $5.

Of course if it went by me, I'd want $800

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ebay is pain, but here's a couple tips:

discount for googling the language of seller: I got $106 instead of the english ad from same place for $122 for ordering in German

Paypal is expensive for foreign conversions. My prepaid visa gave a final price of $102 instead of $106 by allowing my card to be charged in Euros. Didn't know it was a thing, I selected "other currency options" at checkout

And last but not least, free shipping from Germany :tongueclosed:

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, I've heard of mail. Just because that's a government run service, is that .. like free? Are there no costs to the post office for shipping your packages? Their vehicles must run on air ..
Why is the assumption that the US is to blame? Perhaps Canada has some crackhead deal with Baltic countries to rape their companies & citizens of earning a decent living..? Maybe the question should be, why is it so damn cheap to ship something from 6,400 km away?
Free shipping from Germany ... enjoy ... krauts!
:american-flag:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tariffs. As the place of manufacture, I think they build the price of shipping worldwide into the cost.

It really isn't free shipping.

But when the USA is just reselling what they bought from the same place, then adding tariffs, it's free shipping to me

Edit: the usa isn't to blame (just saw that) I'm lamenting the fact that we share a border and it's cheaper for me to order stuff from Europe. And, for that matter, cheaper than Canada

Last edited:
Reactions: Grizzly

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Tariffs. As the place of manufacture, I think they build the price of shipping worldwide into the cost.

It really isn't free shipping.

But when the USA is just reselling what they bought from the same place, then adding tariffs, it's free shipping to me

Edit: the usa isn't to blame (just saw that) I'm lamenting the fact that we share a border and it's cheaper for me to order stuff from Europe. And, for that matter, cheaper than Canada
Welcome to Trumpenomics.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey eventually, manufacturing will HAVE to come back with trumpenomics (hopefully before everybody goes broke)...but it won't be for 2005 Dodge (mercedes) parts

Reactions: ntimevan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I realize this post belongs in the Panther Premium Logistics forum but nobody reads that forum so I posted this here. I feel the need to share what it is like to be me. Selfish yes, but please indulge me. I just spent a half hour replying to Panther's annual survey courtesy of staymetrics.. Notice the word annual is underlined. As for the survey, most questions applied more toward the truckload side of the transportation industry. Less dealt with expedite. Very few were directed toward the van segment of expedite. After completing the survey I received the following message. Pay particular attention to the underlined words. For years I have embraced the stupidity being leased to Panther. Now I must embrace the stupidity of staymetrics. Am I being to annual about an anal survey every 6 months? Maybe I don't know the difference from anal, annual and biannual.

Thank you for taking the time to complete the Annual Survey.
Your feedback and comments are important to us and we will use them to improve the experience here for all drivers. Your responses have been recorded and you don’t need to complete this survey again for 6 months.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have read some “experts” are predicting those rates by 2030 or 2040. Take McDonald’s for instance. That have some automated stores now. I don’t doubt that corporate is working toward all automated stores by then. I wonder how many tens of thousands of jobs right there. If it works there, I bet all the others will follow suit. Add that many fewer jobs. Add the auto industry closing plants and going to more robots in the ones that stay open not to mention the jobs going out of the country.
Robots are being perfected to replace surgeons, chefs, bar tenders, cleaning people. This is all going to hit the fan probably in that time frame and will happen quickly.
Add the numbers.
Don’t forget self-driving trucks and vans. Do I have to say more?

" Do I have to say more?" Certainly not. Your experts have rendered me fingerless. Back in the day I read science fiction, Future Schlock, Micro Millennium etc. While their broad cast net captured the essence of their predictions, rarely did they hit the mark, especially with timing.

dalscott

Expert Expediter
" Do I have to say more?" Certainly not. Your experts have rendered me fingerless. Back in the day I read science fiction, Future Schlock, Micro Millennium etc. While their broad cast net captured the essence of their predictions, rarely did they hit the mark, especially with timing.

And there are those who insisted that the world was flat.
Just look around and see what going on and remember that it’s slowly speeding up and will speed up faster as robotics and artificial intelligence progresses.
Sure they say that more jobs will be created but remember that it takes far fewer people to run that stuff than the number of jobs they take away. Another thing is that most of those jobs are high-tech jobs that a lot of people aren’t cut out for.
I certainly hope you’re right but seeing what’s happening now, I don’t think so.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is that why I had 4 deliveries in April? Robots?
Yes , Robot Delivery in Canada is a growing need .
They don't have to be Sobered up at Noon when they Finally show up for work .
Also Robots work even if there is a Hockey game going on .
Also there is no worrying about Distracted driver attempting to scarf down his Canadian Bacon Samwich ...

" LOAD 1 "