April location's and other gossip

cherokee727

Expert Expediter
Morning everyone! Well the truck is at freightliner awaiting an estimate... Ugh I hope its not a big issue we got to get back to work. Don't even think we can afford it... The problem there is Yes were getting a pay Friday BUT due to a bunch of things a month ago (long story) That pay is 100% gone... i hate being behind with stuff i want to get caught up and start on a savings so we hopefully DON'T have this problem again... Sorry gang just been a ruff couple years for us things were starting to look real good then a stupid drain plug causes all this hassle caused a load recovery, tow and bigger repair...i am just so upset with everything right now... Hope you all are having a better day... I keep trying to look at the bright side only one we got at the moment is were alive and safe lol I guess worst case were not paying bills Friday just hope we don't have to sit that long that would be a full week lost and a week here in this pos hotel. Later everyone i need something to eat and maybe a drink tonight :)

Last edited:

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
let us know what they say before they start ordering parts. we might be able to save you some money depending on whats wrong.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
From a feminine point of view...having spent many a year carousing truck stops with the hubby while waiting for loads.....

All it takes to get someone to talk to...open the hood and every mechanically minded monkey in the parking lot has their face buried under your hood...*LOL*

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Right now low end its a new drain plug, coolant and 3 u joints. High end new radiator, coolant and 3 u joints.

if it ends up being a radiator, get a price and make sure it includes the pins and the mount. a factory frtlnr. rad. is going to have plastic top and bottom caps just like the one you have now. i did one a year ago and the price didnt include the parts i mentioned. i have a place you can get an all steel rad. all parts included for around 1100 or 1200. yours might be cheaper depending in motor size.the complete kit i got was cheaper than frtlnr. also hate to say it but if its a rad. and while its apart you should do hoses and thermostats. let us know whats up, ill be watching for a post from you. glad to help if we can.

cherokee727

Expert Expediter
if it ends up being a radiator, get a price and make sure it includes the pins and the mount. a factory frtlnr. rad. is going to have plastic top and bottom caps just like the one you have now. i did one a year ago and the price didnt include the parts i mentioned. i have a place you can get an all steel rad. all parts included for around 1100 or 1200. yours might be cheaper depending in motor size.the complete kit i got was cheaper than frtlnr. also hate to say it but if its a rad. and while its apart you should do hoses and thermostats. let us know whats up, ill be watching for a post from you. glad to help if we can.

Awesome Thanks! i will let you know!

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since I've been driving most of the day, creating a larger carbon footprint, I forgot to wish everyone a very Happy Earth Day.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Must be something in the air...I'm down about $700 so far this week..still OOS...had a tensioner go bad, then after he got that altogether, started van up this morn to a horrible squeal and nice crunching. Apprently when th tensioner broke, the extra pressure took out the bearings in the alternator.

Erg..New one ordred

Me.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Must be something in the air...I'm down about $700 so far this week..still OOS...had a tensioner go bad, then after he got that altogether, started van up this morn to a horrible squeal and nice crunching. Apprently when th tensioner broke, the extra pressure took out the bearings in the alternator.

Erg..New one ordred

Me.
I've gotten into a habit of replacing the belt, pulleys, and tensioner as a set. If one goes, I replace all of them.

eb

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I've gotten into a habit of replacing the belt, pulleys, and tensioner as a set. If one goes, I replace all of them.

eb

That's what Ken told me, I think he said Europarts has a good deal on a complete set with belt for like $150. Might just do that as preventive maintenance down the road.

Dale

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im going to have to replace my belt and add a tensioner pully if i keep gaining weight.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I've not seen any comments about the qc msg sent out to the fleet concerning the new customers that our new sales team is pursuing, so I've got a few comments of my own :)

First off, I have a lot of faith in this approach. I see a lot of positives in John's decision to pursue direct customers rather than to just start dropping our rates to compete with the hoards of low ball bidders in the spot market, load board arena. Load One's ability to get it's contractor's good rates depends not so much on the shipper paying higher rates. The trick is to get the freight directly from the shipper before the rate gets cut by somebody else. As in any business, the fewer middle men that are involved, the better the rewards.

The customers mentioned in that qc msg are not small customers by any stretch of the imagination. From the little I know about marketing, salesmen are a dime a dozen. Good, solid, industry specific professionals with the contacts and reputations required to even get a meeting with shippers of the caliber mentioned in that qc msg....well, those guys are far from a dime a dozen.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that John has made some serious investments to bring these people onto the Load One team. This is not a small endeavor. I'm guessing that if we knew the real numbers, they would be staggering to most of us. We need to support these efforts as much as possible. We, as contractors, need to be even more conscious of the appearance we present to these new customers by keeping our equipment looking good, clean and in good repair. Please don't think this is pointed at anyone in particular, I'm far from perfect myself. I just wanted to say this as a reminder to all of us.

I have one last comment in this novel...lol. As we see new customers come online through the efforts of the sales team, I personally think it is a very bad idea to disclose publicly any information that might help a competitor know who we are doing business with. In the past, even before I moved to L1, I've seen some fairly specific information given out on the forums. I've seen enough information given out that if I were a sales agent at a competing carrier it would have been a matter of a very few days before that customer would have an additional option for their expedited freight needs. If I were a member of this new sales team, I would be pretty disappointed if I worked my butt off to acquire a new account for L1 only to see the name and/or location plastered on an internet msg board...or facebook...or anywhere. I'm told that it's not as much of an issue as I see it being, but you'll have a tough time convincing me that telling your competition where your business is coming from is ever a good thing.

John has made his commitment, I believe the sales team is going to bring us new customers...and I believe, as contractors, we need to be prepared to step up to the plate and be prepared to do our part to make these efforts pay off for all concerned.

That's all folks :) I was going to make a longer post...I just ran out of words :D

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think the hazmat message needs to be more specific. Like many fleet messages we get. The question i hear is, was that meant for truck load, straight, vans or all.

As far as load boards and customers that was beat to death. Ill keep my comments to myself on it.

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had the pleasure of meeting miss congeniality at one of our shippers in Alabama last night. Some people just do their best to make things difficult.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
"Guido" got that load a week or so ago...didn't have to deal with miss congeniality....was loaded and gone within an hour. I think he owes all the rest of us an Isis meal...or something.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'll just add our "appearance" goes beyond a clean truck, and carries over to our actions on here. I'd also say more, but my toast just popped.

guido4475

Not a Member
"Guido" got that load a week or so ago...didn't have to deal with miss congeniality....was loaded and gone within an hour. I think he owes all the rest of us an Isis meal...or something.

And you know full well I was prepared to kill her with kindness, not matter what she threw at me..lol...I was ready.....but, it din't happen, and I know I could hear the dissapointment in you're voice!...lol...