Generators Anyone using a portable power unit?

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
Hi All: I just bought a Sears Die Hard Portable Power Unit 1150 but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. It seems to be the Cat's Whiskers...(2) 12 volt outlets...(2) 110 outlets... a compressor, a light, 1150 cranking amps to jump a dead battery...a USB port to charge a cell phone. I just wondered if any has one or has any knowledge of it. I guess I should'a ask this before I bought it, Eh?
I hope to use it to power a small electric heater.
Thanks....
Jumbuck:)

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
That is something I need to have in the van with me. But, to run an electric heater? I think you'll be very very dissappointed. I have a 2800 watt generator and my 1500 watt portable heater pulls it pretty hard.

Turtle can give you some facts on it, but it is rated at 22AH. My guess, depending on the size of heater you use, would be 1 hour....if your lucky.

Use it for what is designed for (jump start, charging of small devices like cell phones, emergency tire inflation, etc) it's probably a neat item to have.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can the internal battery in these units be recharged while running down the road, or would it require a separate inverter to run the 110 volt internal charger?

Personally I prefer a set of auxiliary batteries and a battery isolator. But if you didn't own the vehicle, this would be a decent option for an extra power source but it sure wouldn't run an electric heater for very long.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
22 AH capacity, pulling enough amps for a 1500 Watt heater (125 amps), considering the Peukert Effect, it'll last roughly .07 hours (4 minutes 12 seconds) before it's deader'n a doornail. If it's only a 1200 Watt heater (100 amps), then it'll last .09 hours (5 minutes, 24 seconds).

To run a 1500 Watt heater at 50% duty cycle for 8 hours will require a battery bank of approximately 2000 AH capacity, which is about 20 high end 400 AH 6-volt deep cycle L-16 batteries at about $6000. It's also about 2500 pounds of batteries, not including cables, lugs and heavy duty fuse blocks and fuses.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just looked up the critter online. My thoughts: it'll jump start your car/light truck if you've left the lights on and need a quick boost. The one I saw has an air pump so it's good for pumping up the tires. At only 400 watts AC output, it's only good for small appliances so forget about the heater, most heaters that are any good want at least 1100 watts and 1500 watts at 110 volts AC seems about standard. Like others here say, it'll charge your cell phone or power your laptop for at least a little while.

You see these things at the auto parts stores, the whole purpose seems to be that they provide an emergency start if your car's battery turns up weak. Most of them have an air pump, that seems to be standard. I'm guessing there's a lithium-ion battery or something similar that allows a very high current for a short time in a small package, but it doesn't have long legs so a marathon (like, supplying your heater with power overnight) is out of the question.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
22 AH capacity, pulling enough amps for a 1500 Watt heater (125 amps), considering the Peukert Effect, it'll last roughly .07 hours (4 minutes 12 seconds) before it's deader'n a doornail. If it's only a 1200 Watt heater (100 amps), then it'll last .09 hours (5 minutes, 24 seconds).

To run a 1500 Watt heater at 50% duty cycle for 8 hours will require a battery bank of approximately 2000 AH capacity, which is about 20 high end 400 AH 6-volt deep cycle L-16 batteries at about $6000. It's also about 2500 pounds of batteries, not including cables, lugs and heavy duty fuse blocks and fuses.
I thought my hour sounded generous....thinkin I was supposed to multiply or divide somethin or other by 10? :)

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It sounds like running that heater really needs a decent generator. Now for the next problem, since you'll have to deal with it anyway: In really cold weather, other drivers here (OVM comes to mind) report that the 1,500 watt heater will only be marginal at best in the vans, whether we're talking standard CVs or the big Sprinters. It might do OK in sleeper berths on the tractors, but even here I suspect a 1,500 heater will be working itself to death when it gets to 10F or lower. It's OK to use it to help something else, but using it as primary heat---- I think someone is gonna be disappointed--- and really, really cold.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now, an electric blanket along with a good sleeping bag....this small generator MIGHT get a passing grade....

guido4475

Not a Member
For cying out load, if you can afford it, just get an Espar and be done with it-No propane bottles to fill, no worries about the oxygen getting sucked out of the air-An Espar may be expensive at first, but you'll be glad you got one. If you get one, get he bigger Espar, you'll be glad you did when it is real cold.In my personal opinion, so many try to get by with the smallest of everything, and wonder why the small product they have doesn't last that long, or their results are less than expected.We sacrafice way too much to out here to be uncomfortable, and cold.Besides, it can be a write-off.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For cying out load, if you can afford it, just get an Espar and be done with it...
I believe Jumbuck is driving a fleet owner's van where it isn't practical to buy and install extra batteries and an Espar. If that portable power unit can be easily recharged while running down the road and couple it with a Buddy heater, this should be a practical and inexpensive solution to his power and heat needs.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Wouldn't it be easier if all you vanners stayed home about four months in the winter ?
Nice and toasty in your own beds.

guido4475

Not a Member
I believe Jumbuck is driving a fleet owner's van where it isn't practical to buy and install extra batteries and an Espar. If that portable power unit can be easily recharged while running down the road and couple it with a Buddy heater, this should be a practical and inexpensive solution to his power and heat needs.

I didn't realize that. My mistake.So, it would be a win-win situation for the van owner to invest in one.A warm and cozy driver is a happy driver! And driver retention would make a happy and profitable fleet owner!

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot has a point. The portable power unit isn't a big player, but it would keep your laptop going for a few hours before needing to be re-charged. The Big Buddy heater can be kept happy with a rechargeable tank for upwards of a couple of days at the low setting and certainly at least a day at full blast, probably a bit longer. Of course if you can talk the van owner into springing for an Espar and maybe a proper generator that would be the way to go but don't hold your breath. Sometimes you just have to make do with what you have to work with.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
They can't be recharged while running down the road, at least not so as you can use the unit on a regular basis. They generally take about 24 hours to recharge when plugged into shore power. And that's after using to to jump the car. These portable power units are designed for short-term emergency power, like lighting a lamp for a few hours, charging you cell phone, jumping the vehicle. They are not designed for regular daily use.

A standard Group 31 truck battery has about 100 AH. This portable unit has 24 AH. Go below 50% DoD on either one and the life is dramatically shortened, so with the truck battery you have essentially 50 AH of reliable power, and the portable unit you have about 12 AH of usable power. You can run an Espar heater off a truck battery for 3-4 days before running it down to 50%.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just wondering how well this Portable Power Unit has been working for you? Do you think it could power a 19" LCD TV for long enough time to watch a complete DVD? Overall, are you happy with the unit? Their on sale at Sears now for $109 and it seems like a good value if it has enough life. It does state on the box that it a glass mat, replacable battery inside the unit. It is a neat looking unit but I would like to hear first hand if it's been any good. Thanks, Bill