Anyone Know?

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone know the speed limit in California for a two axle straight truck? Some signs say "trucks" 55, some signs say "trucks 3 axles or more" and some just say "any vehicles towing." Has anyone ever asked before? I'm too afraid to just go 65 without knowing for sure, so I wondered if anyone else knows.

I wasn't sure if the three axles had anything to do with weights, and if so, why wouldn't they list them besides that it's California...lol

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
I had a "California black & white" tell me on the radio one time that truck speed limit was 55........he also warned that didn't mean 56!!!
Do like I do and not worry about it though, NO California for me!!!!!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I've never asked, because the answer wouldn't matter, if another LEO said it was the opposite, another time. I think the ambiguity is deliberate - "truck" being whatever the LEO on scene says it is, ya know? It's aggravating, but 'better safe than sorry', or risk a speeding ticket, seem to be the choices for a 2 axle truck in California.

OddCouple

Seasoned Expediter
We were told by a DOT Inspector that you can go the posted speed limit in a single axle truck. Another truck we know was pulled over, the officer didn't give them a ticket when he noticed the tag axle was up but did advise them to be careful. We normally go between 60 and 65 mph when in Cali and don't have any problem. When the wieght requires we use the tag axle we have to go the 55 mph truck speed. I do believe that there is something on the CALTRANS/California DOT website explaining this, or call California DOT for the correct information. We got our info a few years ago and we maybe in the wrong.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Trucks in the golden state are anything with three or more axles. So something with two axles gets to go with the flow of traffic, except in the LA area where the fastest anyone can go is like 5 mph.

When I was there, I flew up and down the coast at 62 mph because that is the trucks sweet spot....... Ooooooooooo....:D

are12

Expert Expediter
We spoke with DOT and were told that a single axle straight truck can do the same speed as cars. However, we do knock it down a few notches when going down some of those big hills.:eek::eek:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We are always thrilled when we go to California as we are running the speed limit! Our trucks sweet spot is 57 mph and so that is where we drive. We even feel a little daring when in California and Ohio to be going a little over the posted speed limit instead of being called a rolling hazard to the traffic flow.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I run about 61 wherever I am regardless of the posted limit (freeways of course not in town). Both the truck and I are calmest and most comfortable at that speed. I only push up to 65 or 70 if it's either that or have to swap the load.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
TeamCaffee, you mention Ohio? Do they have a similar law about two axle trucks? I'm glad to hear other people go faster in California...I just want to be able to do about 63 or so without worrying so much. I always follow the speed limits, so I just wanted to feel more sure about it. Signs were just a little unclear about it.

are12

Expert Expediter
Ohio is 55 for all trucks unless on the OH Pike.

I will usually set my cruise on 61 going through OH and they don't even give you a second look.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
How about Illinois?

The sign says anything over X tons, trucks and all that do 55 but am I the only one who got pulled over for doing 62?

No ticket but an explanation that trucks don't go over 55.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
TeamCaffee, you answered the question I've been holding for a while. I was wondering what you did when the speed was posted 55.

eb

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
ebsprintin We live on the edge in the 55 mph states. You know Bob and I have talked more then once that if we get a speeding ticket we would never hear the end of it!