anyone ever maxed out?

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
just wondering if a load has ever cubed or weighed you out of a run. maybe this is more for vans than c and d trucks.

Jack Berry

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
This happens more often than it should. More often that not, I think it is a result poor communications between the carrier and the shipper, or their agents.

We've been dispatched on a B load that weighed 4200 pounds and many that have exceeded the agreed upon weights for a van. We've arrived at the shipper and been met with as many as six skids, quite often three skids or equivalent. Sadly, our usual consolation by the carrier's agent is a curt "This is a dry run; your pay is $51.04"

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I cubed out my van once. I filled it with wall mount tables and pedestals for a Perkins restaurant. I had to load and unload the van several times to get it all to fit. Finally got it all pieced in and away I went.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
I have had all 24 feet full right to the door on this truck. To the point where the extra straps and stuff rode in the sleeper. I've also had maz weight on board hauling fertilizer bags. I was loaded on a scale until i was maxed, and then they shrink wrapped the last skid once the scale read 33000 lbs. I've had some weird days.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
I have had my 26' box packed so tightly that I had to break away part of a pallet slat to allow me to get my door closed. That was 8 hard top kits for Jeep Wranglers...load weight: 3048lbs.

I have also had 10 pallets of anti-freeze and a couple of other lighter items that had me less than 200lbs. from being at max GVWR (46000).

Usually I'm between the extremes.

Rex

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Took the product off the last two pallets and pushed the product into the truck as the pallet was sticking out. T-Shirts and they HAD TO GO championship shirts for the NBA. Funny thing was I took all the camera equipment to the finals Miami & Detroit. Basketball has been good to my bank account.

I have been called in while vans have pulled away due to it would not fit. This has happened to me twice, I only saw one Van Owner the other one had already left.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Overweight at the dock is usually because the dock people decided to throw a couple more skids on that were not included in the original order.

We have a "C" and usually take up to 1K over(our truck would still be legal)however we can`t get the "D" rate for it.We also have the option of taking a "Dry Run"

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It has happened to us twice in three years. Both times, the shipper had more weight to ship than our D-units could carry. The weight was known because it was listed on the freight itself. The solution was the same both times. On dispatch's instructions, we left some of the freight behind and completed the run with the rest.