Anyone Drive for T&K?

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
This is my first thread asking about companies I've never heard of before.

Who is T&K, and are they worth driving for? How many loads do they have going outside of what they list as their primary range, and more importantly, how many loads do the get ORIGINATING from outside their primary range?

Thanks!
Christopher

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I don't run for them, but I know a couple of guys that do run for them as well as a few other companies....they are one of the companies that will let people haul for them as well as other companies....the guys that I know that run with them, are running with 3-4 total companies..

T&K also has "company" trucks that are owned by T&K as well as O/O's.....none of the guys i know have a problem with them...but none of them run strictly for T&K.....

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I talked a while back with a guy in Laredo that drove strictly for T&K in a standard ford cv and he said they keep him busy and he had no complaints. I have not heard anything bad.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
He's a small company, I drove his company cargo van back in late 2005, early 2006. I think I would have been happier using my own cargo van with him rather than use his cargo van.

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
Interesting. Anyone know if he has a preference for local guys, or if he'll take from anywhere?

Thanks!
Christopher

jeffman164

Seasoned Expediter
Anywhere . Beware of the 7:00 A.M. wake up call every morning rain or shine . And yes , even when you just called them at 5:00 A.M. after your delivery . Woke me up more times than I could count = always tired .

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Anywhere . Beware of the 7:00 A.M. wake up call every morning rain or shine . And yes , even when you just called them at 5:00 A.M. after your delivery . Woke me up more times than I could count = always tired .

OMG Landshark did the stupid wake up calls also and even on my days off called me up to see where I was. That is so annoying.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello everyone. 5 year reader first time poster. I am a driver for t&k part time. Nothing but good things to say about the owner. Pm me if you like

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
7am wake up calls daily? Dude, that would end my tenure in a hurry. If you don't respect a driver's need for sleep, you don't deserve to have drivers. You can wake me for a load (most times), but never just as company policy. That just sucks.

Thanks for the offer Jayson. Feel free to PM me all the info you care to share. Including whether or not the wake up calls still happen. What makes them good to drive for?

Thanks!
Christopher

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
A year ago this carrier paid $1.25 with no FSC to straights. They also required O/O to have primary insurance. And, they put your pay on a Comdata card. It took them 2 or 3 weeks to do it and they charged a service fee for this. I believe there are better deals out there.

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
:eek: Ungood.

Thanks!
Christopher

A year ago this carrier paid $1.25 with no FSC to straights. They also required O/O to have primary insurance. And, they put your pay on a Comdata card. It took them 2 or 3 weeks to do it and they charged a service fee for this. I believe there are better deals out there.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

OUCH!:cool:

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Not a bad company .Their rates are very low for vans. 85 cents per mile including fuel. And you have to have your own cargo and liability insurance.But you do not have a QC so you save some $ on that side.Also they not need worker comp .

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
How much is the cargo and liability insurance? And is the savings on QC enough to cover it?

Thanks!
Christopher

duramaxvan

Seasoned Expediter
I drove for them early last year, very slow. My last load for me took me to Chicago what hey called their back yard. After sitting for 4 days, I called them to let them know that I was quitting, 3 weeks later, they called to see if I was still in R.I. A place that they had never sent me. The wake up calls are 365 days a year.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
They are very small operation trying to play like the big boys. Have no sales force out trying to get corporate accounts, gets all their business off load boards which they belong to! Perhaps now since their early days when I worked for them they've improved, but I doubt it. Sounds like they keep bigger trucks busier than small ones. I've seen a ford cube truck leased on with them around the midwest area a few times, other than that have never seen any of their trucks ever! Chicago is their "back yard" as they're based out of a suburb of Chicago...New Lenox, IL. Their office is in a small warehouse park, on southside of town, they rent like 4 office suites, very little parking at the place.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
He used to have a real good run from Rock Falls, IL/Sterling, IL area to Bowling Green, KY. always picked up around 5pm and delivered straight through. First time I ran it, he had me run home by way of Indy, and had me calling to see if he had any back haul for me along the way. Finally after my stop in Indy and just west of town on I-74, he calls me and tells me to hurry back up to Rock Falls to pick up and run back down to Bowling Green and do it by 5pm when shipping closes. Uhh not too sharp on distance when its 3pm eastern time and your in Indy and probably about 200+ miles from Rock Falls and never gonna make it in time! he had to send another guy he had who lived in cental part of Illinois to take load. Sounds like on a part-time basis if you drive for him you're ok but fulltime!!!!!!!!!!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If a carrier regardless of size can't find a expedite load out of Chicago, they aren't looking.