Any words of advice for new husband wife team?

bimbim29

Active Expediter
I might be opening a can of worms but...anyone out there have any advice for a husband and wife team looking to buy a sprinter and start expediting? My husband has been OTR for about 2 years now and we've decided to go out together. I would like to hear from anyone else out there who has been expediting for awhile and knows which companies to try hiring on with and any other sage words of advice to give us.
Thanks for your help.:eek:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Welcome!
All you need to do is start reading, because a lot of those folks have posted a LOT of info on all those subjects, so you just need to get your eyes ready for a marathon through the stuff.
General questions are hard to answer, but any particular questions can be posted for input, or you can send a Private Message to one or more members, if you think they might have knowledge on a particular carrier, vehicle, or whatever.
Enjoy, lol. :)

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
You might scroll down to Carrier Forums. English Lady at Load 1 and her husband run a Sprinter.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I might be opening a can of worms but...anyone out there have any advice for a husband and wife team looking to buy a sprinter and start expediting? My husband has been OTR for about 2 years now and we've decided to go out together. I would like to hear from anyone else out there who has been expediting for awhile and knows which companies to try hiring on with and any other sage words of advice to give us.
Thanks for your help.:eek:

My wife and I teamed 4 years in a CV and 2 in a sprinter...

1st rule...No guns!
2nd rule..no sharp objects in the front area...
3rd rule...no hard maps....my arms were black and blue...

Get a porty potty....saves parking close to a door in the middle of the night.

Alway park so your head is upward....don't want the blood rushing to your head...

Other then that we had a great time.....*L*

I guarantee you'll find out just how compatible ya are...

Good Luck

bimbim29

Active Expediter
Thanks for all the great in-put. We are looking at Bolt and Landstar as far as companies. Does anyone out there have a Sprinter with a sleeper? Can you fit 3 pallets in if you have a sleeper. We are buying a 170" Ext.. The porta potty is a given must have!! I will drive my husband nuts otherwise. His nick name for me is TB (tiny bladder!)

bimbim29

Active Expediter
It has got to be trying on a couple! Couped up together 24/7! But, we have been together 25 years and run 2 businesses together. If we haven't killed each other yet it probably won't happen.
I got that feeling about Landstar when we talked to them. It sounds like we should try to get on at Bolt for a while and then maybe switch to Landstar.
Does anyone know what the average weekly per mile is? Also if gas surcharges are usually paid at 100 percent? How many average miles can we gage ourselves on? I am being told about 1200 to 1500. Does that sound right?
So many questions!!!!
I actually am very excited about doing this. We are pretty much packing or selling everything we own We are renting out the 3000 foot house in the burbs, putting a little in storage and running away from home!!

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
my wife and i have been teaming in a strait trk for going on 11yrs. take a cooler full of food the microwave and a tv to the bathroom and lock the door for 48 hrs. if you both come out alive, you will be ok. as far as the sleeper in a sprinter, i dont think you can have any kind of size and still get three skids flat on the floor. someone else would better answer for sure, but we have been looking also and that is the issue we see. good luck and any reason to not look at a strait trk.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I actually am very excited about doing this. We are pretty much packing or selling everything we own We are renting out the 3000 foot house in the burbs, putting a little in storage and running away from home!!

What place will you call home after this is done?

If you do not yet know about the financially significant per diem tax deduction, you need to learn about it before running away from home.

You must maintain a residence of some sort (not a P.O. box) to qualify for the deduction. You do not want to forfeit this deduction without knowing exactly how much doing so will cost you.

The trade-off may be worth it to you but please make sure you know what you are doing and why regarding the per diem deduction.

bimbim29

Active Expediter
Thanks for the input. I had read something about that on this site earlier. We are going to show residence as at one of my sons houses. We will pay him a "rent" of sorts and store some things there. We will also recieve our mail there. I think that will work as far as a residence. Another way to go would be to buy a retirement vacation home and stay there 3 weeks a year or so, renting it out and letting someone else pay the mortgage part of the time! The prices are so low right now and the rates still good. The return would be higher than the interest rates in a bank I would think.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I have a friend that has a 1 bedroom condo in Cocoa Beach, FL. He has a property management company that rents it out Feb-Nov and lives in it Dec and Jan to get his homestead exemption. He doesn't make any money but doesn't cost him anything either.