Any Suggestions

nwaggs

Active Expediter
Just starting to work in the trucking industry again and haven't driven a truck in four years. What companies do you suggest I apply to recieve maximum amout of income and benefits/perks for some with little to no experience?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If there's a carrier that rewards inexperience with maximum income and 'perks', I've never heard of them. Most consider experience to be worth more, and most drivers & O/O understand that, and expect to work towards maximum income and benefits/perks, not be handed them from the get -go.
With most reputable carriers requiring anywhere from 1-2 yrs recent experience, you may be lucky to find even a minimum income no perks/benefits spot to start with.
And most of us have been there, too.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
What class license do you have? Is your license clean? Would you pass a background check and drug screen? Broken employment? Carriers can dig deep.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Welcome to the Debbie Dootson school of trucking! lol. I have had a CDL since 2001 and that don't mean squat now that I've been out of the big truck since 2003. Sure I can legally drive a tractor trailer, but any self-respecting trucking company would probably send me right back through training again. Then it would be a cool 8 weeks or so with a trainer and a nice 28-32 cents per loaded mile to start out. Trucking is a rough gig for those who have little to no experience. Plus with the new FMCSA guidelines it is going to become ever harder to get into trucking. I would just take whatever you can get and work your way up from there. Good luck.

guido4475

Not a Member
Welcome to the Debbie Dootson school of trucking! lol. I have had a CDL since 2001 and that don't mean squat now that I've been out of the big truck since 2003. Sure I can legally drive a tractor trailer, but any self-respecting trucking company would probably send me right back through training again. Then it would be a cool 8 weeks or so with a trainer and a nice 28-32 cents per loaded mile to start out. Trucking is a rough gig for those who have little to no experience. Plus with the new FMCSA guidelines it is going to become ever harder to get into trucking. I would just take whatever you can get and work your way up from there. Good luck.

.28-.32 cpm is nice??? $320.00 per every thousand miles, not including on the road expenses..

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well, Guido. I used to live in the truck 24/7. I only went home for about a week every 4 months. I saved on rent. I was pulling in 45k a year and keeping most of it. I did not have a family and I got to idle the truck for heat and aircon. I didn't have to worry about maintenance, breakdowns, or getting paid on time. Those were some pretty easy living days.

It's a perfect job for a loner, drifter, or anyone who is single and does not have a family to support. But considering the fact that once you gain at least 1 year or verifiable over the roat experience you can pull down over 50k a year running local even though you didn't graduate high school - that is where the money is. You gotta bite the bullet and do your time on the big road and then you can move into a more suitable situation.

Like I said in another post I am not going to be an O/O ever again. If I ever have to go back to driving I am going to drive someone elses truck and not worry about anything other than delivering on time and being safe on the road. So much money goes into the truck and then when a deer hits it you can lose the whole thing.