Any suggestions on lift for pulling a motor

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
With my C9 on the down side of 700k mi.s, it's time to think about being proactive on replacement with the least amount of downtime. I'm hoping to get 1,000,000 out of it, but I realize I may be dreaming. Despite what others may think about this motor, I've been very pleased, runs smooth, pulls hard, decent mileage, doesn't leak a drop and I have learned to do most repairs and maintenance myself over the years including the overhead, water pump, and injectors (except setting the trim on the inj which I have a local Cat man do, no wait, that's a Bob Seger tune isn't it?)

With all the nightmare stories about shop incompetency, I am researching doing the switch myself. I think the Cat reman would be the way to go. Question is, will a 4,000 lb engine hoist like this one;

Beacon World Class Portable Jib Crane and Gantry Crane

be enough capacity, or does anyone have any other suggestions on a lift?? Unfortunately I don't have a large enough shade tree around the house, so that is out. Not a lot of info online to research this so I thought I'd throw it out there.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't trustthat, id want a minimum of a 6000 lb hoist and retractable legs that have at least 1.5 time the length of the extented hoist arm...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not sure what truck that is in, but unless there is block damage you should be able to resleeve that engine in-frame. If you can get the back piston out, shouldn't be too bad. Would also be considerably cheaper.
Also, if the rear seal is leaking because of age, much easier to drop the tranny and repair that way.

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Question is, will a 4,000 lb engine hoist like this one;

Beacon World Class Portable Jib Crane and Gantry Crane

be enough capacity, or does anyone have any other suggestions on a lift?
I'd look at this one - more capacity and height:
Beacon World Class Engine Hoist and Portable Jib Crane

Or check with your local Sunbelt rentals:

ENGINE HOISTS & ENGINE STANDS Equipment Rental, Rent ENGINE HOISTS & ENGINE STANDS | Sunbelt Rentals

Whatever you use, it may require a load-leveling balance bar/beam to lift it without tipping one way or another:

Amazon.com: OTC 4305 1500 lb. Engine Load Leveler: Home Improvement

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Thanks guys. Dave, it is a M2106. Resleeve isn't out of the question and I need to research pricing, I'm just trying to keep it out of the shop and DIY it. Resleeving would involve close tolerances on setting the sleeves height among so many other things where bearings/rings are concerned and DIYing that is out of the question for me. I'm thinking a short or long block with warranty would be a nice shoe in. Holt Cat in Dallas priced me a short block around $9,000. With some tool rental and purchase costs, I'm thinkin this might be my best bet. Any pricing and suggestions is appreciated as I said I am in research mode for now.

We are still happy with our truck and can foresee 4 or 5 more years in 'er before upgrading. Hey, maybe by then they will have the new cyberterrificsolarturbocleanburnnodpforegr emissions figured out. The best thing about this '06 C9 is no dpf and no egr. I haven't figured out the ACERT stuff yet but what I've read it recirculates gases somewhere, it's just not apparent where or how. For the most part, it's been an awesome motor tho.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Keep your eye on the CARB rules if you plan to run in California. They keep changing them so there is no telling what they will be four or five years from now. But a 2006 engine will be 13 years old five years from now and CARB is doing everything in its power to outlaw older engines, and if not outlaw them completely, require expensive upgrades.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
One route to go and Ive done it several times for R/R motors and transmisions is to hire your local tow truck for a hour or so. Make sure he has telescoping boom and its a fast job. Just have all your ducks in a row so all he does is back up and hook and lift..If the swap is there you can set in in at the same time.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You are correct in that doing a resleeve is not recommended for the do-it-yourselfer. Still another thought would be to have it pulled and taken to Cat to do the resleeve. They likely are going to send it out anyway. Have to weigh the costs verses a new one. Warranty will be the same.
Local tow service would be the best cost effective method if it is a one shot deal. If doing other rebuilds, maybe your own lift.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is a little heavier than a honda motor, and close tolerances make it more complex not a beginer project. 500k would usualy involve just an inframe 1 milion a complete so long as it hasent been cracked open for major work. watching techs r/r heads they usualy use a fork lift to safely do that. Keep in mind that motor is close to 4000 lbs if not heavier I would have a shop do it unless you have acess to a shop and equipment to handle it.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
One route to go and Ive done it several times for R/R motors and transmisions is to hire your local tow truck for a hour or so. Make sure he has telescoping boom and its a fast job. Just have all your ducks in a row so all he does is back up and hook and lift..If the swap is there you can set in in at the same time.

This would be my suggestion. Actually, I wouldn't even consider a DIY, but if I were going to, I would be prepared and call a tow truck.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is rite and even if the granny is pulled with it you wont be but about 3k. And the c9 you have is an emmision engine. Acert is cats form of egr, it is just put back in a different way than a traditional egr system does it.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
And the c9 you have is an emmision engine. Acert is cats form of egr, it is just put back in a different way than a traditional egr system does it.

Yeah, I knew the ACERT is supposed to have some exhaust recirc somewhere but knowbody can tell me where. The intake clear back to the air filter has no place that I can see where exhaust is plumbed back in. The head, although I've never had it off, seems clean enough. I suppose it's in the head somewhere. I should have phrased it, the '06 ACERT is the pre--'07 ACERT emission which the '07 has DPF.

Thank you for the Wt. info, I was thinking it was less then 4,000lbs. but more then a Honda LOL!

Sounds like the tow truck is the way to go. The Allison should be easy enough to unbolt before pulling the motor. We shall see.

Found a complete used C9 if anybody is interested. Looks pretty new but would be nice to look inside the ECM first. I'd look at pretty strong except I'm not ready yet. Not sure why it has a new oil pan tho; USED CAT ENGINES > Gallery