Any one missing a P2 truck?

leymas

Expert Expediter
Hi has any one from panther 2 heard of a str8 truck missing? It's been one setting at our local Flying J for about 3 weeks at least maybe longer.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Hard to tell why it is there. Best bet is to call Panther at 1-800-685-0657 or the local police. Just in case someone is in it. Never assume too much. Either do the above or post the location, description of truck, or truck number.
Thanks

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

BanditMan

Expert Expediter
Please follow Dave's advice...I have two personal experiences with driver's who died in their trucks...one was a fellow church member who choked to death while eating in his sleeper...the other was when my fire department was called (with our breathing apparatus) to remove a driver from the cab after his truck had set for six days in August in the Carolina heat.

Every driver should operate on the buddy system, just like people who go swimming...someone should always know your general whereabouts and know who to call in case you aren't where you are supposed to be when you are supposed to be there.

Hope this turns out to be a broken-down truck, a driver who walked off the job, or a truck that's out of service by the driver's choice.

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Banditman I agree 100 % with you we all need to check on each other,Great post and great Information THANKS.....

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
VERY-VERY good advice. Even if no one is in it, one time a local PA fleet owner I know had been looking for a missing truck of his for months abandoned by his drivers who disappeared off the face of the earth. Truck turned up last spring in the lot of a major MI seller of expedite trucks! (Now did't they wonder where that big Western Star came from :+ ) Denny

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
GREAT RESPONSE, thanks. As for eating in your truck. Ever noticed how much easier it is to choke on cold chicken than hot? Well I have because the meat is cold and harder its hard to tell when swolling, if its all meat or that little pointed bone in the legs.

Please be carefull inside of the cab eating by yourself. If you discover yourself in such a situation get out imm. Hold both hands to your neck and run to the closest help and honk your air horn prior to attract attention to yourself..

I hope this never happens to any of us.

BanditMan

Expert Expediter
Odd that you should mention the chicken...that's what got my friend.

I'm surprised the boxes and buckets aren't required to bear a government warning label stating "Danger - Contents may become cold, and if eaten alone, may result in choking or death."

I don't mean to make light of a serious and tragic situation, but it seems like everything else has a warning label now, spurred by the cup of hot coffee that McDonalds got sued over.

Now it has spread to the containers used for the deep-fried foods like potatoes, cheese sticks, and desert pies, which state Caution: Contents Hot! - what else would you expect from something that has just been taken from a vat of 350 degree oil and place in your hand in less than thirty seconds?

Add it to the many hazards of life on the road...be careful out there...even when you are eating!

younglobo

Expert Expediter
Banditman
sorry to hear about your church friend, least as a man or woman of God he or she is currently an O/O for the King of Kings LOL. "to live is good but to die in Christ is gain. My question is why didnt the dispatcher of these folks get concerned?? Guess i am different i call my drivers if i dont hear from them 1 a day besides pu and del. my co. motto you can replace trucks and find more frieght but you cant replace people,think some folks get so wrapped up they forget that.:+

ATeam

Retired Expediter
People are talking about this truck and the buddy system but no one seems to be getting involved. If action has not yet been taken, let's fix this now. If no one else is willing, I'll happily call Panther to track down the truck's owner and the local police and/or truck stop security to have an officer do a health and welfare check on the truck. Whoever has seen this truck, please act now, or send me by private e-mail the truck number and/or license number, and any other descriptive info. I also need to know which Flying J the truck is located at. I see in his profile that the original poster is from Des Moines, Iowa. Is this truck at the J at exit 125 on I-80?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hopefully this is not a tragic situation but I have to wonder ,Why hasn't the Flying J management called Panther on this. You would think truck stops would have some type of red flag go off when a truck hasn't moved in several days.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
You would think that this would be a major red flag. Especially with all these security concerns with terrorist wanting trucks to do bad things with. Hope all is well with the driver, or maybe the guy is seeing different panther trucks sitting in the same spot. Hopfuly he just cant find a load out of Iowa and isnt going to DH.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>Hi has any one from panther 2 heard of a str8 truck missing?
>It's been one setting at our local Flying J for about 3
>weeks at least maybe longer.

Dumb question, did you ask the manager of the J what is going on and bring it to his/her attention?

I find that some of these truck stop people are as useless as -fill in the blank - and need someone to say something to get them to think.

When I was in Tampa, I was in the same spot for three days (over the weekend). Even when I went sight seeing, I returned to that very spot. I had four people who seemed to go there to fuel up ask me if I was alright.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm with A-Team has anyone followed up on this Truck?? I lost a good Friend a few years Back after he had a Stroke drove off the Side of the Road and down into a Ravine.It took 4 days before somebody noticed the Load was never Delivered And it took a Hiker to find him after a week.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Last month, I noticed a Panther van had been sitting, with headlights on, for more than 24 hrs, so I knocked on the door. The driver was ok, watching tv in the back, and glad to know that someone cared about his welfare. I'm not sure what I'd have done if he hadn't answered, probably inquired at the fuel desk, but we need to do something, when things just don't look right - that's a basic human obligation, I think.
A related issue: everyone should put in their cell phone an entry for "ICE" (in case of emergency), with the name & number of who should be contacted in case it becomes necessary. This helpful idea is courtesy of a paramedic who found it very frustrating to be unable to notify someone of an emergency involving their loved one. I have put ICE numbers on my cell, and in my wallet, too - hoping they'll never be needed, but feeling better knowing they're there.

leymas

Expert Expediter
As of yesterday is was still in the same place. I'm unable to stop while working but notice it from the highway when I drive past. I have called P2 but didn't have the truck number. I'll do my best to get out thier tomorrow. 4/30. I don't understand why FJ would let it set for so long, with out doing something. I post tomorrow and let everyone know what I find out.

G

Can you tell us which Flying j? I called the one in Clive, Iowa and there checking to see if there is a P2 truck there in the lot.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts express O/O Since 3/1/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,

G

I found which one it's at and have the truck number and I'm calling P2 To let them know its been sitting there for 2 weeks now

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
C1847,C2045,D3397,

G

I Called Panther 2 and the agent named Tom Blew me off, and said that there Truck 5085 is not polling in that location. He got really crappy with me on the phone, So I told him that he just didn't give a s***. So I called the Flying J Back and they told me the same truck number and Gave me the plate number. So I called Panther back and once again I got Tom on the phone and ask to talk to his boss. He said she was busy and I could not talk to her. Then I called back again and Got a really nice young Lady on the Phone and she told me that the truck was no longer on with them and the the truck was based out of Iowa. So my guess it's just being parked there.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
C1847,C2045,D3397,

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>I Called Panther 2 and the agent named Tom Blew me off, and
>said that there Truck 5085 is not polling in that location.
>He got really crappy with me on the phone,....

Isn't that special! A Panther dispatcher, Tom, receives a call about a truck and a driver that could possibly be in distress and he's unwilling to go any further than a couple keystrokes to follow up on it. It's not my place to complain since I don't drive for Panther, but I can say if Tom had been a FedEx dispatcher (1) that kind of response would not likely have been received, and (2) if it had, I'd be on the phone to everyone I could think of at FedEx raising holy hell about it. Drivers need dispatchers backing them up who care about more than the data on their monitor.

Kudos to David Mayfield and leymas for taking action, and to the helpful lady at Panther. As for Tom,.... my comments would be deleted if I wrote them in this moderated forum. x(