Any Elite drivers getting passed by for lower pric

tom tinker

Expert Expediter
RE: Any Elite drivers getting passed by for lower

Hi E.O.'rs I had to got back to original post, to see if I was losing what little I have left up stairs, how did you get on flat bed loads from original post???????
Hurrier you go the be hinder you get! Tom Tinker:'(

greg334

Veteran Expediter

>how did you get on flat bed loads from original post???????

Ah, who knows but x06col does have a point, who wants to make money by using manual labor - stick the stuff on the truck and go!

x06col,
I will have a learning curve, I have to track trends, analyise the industry, create charts to figure out how to tarp a load - tough being a top expediter!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Charts and graphs, by all means. They will be invaluable to you during your transition. Don't forget the elbow grease and sweatband either. You could also research for some automatic or semi-automatic, air cooled (preferrably english speaking) chain carriers and throwers. They would be economical and really fun to work with, when you could find them. Don't forget the auto start APU, that would start when YOU get to a certain temperature, so you can duck in and outa the sun to your camper when needed.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

To answer Tom Tinker's question, the thread switched directions because that's what conversations do, lol.
I'm with Pelicn: I enjoy work, but tarps are just too heavy for me, and I don't even want to think about chains!

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Maybe our next truck will be a flatbed reefer.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter

Phil,
Belive it or not I've seen a couple of covered wagons with reefers on the front. I guess maybe they use them for hauling stuff like onions. I know they haul onions in those covered wagons but they can'tcompletelty tarp them because if they get hot they will sweat. Then if it looks like rain you have to stop and tarp. Then when the rain stops you have to stop and untarp.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Don't you just hate it when your onions sweat?

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Returning to the topic, it seems that there are people at both Panther and FedEx that have varying experiences with reefers. Reefers have worked for some and not for others. Diane and I are among the ones for whom reefers have worked.

Year to date 2007, 49% of our loads have been reefer loads. Since putting our truck in service in June, 2006, 48% of our loads have been reefer loads.

These reefer percentage numbers are higher than we had when we drove reefer-equipped fleet owner trucks. It is impossible to know why. It could be because FedEx reefer business has improved. It could be because our reefer has not broken down like the older units did on fleet owner trucks. It could be because this is the first TVAL-qualified reefer truck we have driven. Or it could be a combination of all of the above. The freight size and/or dispatch procedures regarding CR and DR may also enter in. It is hard to say.

What I know for sure is almost half our freight is reefer freight that pays more than dry freight. As long as that continues, we will continue to operate a reefer-equipped truck. If not, we will drop the under-body reefer off the truck and use the space to house a slide-out barbeque grill.

Prarysun

Seasoned Expediter

Well thank you all for your comments, I finally got online to read them...entertaining in the least., I like Ateams comments about getting a flat bed reefer!! LOL....As far as comparing apples to oranges with reefer freight, why Charlotte, they seem very similair to me. The only difference is FECC pays more for reefer and less for reg freight, so you are less likely to get passed over for loads sitting there along side a 1.20 truck when you are a 1.55 a mile truck. For me this works better and we are much busier now for which I am very grateful. If I were to do it over again I probably would not get another reefer, just too much expense, cannot haul as much weight unless you get a third axle, and not that great a return on investment. But since I am stuck with it I will make it work. I guess my story is not sitting around waiting for bankruptcy and moving when you need to move, companies that is. Live and learn again and again...I'll get it right or die tryin....lol

Dianne