another Panther policy???

gexcel500

Expert Expediter
I did two runs that I was paid for fewer miles than the load offer was for. Called driver settlement and left message regarding the errors. Never got a call back but received in the mail statements that my request had been denied, they can't pay more than the customer was billed for. Called driver relations and was told that this was a common problem and that the drivers should ask dispatch what the number of miles that are being billed to the customer
are because those are the miles that we will be paid on..inother words the number of miles on the load offer may not be the miles we are actually paid for..what a crock. Has any one else come across this problem and can Panther legally pay the drivers for fewer miles than the load offer was for? Everything already seems weighted against the drivers, we don't need another thing to worry about.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had one run that I knew was short compared to the QC. When I put it into Streets and Trips the miles were just about what they paid me. I've had runs that the QC miles were way short of the actual miles but that was the contract with the particular customer. There are several on short contracts. Now I write the miles to shipper, paid miles, rate and fsc on the Pro sheet just above the shipper line. I've never had a problem since.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
When they offer you the run, ask them how the milage is figured. They have always told us. If by chance you have a suspicion that it is incorrect, run it on your laptop.
Ours have been accurate short of a couple of times, and those were inaccurate routing due to hazmat loads. The load couldn't legally follow their routing.
Forgot one..........several weeks ago we had to get a adjustment for a reroute because of the hurricane.

It may not help every single time, but being alittle proactive will go a long way.:)

Davekc

aquawarrior7

Expert Expediter
>I did two runs that I was paid for fewer miles than the load
>offer was for. Called driver settlement and left message
>regarding the errors. Never got a call back but received in
>the mail statements that my request had been denied, they
>can't pay more than the customer was billed for. Called
>driver relations and was told that this was a common problem
>and that the drivers should ask dispatch what the number of
>miles that are being billed to the customer
>are because those are the miles that we will be paid
>on..inother words the number of miles on the load offer may
>not be the miles we are actually paid for..what a crock. Has
>any one else come across this problem and can Panther
>legally pay the drivers for fewer miles than the load offer
>was for? Everything already seems weighted against the
>drivers, we don't need another thing to worry about.

Ok, so what you are saying is like the qc says the loaded miles is 1,280 at 1.25 you expect to get paid for 1,280 miles and are not right? The customer is only billed for say 1,100 miles.
If this is what you are saying then I personally think you should find out if its legal cause that doesnt sound like what they said in orientation. If they send out a load at less than actual miles and you accept it that way it's just the way it goes. But if they send you a load offer they need to pay you for the miles they claim on qualcomm offer you accepted.

BigDiesel

Expert Expediter
Man with all these complaints latley about Panthers policies im glad Im going with Con Way Now. Great people!

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Don't know Panther policy but IBC has a habit of wanting loads delivered within a time limit and the route we used was longer than the billing miles. Reason was customer was billed on shortest routing rather than actual route, but wanted load in shortest time. For one customer short route was over 1 hour longer than fastest so we all got the short shaft on those loads.
Rob Fis

BigDiesel

Expert Expediter
Thats has to be illegal, I mean what the dispatcher says should be a binding verbal contract. I would contact an attorney.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok folks, lets don't get wrapped around the axle here.

When the company bids on a run, a shorter mile rate may play a part in obtaining the run. Example: I bid 1200 miles on a run that is actual @ 1300. Rate @ 1200 miles may be 77 to 80 cents. Another company bids 1300 miles @ .70 per mile. The game begins biding back and forth until it is awarded. When offered a run I always ask;

1. How many paid miles
2. How many deadhead miles, (lets me know how fast I need to get ready)
3. Rate
4. Number of skids
5. Weight

Your dispatchers know that they have lost runs because other companies come in and low-ball the bid. My paid miles and actual miles have never been a big enough difference to worry about. I have had many runs that miles were say 350, but paid miles were 310 miles. Then my GPS shows from my location it is 355 miles. Am I going to trun down the run over a few miles? Nope.

I do not worry about deadhead miles, (cost of doing business)

I take the run and life goes on.

Manage your business but remember that micro management is not necessary. It will drive you nuts.

Steady

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
>Ok folks, lets don't get wrapped around the axle here.
>
>When the company bids on a run, a shorter mile rate may play
>a part in obtaining the run. Example: I bid 1200 miles on a
>run that is actual @ 1300. Rate @ 1200 miles may be 77 to 80
>cents. Another company bids 1300 miles @ .70 per mile. The
>game begins biding back and forth until it is awarded. When
>offered a run I always ask;
>
>1. How many paid miles
>2. How many deadhead miles, (lets me know how fast I need to
>get ready)
>3. Rate
>4. Number of skids
>5. Weight
>
>Your dispatchers know that they have lost runs because other
>companies come in and low-ball the bid. My paid miles and
>actual miles have never been a big enough difference to
>worry about. I have had many runs that miles were say 350,
>but paid miles were 310 miles. Then my GPS shows from my
>location it is 355 miles. Am I going to trun down the run
>over a few miles? Nope.
>
>I do not worry about deadhead miles, (cost of doing
>business)
>
>
>I take the run and life goes on.
>
>Manage your business but remember that micro management is
>not necessary. It will drive you nuts.
>
>Steady

well i have got to say that this is the most absurd post that i've read in a long time.how do you expect to stay in business,and turn a decent profit with practices like these? in this time of rising costs of everything most notably the cost of fuel,you need to scrape for every cent that is due you.statements like the one where you say that deadhead is cost of doing business is nonsense.there have been many times i have turned down runs that would have paid pretty decent money if i had bee in the area where it originated.but after figuring in a 300 or 400 miles for deadhead and it turns into cheap frieght in a hurry.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Steadie Eddie wrote:
When the company bids on a run, a shorter mile rate may play a part in obtaining the run. Example: I bid 1200 miles on a run that is actual @ 1300. Rate @ 1200 miles may be 77 to 80 cents. Another company bids 1300 miles @ .70 per mile. The game begins biding back and forth until it is awarded. When offered a run I always ask;
=====================================================================

I strongly disagree with you. Using your example, that is 100 miles. Assuming you complete two runs a week at that milage, that is 200 miles per week. At 46 weeks per year that is $7084 total for the year minus the fuel surcharge. On a van add 15 cents per mile average and that is a additional $1380. Added together, that is a $8464 loss.
Using your second example of a run being under paid 50 miles. If you completed 4 of these runs a week, then you would arrive at the same number. Assuming it is maybe half that you are accepting at that rate, then of course it would represent a $4232 loss.

With a straight truck or tractor the difference is quite a bit higher. Using your examples, that could equal a year of truck payments for some. Again, I couldn't disagree more. If they (the company) is bidding the freight too cheap, I think they should restructure to remain competitive, and not drop it on the backs of their fleet.

I don't care what the company is, if they agree to a certain number per mile or percentage of the load per contract, that is what they need to bid their load at. It is not a situation of; "lets bid the load and our driver will haul it for what we can get it at"
That is only applicable when I bid my own loads.
Then it is my responsibility to make up the difference to my drivers.

Bottom line;
You should get paid for the miles or percentage that you agreed to (per contract). Not something that is changed later. Consistency of doing business in that fashion would send me to greener pastures. There are exceptions were it may be tough to move you. The difference is, are you informed up front? Then it becomes YOUR choice. Not deception.
But, one must be proactive and review these type of loads prior to accepting them.
If you agree to do a run without ALL of the information, then it is own fault.
Simple as that.

Davekc
owner
21 years

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
What a dispatcher says is a verbal contract ?:D I have to call my attorney . He'll be busy for a year working on all the contract breaches !

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
>=====================================================================
>
>I strongly disagree with you. Using your example, that is
>100 miles. Assuming you complete two runs a week at that
>milage, that is 200 miles per week. At 46 weeks........

Assuming is your problem.

Your analysis may be close if every single run was like that.....

Two things you did not read in my post..

Do not Micro manage

Do not get wrapped around the axle

All I can say is I am doing very well the way I run. I have never turned down a load.

Above budget in revenue and below buget in cost. (yes, even with high cost of fuel)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I agree that companies are low-balling the miles. I just took a load that paid for 615 loaded miles. Mapquest said the distance was 657. I know they use different software, but a 7% difference? If I were driving for a set rate, I would be a little upset. But since I set my price, I don't worry about it. I just need to make sure to base my time on the actual milage.

Axis714

Expert Expediter
I see now that the admins here wont even take the time to rationally disagree with my posts. Or for that matter, allow truthful information to be exchanged in an open forum. They simply delete that which they dont agree with.
What exactly is the point of this forum if not to allow useful driver information to be exchanged? Thanks for the censorship EO,as we all acknowledge that truth may be hazardous to recruitment.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Assuming is your problem.

Your analysis may be close if every single run was like that.....

Two things you did not read in my post..

Do not Micro manage

Do not get wrapped around the axle

All I can say is I am doing very well the way I run. I have never turned down a load.

Above budget in revenue and below buget in cost. (yes, even with high cost of fuel)
=================================================================
My analysis was based on your examples, and using two runs per week, not ALL runs. Even one run a week @ a 50 to 100 mile variance adds up. If you worked 46 weeks out of the year, at .77 per mile, that is $1771 to $3542. Adding 15% for FSC, and you can add 3 to $500.
I personally would find that a number not to be ignored. As mentioned, on a straight truck or tractor, these costs would more than double.

With fuel and operating costs continuing to climb, it does become necessary to "micro manage" all aspects of your costs. It isn't like freight rates have went up. Rates are the same or less in each of the past five years. If you have never turned down a load, it would be clear to me that you are running at a loss on some runs. That is just my opinion regardless of company. I believe the fact that you are making money, but that is much different than running effectively to maximize profits and income.
You would have a hard time convincing me that a run to Montana would be a profitable adventure when ALL costs and MILES are calculated.
Then again, maybe your pushing your van back to ND or MN for the next load. You right, I shouldn't assume too much.

Davekc

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
> I see now that the admins here wont even take the time to
>rationally disagree with my posts. Or for that matter, allow
>truthful information to be exchanged in an open forum. They
>simply delete that which they dont agree with.
> What exactly is the point of this forum if not to allow
>useful driver information to be exchanged? Thanks for the
>censorship EO,as we all acknowledge that truth may be
>hazardous to recruitment.

What was removed? Apparently I missed it. I responded to Steddie Eddie but didn't see yours.

Davekc

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
> I see now that the admins here wont even take the time to
>rationally disagree with my posts. Or for that matter, allow
>truthful information to be exchanged in an open forum. They
>simply delete that which they dont agree with.
> What exactly is the point of this forum if not to allow
>useful driver information to be exchanged? Thanks for the
>censorship EO,as we all acknowledge that truth may be
>hazardous to recruitment.

AXIS714:

None of us censor comments that meet with the terms of agreement that members agree to when signing on to EO. If you have negative comments that are supported by facts, you are welcome to post them. None of the Mods on line as I type this has knowledge of the post to which you refer. If you'd like, please re-post.

Terry

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Your post was removed becaused it had masked expletive in it.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dave,

I spent 25 years in the Aircraft Service Industry my last position before going into another line of work, was Regional Financial Analysis. During this time I have complied budgets, forecast and cost controls for over 45 profit centers around the US.
I have seen acceptable profit margins at 10% of Revenue. I have analyzed negative profit centers and closed them down or changed management staff. I have seen a P&L statements go from 2 pages to 8 pages, when CEO’s wanted to track how much is spent on stamps, coffee, pens and paper clips etc. I have seen the effects of micro management and how it affects the bottom line. You have to have a “cost of doing business” category. Mine includes deadhead miles, stamps, wal-mart, oil changes, Loan and PM’s.

Each run has revenue and cost. Some runs cost are covered by the previous run due to the short miles. Most runs will have cost allocated to that run and each run will have the bottom line written on my run sheet. I know from run to run where I stand for the month. I get offered a run that is more of an inconvenience than a loss, I still take it, and it has worked out in the long run. When I get home I compile my actual numbers in my budget, and forecast out the rest of the year based on known performance factors. The ol’ “all things being equal” this is how I should finish out the year. If I face unknown items I make adjustments to get back to acceptable profit margins. I will not or can not stay in business if I have a loss.

I can’t see turning down a load. I will take a load to the west coast, knowing I will have to deadhead back. Thirty cents a mile after cost is still better than zero.

I can’t see turning down a load because the miles are off a little. If you remember this is how this all got started. Just because I will not turn down a run doesn’t mean others should. I was just stating my “.02” worth based on my situation.

Steady

rollingstock

Expert Expediter
Okay Eddie, I am trying to follow your logic. Is it your position that you don't turn down any run because you are basing your revenue on a monthly total against monthly expense? If that is the case, you might have a problem if you extend yourself too many times during the month. If you would, please fill me in on your logic. I am always trying to see the picture from a different perspective and would appreciate any new ways to view the canvas.

:eek: