another newbie, another day

ed2012

Active Expediter
Hello everyone,

This is not my first time on EO Forums, I joined a while back and have been relatively inactive. I have read through many of the posts relating to newbies (since I am a newbie myself).

Here is my situation. I just got unemployed a few weeks ago working a solid job getting paid $18hr. I might add I live in a suburb of Chicago. The wife has a job but we are expecting our first child SOON.

I am sick and tired of working for companies and being just an employee. I always wanted to get into this business. I did small package delivery a few years ago with my car and liked it. Here is my question for you guys...

In a nutshell, I am thinking about buying a Sprinter van, getting on with a company and taking it from there...Now since I live in Chicago, how much time can I expect to be out on the road until I come back home? I heard Chicago is a transportation hub and that a lot of freight moves in/out the city.

What is the insurance like for a Sprinter van?
$4500 year? more? less?

I need about 600-700/week in order to pay bills and feed the family, can this amount be made driving a Sprinter from Chicago? Obviously the more the better.

Would it be a good idea to get my own authority number?

I know these questions were asked thousands of times, but I'd appreciate the help. I am strongly thinking about doing this but just need some advice.

Thank you in advance...

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not trying to discourage you... But young family... Stay Home.... Find a job around Chicago... Can't replace time lost being away from young family..

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020W using EO Forums mobile app

rymilburn

Active Expediter
Great advice. If you worked it right, you can figure out a pattern where you do not stay any farther than 500 miles from home at any given time. With a newborn, you will probably need to stay within striking distance of home.

Do NOT start out with a sprinter. Are you prepared for a 2k shop bill when it breaks down?? $400 oil changes. I've put 5k into mine over the past 6 months just fixing it...they are for experienced owners only, not newbies.

Second, check it out first. Ride along with someone... Figure out the ropes of the system. Are you willing to sleep in a van when it's -10 outside? How about maybe sit for three days on end with no load, and yes it will happen

There is a lot more to the business than you think.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Take what the esteemed gentlemen above say to heart. They do not lie.

ed2012

Active Expediter
So a cargo van a better option? I just figured its saturated with cargo vans..staying 500 miles or so is what i was thinking.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is nothing more rewarding than watching your child grow. keep your job and stay home!

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
If you have small children stay home. My wife has had custody of our now 9 month old granddaughter since January. It kills me that I can't be home with them at night. There is something new happening almost all the time. Being away you miss too much. And you only get one chance per child to experience things.

jamom123

Expert Expediter
Ed2012, I also have a family at home and I try to be home as often as possible. It's not impossible to do the only thing i'm concerned with is what your saying you need to make weekly. If that's what your planning on making after all expenses I just don't see it if your planning on being close to home.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Only a week out at max makes it really tough. Many times theres a pretty big DH home. To do that every week gets expensive!

ed2012

Active Expediter
Thank you all for the feedback. It's much appreciated. I guess I can take a few weeks more to figure out what I should do. Definitely my plan is not to stay out on the road for too long since I will have a baby and I am a family man so it wouldn't work out.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here is my situation. I just got unemployed a few weeks ago working a solid job getting paid $18hr. I might add I live in a suburb of Chicago. The wife has a job but we are expecting our first child SOON.
"The wife", I said that once a long time ago and I still walk with a limp. Why not wait until after the baby is born and see what comes along. Daycare, especially for an infant will take a large chunk out of one's weekly pay. Sometimes it just isn't worth it for both parents to work full time and pay daycare. Maybe you could find a part time job working nights or weekends for awhile.

Does the wife have health insurance? Is she planning on working after the baby is born? If she goes back to work and you are on the road who will take care of the child when it is sick? Kids get sick and aren't allowed at daycare. She could easily burn up her sick days and vacation in the first six months and possibly lose her job. Take your time and think it through. Expediting will still be around unless the robots take over.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would agree with the others and stay home. Even more so with a baby on the way. In your circumstances, divorce could be your highest cost. Never assume as a mother starts to look at things a little differently if she feels she is shouldering the whole family. Happens all the time whether trucking or the military.