Another new driver believes the Hype on expediting.

2czykats

Seasoned Expediter
A friend of mine is an otr 18 wheeler for a good paying company. Claims 3000.00/week gross. Says he has government security clearance and that Fed EX Custom Critical wants him on board and says he can make more money.

So he is selling a Harley, car, and trailer as down on an 01 Freightliner classic with 770,000 miles for 22,000.00. Also says Fed ex has a maintenance program for your truck if it breaks down it is completely covered.

Has he been boonswaggled or does he know something that we don't know. I tried to tell him it was a bad time to start expediting for anyone but won't here it. He will pay cash for difference on truck so no payments but there is always something else that can go wrong. Any opinions?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Gee, I wish I had a "NO COST" Maintenece program with FedEx or anyone else for that matter. Layoutshooter

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I hope your friend before he sells all of his toys talks to other T/T solo drivers. I have never heard of a maintenance program at FedEx Custom Critical. It sounds like he is either being told a bunch of malarkey or he is telling you a bunch of malarkey.

Last edited:

ericmoss37

Seasoned Expediter
Sounds like mis-information....I think FedEx Ground has a program like that.

I have trucks on with FedEx Home Delivery and they have what you call a service account that once a quater if you have at least $500 dollars in the account they will give you $100 dollars of free cash in the account. After three years it goes up to $150 dollars and I think it maxs out at $300 after ten years of service.

2czykats

Seasoned Expediter
I need to call him later this evening and see if he is talking about fed ex ground. My cousin has 3 vans and a tractor with fed ex ground in Colorado and free maintenance was never brought up by him either. My friend must be getting info from different sources and those sources are also confused. Thanks for comments so far.

I have been telling him about EO for over a year and tell him he can find out just about everything a person needs to know or wants to know, because of the many stages of experience all the drivers on here have. Even though I have been out of expediting now for a year I come on here daily and enjoy all the topics and have been telling him about how slow it has been, but he never has joined or even looked yet. Oh well he can't blame anyone but self .

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
I have trucks on with FECC and have never heard of them having a maintenance program but would LOVE to hear all about one if they did.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
A friend of mine is an otr 18 wheeler for a good paying company. Claims 3000.00/week gross. Says he has government security clearance and that Fed EX Custom Critical wants him on board and says he can make more money.

So he is selling a Harley, car, and trailer as down on an 01 Freightliner classic with 770,000 miles for 22,000.00. Also says Fed ex has a maintenance program for your truck if it breaks down it is completely covered.

Has he been boonswaggled or does he know something that we don't know. I tried to tell him it was a bad time to start expediting for anyone but won't here it. He will pay cash for difference on truck so no payments but there is always something else that can go wrong. Any opinions?

If your friend plans on running solo,he can for get about his gov. security clearance,those loads only go to teams.As far as truck repairs,you can get them to set back a percentage of your pay to cover any breakdowns you may incure on the road,but other than that ,you better have operating expenses.I think your friend was talking to a fed ex ground recruiter

Scott101

Seasoned Expediter
I have been telling him about EO for over a year and tell him he can find out just about everything a person needs to know or wants to know, because of the many stages of experience all the drivers on here have. Even though I have been out of expediting now for a year I come on here daily and enjoy all the topics and have been telling him about how slow it has been, but he never has joined or even looked yet. Oh well he can't blame anyone but self .

Yeah, I don't get it. I've been online practically everyday for 15+ years. There isn't a subject known to man that can't be researched online. Yet I have friends that barely own a computer, don't know how to use it and basically don't want to know. I can see how poorly informed they are not only on current events but also their careers. I guess ignorance is bliss! LoL!

I wish we had the internet when I was in school. I might have actually been interested, or maybe even learned something!

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
If your friend plans on running solo,he can for get about his gov. security clearance,those loads only go to teams.As far as truck repairs,you can get them to set back a percentage of your pay to cover any breakdowns you may incure on the road,but other than that ,you better have operating expenses.I think your friend was talking to a fed ex ground recruiter

FedEx Custom Critical does not have a maintenance plan or anyway you can set back money for repairs or any other business expenses. FCC is not a bank or a savings account. They have your escrow account and that is to cover freight damage or if you or they terminate your lease to cover anything you do not send back to them such as QUALCOMM.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I don't envy anyone who wants to switch to a new field right now.

2czykats

Seasoned Expediter
Talked to my friend and he said Fed ex CC won't take anything older than an 04 and his is an 01 but is still talking to them. Also he was talking about Fed Ex Ground also just did not tell me when we first talked.
He will have a team driver with him and is also looking at a company called Mercer, not sure if spelled right. So there is a lot of info that he is getting from different companies and confusing it all together.
He is going to look at truck this weekend and I will talk to him again then.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
we have a conflict....

Steve aka nightcreature says there is a set back program to hold funds...

TeamC..aka Linda says there is not.....

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
Tell your friend that I have some nice ocean front property in Arizona I'd be willing to trade for the Harley!!!! :)

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Talked to my friend and he said Fed ex CC won't take anything older than an 04 and his is an 01 but is still talking to them. Also he was talking about Fed Ex Ground also just did not tell me when we first talked.
He will have a team driver with him and is also looking at a company called Mercer, not sure if spelled right. So there is a lot of info that he is getting from different companies and confusing it all together.
He is going to look at truck this weekend and I will talk to him again then.

Most carriers will take something older if it's a class 8 truck. Anything beneath a class 8 is generally 4-5 years.

My class 8 straight truck is a 2000 FLD, and it's just getting broken in good at 810,000 miles.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
we have a conflict....

Steve aka nightcreature says there is a set back program to hold funds...

TeamC..aka Linda says there is not.....

Well I guess I was mistaken,I thought I read where fecc had a program,but evedently not,as i just called to ask about it.
And I always thought I knew it all.