Another GPS Question

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Sorry! How about this one instead: "It's been the worst day since yesterday" (Flogging Molly) :p

flattop40

Expert Expediter
In my lap top I have both the garmin,(sucks) and streets and trips,and thru my sprint phone,I also have gps.I like my phone gps as well as any,but when routing myself or checking the miles compared to what Ive been offered,the streets and trips is great.You can also get it to use prefered roads,that I cant do with my cell,but after I go off route,cause of useing my own diretions,the phone will change to the way I'm going.My main reason for GPS is just for local directions,I can read a map so as far as needing a GPS to get me from one town to another,it would just be a useless.GPS,its just a toy.

Night is correct. All I use is streets and trips. I also have the gps version of S & T so you have the turn by turn routing and if you get off course it will automaticly put you back on course. As far as the preferred roads option this last trip I just brought out to York PA from Lansing MI initially it called for over 350 miles of toll roads. Well this load did not pay for tolls so I told it to not use toll roads and I added 30 miles to the trip however it probably saved me $30 in tolls and I never went down a "side" road. It sent me over mostly limited access highways.

Plus the screen is as big as your laptop so there is no squinting to see plus you can set your zoom to how ever you want. As far back as the whole country or as close as a few hundred yards.

I wouldn't use anything else!!!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Flattop: have you ever used a standalone GPS such as Garmin? If you search the archives, there is some very pertinent info on why its' screen size is superior to the laptop. I started with S&T on the laptop, and would never go back after getting a Garmin.

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Flattop: have you ever used a standalone GPS such as Garmin? If you search the archives, there is some very pertinent info on why its' screen size is superior to the laptop. I started with S&T on the laptop, and would never go back after getting a Garmin.

Nope have never used a standalone. Are you telling me that size does not matter? ;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Actually, size does matter, but in this case, believe it don't, smaller is better. My biggest concern in getting a standalone, without question, is the teeny tiny screen size. And like Cheri, I wouldn't want to go back to the laptop. Downside to a standalone is that it makes a really crappy "atlas", where you can browse the map and/or get a good overview of things. For that, I use S&T. I still carry the GPS receiver for the laptop, but haven't plugged it in since I started using the Garmin.

Over in the Tech Forum there's some good info on laptops versus srtandalones.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
anyone using
worldnav 7200 with blue tooth
gps for commercial truck drivers
7inch screen
features
large touch screen portable gps
truck restriction routing
hazmat routing 10 levels
voice directions
touch screen gps for us & canada
mp3 player & video player
12million points of intrest
truck stops & weigh stations
automatic reverse camera (camera sold seperatly)
$599.00
GPS on SALE : GPS Tracking