Canada another angle on speed limiters in Canada

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
Now that the grace period has ended in Quebec and Ontario,
has any of you heard or read anything dependable, trustworthy, or authoritative
about this angle:
Do the enforcers expect and require
that a speed limiter be set at absolutely nothing more than 65 m.p.h.?
Or might some slightly higher number be OK (as in enforcing the posted speed limits)?
Maybe 68 or 70 or even 72?
That is, do the enforcers allow any tolerance in the setting of the limiters?
Empty speculation is irrelative.
Has any of you heard or read (or seen) anything from the bears themselves?
Thanks.
Doc -- FedEx CC D-6789.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
65 or lower.......period!!

Anything above and you get the fine. Lower is OK.

The time for "discussion or debate" at the scalehouse is over. Comply or pay.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
The speed limiter is just a setting on your truck's ECM . If can quickly be reset when leaving Canada . The dealership charged $90 , the minimum labor charge to set mine . Now I know none of you would do anything dishonest but I had heard entering an improper axle ratio in the parameters would allow you to run faster than the speed limiter would show being set at . That is considered tampering but at present time there is no way for the inspectors to detect that . Truck News - Blog: Questions remain about speed limiter enforcement tactics

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ontario/Quebec plated trucks are passing me every day 70/75mph....limiters my butt..they've found a way...:D

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Then you have to be checked . The open scales I crossed in Ontario the past couple of weeks had an inspector doing a quick visual inspection of brakes , lights , and tires as the trucks crossed the scale . If your truck looks good you aren't too likely to be pulled around for inspection .

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I meant they were doing the speed limit + down here....

Ontario will have summer college students like they always have...the checks will diminish when they go back to usual staffing levels....it is not like they check every time you cross...They are still civil servants...where they don't have them big chicken coops with protection from the rain and snow they aren't going to do many checks...*L*

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
We were pulled over on PR 7 coming out of Chatam, ON near the 401. Officer said we did nothing wrong, just a routine inspection. He did a walk around, asked if the limiter was set and asked to see our QC HOS and last DVIR done (has to be within last 24 hrs). Luckily we had just had it set before crossing into Canada and he asked for the documentation. Another officer pulled up asking if he needed assistance and he told the officer, aparently a rooky, to pull the truck over that just passed and check his to see if his truck is speed limited.

He was cordial enough and found no inspection violations. He also was asking what we planned to do after leaving Canada, removing it or what?. Not sure what that was about but we let them know we did not like it for what that's worth. In retrospect, our pick up location took us around the scale, they were probably looking for scale by-passers.

Short of it, you had better be prepared to show documentation, they are checking.

retidepxe

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
kinda tough to inspect trucks when the coops are all closed on the 401. matter of fact from windsor to alliston to ft erie i saw three members of the opp. they were going to an accident scene with lights flashing. there was no speed enforcement. cars were running way over the 100kph limit.

sure just pick on the trucks. it is all their fault. riiiight.
:rolleyes:

anthonycobello

Seasoned Expediter
Now that the grace period has ended in Quebec and Ontario,
has any of you heard or read anything dependable, trustworthy, or authoritative
about this angle:
Do the enforcers expect and require
that a speed limiter be set at absolutely nothing more than 65 m.p.h.?
Or might some slightly higher number be OK (as in enforcing the posted speed limits)?
Maybe 68 or 70 or even 72?
That is, do the enforcers allow any tolerance in the setting of the limiters?
Empty speculation is irrelative.
Has any of you heard or read (or seen) anything from the bears themselves?
Thanks.
Doc -- FedEx CC D-6789.

I have talked to a supervisor and an officer at a scale house. Speed Limiters are statutory. They must check and they must ticket. they have one trained tech at each scale house per shift but are training more as well as purchasing more testing equipment. There is a company that will start doing business at the Ambassabor Bridge Pre-Approval compound called Speed Setters. The cost is only $10.00 each way. They plan locations in Port Huron, Buffalo, Alexandria Bay and Champlain. You can enter and exit at different ports and still have your speen set back when returning to the US.

anthonycobello

Seasoned Expediter
Speed Setters will do it for 10 bucks each way. They will begin doing this at the pre-approval lot at the Ambassador Bridge August 1, 2009

anthonycobello

Seasoned Expediter
A speed restrictor is when you re-set the trucks ECM parameters. You must have the pedal and the cruise control set to a max. of 105 kph or 65mph. Speed Setters will do this for only $10.00.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the Ad.

After two weeks of talking with the vendors of the software, the manufacturers of the engines and the OPP not to mention other officials and vendors, my opinion for what it's worth is simply $10 is too cheap to get this done.

I will stop there, again thank you for the ad.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the Ad.

After two weeks of talking with the vendors of the software, the manufacturers of the engines and the OPP not to mention other officials and vendors, my opinion for what it's worth is simply $10 is too cheap to get this done.

I will stop there, again thank you for the ad.
$.50 a mile is too cheap to haul freight but that doesn't stop somebody from doing it . Somebody can charge $10 and probably do four or more an hour . That's better money than you make trucking . Is $10 too little or is the $90 shop minimum plus an EPA charge of $8 too much ? But then Speed Steers better be insured and have certified technicians when they go fooling with ECM settings .

greg334

Veteran Expediter
$.50 a mile is too cheap to haul freight but that doesn't stop somebody from doing it . Somebody can charge $10 and probably do four or more an hour . That's better money than you make trucking . Is $10 too little or is the $90 shop minimum plus an EPA charge of $8 too much ? But then Speed Steers better be insured and have certified technicians when they go fooling with ECM settings .

I agree to a point.

You pay for what you get, if something happens, then you will pay. The website doesn't describe the training or licensing they hold.

They will undoubtedly have you sign a waiver and if they screw something up, then your in for a long court battle to get things straight. If they are unlicensed, which is common here in this state, then you have less recourse.

If this was so simple, then every truck would be equipped with ways of adjusting the settings right from the dash. The manufacturers do not want untrained people messing with it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Of course not...take it to a dealer so they can make money...the idea is a little self serving...

NO I'm talking about the engine manufacturers, not the truck builders. There is a difference. You can take their training if you are sponsored by a dealer - kind of twisted there.

The engine guys are pointing out that the ECM should not be messed with by someone who has not taken their training. They make a valid point especially with ECMs that are customized for certain fleets.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I agree to a point.

You pay for what you get, if something happens, then you will pay. The website doesn't describe the training or licensing they hold.

They will undoubtedly have you sign a waiver and if they screw something up, then your in for a long court battle to get things straight. If they are unlicensed, which is common here in this state, then you have less recourse.

If this was so simple, then every truck would be equipped with ways of adjusting the settings right from the dash. The manufacturers do not want untrained people messing with it.
I'll tell you what happened when a "trained person" set mine . He told me he also had to do a recall on a wiring harness for my light switch . The following morning when I did a pretrip 500 miles away in Canada I had no marker lights . The resulting delay at a Canadian shop showed this trained person improperly routed a ground wire . When was the last time a dealership paid you for downtime to correct shoddy workmanship ?

anthonycobello

Seasoned Expediter
Speed Setters staff will be fully trained. The software tracks all changes to the ECM. There will ne no chance for an error. We will only access the truck speed parameters.

anthonycobello

Seasoned Expediter
Speed Setters wil be certified to do this procedure. We are truckers too and just want to be fair to all. Our techs. will not be able to do any other monifications to the engines ECM. all work is documented in the software and a reciept is provided.