Canada another angle on speed limiters in Canada

anthonycobello

Seasoned Expediter
If caught by OPP for speeding you will also recieve a ticket for running unrestricted. The fine is $390.00 The only enforcement officials having the equipment in the Ministry of Transport. in their mobile units and at the scale houses

anthonycobello

Seasoned Expediter
THis is why Speed Setters is your best choice. It's all we do and we do not access the trucks diagnostic system. We only change the speed. We will be at the Ambassabor Bridge pre-approval center on Fort Street. Soon after we will also be at the Bluewater Bridge as well as in Buffalo on River Rd.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Antony,
May I make a suggestion...... instead of multiple postings, spell out who is doing what (**meaning back your service with names and qualifications if you believe in what you are doing), what kind of training is being done (**like where you take your training at and what software you are using) and maybe buy ad space here on the site (**it builds credibility).

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
Antony,
May I make a suggestion...... instead of multiple postings, spell out who is doing what (**meaning back your service with names and qualifications if you believe in what you are doing), what kind of training is being done (**like where you take your training at and what software you are using) and maybe buy ad space here on the site (**it builds credibility).

Exactally while doing it the way your doing it gives it a very fly-by-night feel.

...and crazy exactally as well we all know fairly well the level of training they get at dealerships, and they muck things up imagine the "training" some who's charging a 10th the price is getting.

sweetbillebob

Seasoned Expediter
There are a couple of ways a truck can run faster than 65 with the speed limiter set to 65. You can change your diff. ratio or tire revs. per mile. The currently do not check these variables, have become aware that these must be checked also, and plan to do so in the future.

Also, Freightliner has something called "SmartPass" It is designed to work with the speed limiter. It allows running faster for a specific amount of time during a specific period. SmartPass has the following variables.
Max Speed. Ex. 70MPH
Duration, Ex. 30 Minutes
Reset Time, Ex. 8 hours.

In this example a driver could run 70MPH for 30 minutes over an 8 our period, then it resets and starts counting again. It is designed to help with passing and other situations that require extra speed when the limiter is set.

Most Canadians I have talked with have these variables set to something like the variables I used as an example. The drivers do not know if this is legal, but some have been checked and passed.

I got my info about a month back while at a Freightliner dealership in CA, talking with both drivers present and service manager.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The OPP knows about FL Smart pass (which is not a FL exclusive thing) and they know about the correction information in the ECM for the tires and rear axle. They are not dumb but are limited by checks they can make at this moment seeing that theit guidelines are still being written.

It was mentioned by the OPP if you are caught speeding, instead of issuing you a ticket, they may do an ECM dump and ticket you according to the other settings on top of the speeding.

sweetbillebob

Seasoned Expediter
I was not suggesting that one should make these changes. Just replying to the thread posted about how trucks could be running faster than 65 in Canada. As I said and you also said, the OPP knows about the other settings. It seems not including them in the basic dump was an oversight by them and will be corrected in the future. The jury is still out as to the Smart Pass variables as I understand it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Sorry sweetbillebob, I didn't mean to be so obtuse about it.

The smart pass thing is programed into a lot of the engine ECMs but not accessible through some of the programs. I have played with it while messing with the ECM on my truck and it really can get you into trouble (the good way that is).

There are other ways to deal with the Canadian issue, I talked to one of the ecm programmers at one of the engine manufactures and he made a comment there is been a request to create an update to the firmware so there is a 'switch' of some sort that can be installed to make the change to the top speed of the trucks.

sweetbillebob

Seasoned Expediter
A switch would be nice, may not be acceptable to the DOT though. I was thinking a switch tied to a GPS system might be a good idea. This could be used in the states also as an alternative to the national 65MPH limiter that is currently be considered.