And This....is 2020

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
In Cedar Rapids now. Nibbles in Waterloo but they died out.

Didn't get my oatmeal fix here either, so I might develop oatmeal withdrawal symptoms. (I get an urge to wear a Quaker hat). Only place that makes it right is TA in Rogers, MN and TA in Duncan, SC. And mama's kitchen.

Sent from my McDonald's booth.
C'mon Jack you're a southerner - Grits with butter & maple syrup. If later in the day it's shrimp grits w/ cheese.

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
C'mon Jack you're a southerner - Grits with butter & maple syrup. If later in the day it's shrimp grits w/ cheese.

Yep, southerner now and a fan of grits. Southern grits that is, hard to find in Iowa. Raised in Michigan on oatmeal, still addicted. To be international, Don, I also looked for genuine Swedish meatballs in Minnesota, but hard to find. I did try authentic lutefish in a Swedish restaurant and believe my ancestors should be ashamed of themselves for foisting that on unsuspecting diners. But I did love fried Spam with eggs while at the spam museum in MN. Right now I'm on a diet for last two weeks to lose fifteen ponds. Still have twenty to go.

Three windshields for me, all free with vehicle registered in Florida. Two deer strikes, both after I slowed down, eased past, and as soon as the headlights passed them, they walked into side of van. Van not damaged, deer got only a headache.

But deer and drunks are still too plentiful on the road and hard to avoid.
We need a better way to thin out both of those hazards.

And on a community note, I was told there might be fine metal shavings in my differential. Ford Transit 250. One mechanic says Ford uses synthetic fluid, a little shaving is fine and built-in magnet picks them up. Never heard of a magnet in differential. Another advised not to worry if no big pieces found. I think I'll get it checked for peace of mind before I get pieces in mine. Anyone else have that problem? No noises or change of driving characteristics.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had a close one this morning. Bambi ran across center median and passed within 3 ft of my bumper at 65MPH, just missed! It's luck ran out seconds later when the Semi to my right didn't miss

On a different note, 5 years Expediting and about to spring for 5th Transit windshield

Yep, southerner now and a fan of grits. Southern grits that is, hard to find in Iowa. Raised in Michigan on oatmeal, still addicted. To be international, Don, I also looked for genuine Swedish meatballs in Minnesota, but hard to find. I did try authentic lutefish in a Swedish restaurant and believe my ancestors should be ashamed of themselves for foisting that on unsuspecting diners. But I did love fried Spam with eggs while at the spam museum in MN. Right now I'm on a diet for last two weeks to lose fifteen ponds. Still have twenty to go.

Three windshields for me, all free with vehicle registered in Florida. Two deer strikes, both after I slowed down, eased past, and as soon as the headlights passed them, they walked into side of van. Van not damaged, deer got only a headache.

And on a community note, I was told there might be fine metal shavings in my differential. Ford Transit 250. One mechanic says Ford uses synthetic fluid, a little shaving is fine and built-in magnet picks them up. Never heard of a magnet in differential. Another advised not to worry if no big pieces found. I think I'll get it checked for peace of mind before I get pieces in mine. Anyone else have that problem? No noises or change of driving characteristics.
Wow , Deer ,Windshields , Rearend and Drivetrain problems .
I have had No Problems with my Transit... oh Wait I Don't Own One .. WOM ..

sent from my Recliner..

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Worthington Travel Plaza in Worthington, MN has excellent Swedish meatballs. You get two the size of tennis balls, mashed taters, and gravy on it all.

It's my 2nd favorite MN truckstop next to the Petro in Clearwater.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

My vehicle is a Sprinter, so take this for what's it's worth ....

I once had metallic dust in my differential fluid that was not caused by the rear differential. Didn't stop one shop from giving me an estimate for $8K+ to change the diff. Funny how when presented with potentially large financial repairs, guys like us can figure out the what the real issue is ... without all the years of supposed experience. My rear diff now has 756K mi on it.

I have a question first ....
You mentioned you were told there might be fine metal shavings in your diff. Please explain. Generally metal is present or it isn't.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had a close one this morning. Bambi ran across center median and passed within 3 ft of my bumper at 65MPH, just missed! It's luck ran out seconds later when the Semi to my right didn't miss

On a different note, 5 years Expediting and about to spring for 5th Transit windshield

One windshield a year isn't outrageous. That was my average until I stopped going north of the border.
Not covered under insurance?

Last edited:

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
One windshield a year isn't outrageous. That was my average until I stopped gong north of the border.
Not covered under insurance?
No - in some states (like Jack in FL) it must be included in policy, in some it's optional and many states make no mention in their "rules" so coverage not offered.

Transit has largest surface area and have paid as little as $400 and as much as $700

Reactions: ntimevan

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No - in some states (like Jack in FL) it must be included in policy, in some it's optional and many states make no mention in their "rules" so coverage not offered.

Transit has largest surface area and have paid as little as $400 and as much as $700

What are the options in your state? Why not ask for it? If it costs an extra $100 per yr, that would be a prudent thing to do ... wouldn't it?

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
What are the options in your state? Why not ask for it? If it costs an extra $100 per yr, that would be a prudent thing to do ... wouldn't it?
Can't answer intelligently because I never thought about it much. But I'm knot sure that prudent & Expediting can be used in the same thread anymore?

Unless you're Mr Corn King sitting in Iowa thumbing his nose at us while thumbing through catalogs for a fishing boat.

Ntimevan - retired but can't be forgotten, I know because I try to!!

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can't answer intelligently because I never thought about it much. But I'm knot sure that prudent & Expediting can be used in the same thread anymore?

Unless you're Mr Corn King sitting in Iowa thumbing his nose at us while thumbing through catalogs for a fishing boat.

Ntimevan - retired but can't be forgotten, I know because I try to!!

Lol ... Ahhh I Feel all Warm and Fuzzy now WOM ..

sent from my Recliner..

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OMG getting coffee at the J this morning and a driver (foreign) walked next to me. If he had bathed within a week it was using a bucket of pizz, and dried himself with garlic bulbs. Worst smelling living thing ever.

Ahhh.... more Proof of the "Standard " Quality of Life of the Last Generation of Expediters.
Garbage Can the Rates , Falsifying Insurance Papers , Trashing Truckstop parking areas , etc. etc... geez I sure Enjoy My Recliner alot more ..

sent from my Recliner..

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am with the King of Corn here too...
5 yrs ago the same issues even 10 yrs ago....and most here are pulling in the same or worse rates! especially if you are with a carrier..there is no money here anymore for this to be a full time venture...costs have spiralled up and income generally down...now its is about the miles..unfortunately.. run more to make more is just wild..of course IMO