And the bigotry continues

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
Christians, by and large, have become exceedingly passive on social and moral issues over the past 10 or 15 years. If the churches don't find their voices pretty quickly, they will be even more marginalized than is the case now.
That wouldn't be a bad thing. Keep the churches voices in the church where it's supposed to be. Remember the whole separation of church and state thing? You guys are the ones always telling everyone what our "founders" wanted. Practice what you preach.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The "separation of church and state" has nothing to do with keeping the churches voice in the church. That voice can be spread anywhere and everywhere that is part of the nation. There is no "separation of church and state" as a matter of fact so there's nothing to remember. What there is is Congress shall pass no law regarding the establishment of religion nor inhibit the free expression thereof. It goes back to this thing called "The Church of England" which was the national, sponsored religion. The FF did not want there to be a "Church of the Americas" so they set it up that way. So anyone talking about or demanding "the separation of church and state" doesn't know what they are talking about.

Reactions: skyraider

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It would be a mistake to look solely at the Amendment regarding the restriction on Congress in the establishment or prevention of religion, and conclude there is no separation of church and state, while ignoring the various and sundry court rulings clarifying the First Amendment which have ruled explicitly that there is a wall of separation of the two.

That doesn't mean church voices must remain inside the churches ("where it's supposed to be"? seriously?), it just means those voices must stay out of government.

Reactions: greasytshirt

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I cannot believe you would compare gays to pedophiles! Gays are consenting adults who do not harm anyone, much less children. Priests are a greater threat to children, and it's religion that protects the threat and vilifies the non threatening.
I don't watch tv, [or think the media's selection of 'news' is much relevant - who really gives a damn about the Kardashians, anyway?!] and I don't believe that "abnormalcy" is necessarily a bad thing, as you seem to be implying. Some abnormalities can lead to genetic improvements, and if homosexuality isn't one of those, it's at least neutral.
You talk about "seething, gut wrenching hatred" in comments, but how many people have been actually attacked or killed by gays? And how many gays have been attacked or killed by straights? How many more have been made so miserable they ended their lives rather than continue? Has even one straight person done so? Yeah, I bet those comments really hurt.
"Sadistic and vengeful retaliations of trying to destroy the lives and livelihoods of people who don't embrace homosexuality as normal and wonderful"?! Get a grip, already! Even if that were true, [and it is not], gays have a very long way to go before even making a dent in the damage done to them already.
They don't care if you don't embrace what they are as normal and wonderful, but they would like to be treated as you treat anyone else: as their individual behavior merits, and not according to a larger group they didn't ask to join.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The "separation of church and state" has nothing to do with keeping the churches voice in the church. That voice can be spread anywhere and everywhere that is part of the nation. There is no "separation of church and state" as a matter of fact so there's nothing to remember. What there is is Congress shall pass no law regarding the establishment of religion nor inhibit the free expression thereof. It goes back to this thing called "The Church of England" which was the national, sponsored religion. The FF did not want there to be a "Church of the Americas" so they set it up that way. So anyone talking about or demanding "the separation of church and state" doesn't know what they are talking about.

The Church of England was the Catholic Church, until Henry the 8th wanted to divorce Catherine of Aragon, and the Pope refused to go along [especially when the rumors started flying about the young bit of fluff known as Nan Bolyn]. Without the Pope's agreement, Henry was stuck with the old wife he had persuaded the Pope to allow him to marry 20 years earlier, [by annulling her marriage to his older brother]. But he always got his way, no matter the cost, and he was willing to evict the Pope and declare himself Head of the Church [non Catholic] of England to do it. Sadly, neither Anne nor her several successors made Henry happy [by giving him a healthy son, which was ironically his fault all along], and he felt guilty about dissing God too, so he switched back to the Catholic worship, [he didn't give back their monasteries, but he stopped burning the priests.] It got a little crazy for a while, people not knowing what was ok anymore, and what kind of worship would get one hanged for treason.
That's why we don't want religion and government tangled up together: people and governments and religions can change, and they do.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Christians, by and large, have become exceedingly passive on social and moral issues over the past 10 or 15 years. If the churches don't find their voices pretty quickly, they will be even more marginalized than is the case now.

Christians are a widely disparate lot, from the fire breathing fundies to the casual, church only on Easter & Christmas kind. It's the former who have become quite aggressive the past few years, as the views of society have evolved, away from what they would prefer. They're on the Titanic, and they know it, but it just isn't their nature to admit that change may be ok, if not good. Either way, it's inevitable.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I cannot believe you would compare gays to pedophiles!
I didn't, actually. But I predicted you (or someone else) would say that with, "You (or someone) may say that pedophiles and homosexuals are not at all the same, but in the context of how society views them (or at least in the context of the 80s), you'd be dead wrong. They are exactly the same. There are many, many groups on the fringes of society or outside of society that society at large couldn't care less about."
Gays are consenting adults who do not harm anyone, much less children.
So? Society at large still couldn't care less about them, just like they don't care about pedophiles, or homeless people, or street hookers, or junkies, or like I said, many, many groups on the fringes of society. Society doesn't care about them, and in that sense, they are exactly the same.
Priests are a greater threat to children, and it's religion that protects the threat and vilifies the non threatening.
Influenza is an even greater threat to children. So are swimming pools. But that's got nothing to do with being on the fringes of society that society doesn't care about.

I don't believe that "abnormalcy" is necessarily a bad thing, as you seem to be implying.
Trust me, if I wanted to imply that abnormalcy was necessarily a bad thing, I would state it outright. But I wouldn't state it, because it's simply not true that merely by virtue of something being abnormal that it is therefore bad.

Some abnormalities can lead to genetic improvements, and if homosexuality isn't one of those, it's at least neutral.
That's easily one of the silliest and most absurd things I've ever read. By definition, a genetic improvement is one that gets passed down during reproduction. Since homosexuals are incapable of natural reproduction, a homosexual genetic improvement is a biological and physical impossibility. As for homosexuality being neutral, since the entire purpose of sex is to exchange DNA for the purpose of reproduction, the survival of and propagation of the species, as as homosexuality is anormal (goes against the type), it is not neutral at all since the purpose of homosexuality is the exact opposite of the survival of and propagation of the species.

You talk about "seething, gut wrenching hatred" in comments, but how many people have been actually attacked or killed by gays?
I don't know, but it's a lot more than you think. Off the top of my head, Aileen Wuoronos, lesbian - serial killer of at least 7, Jeffrey Dahmer, gay - killed and ate 17, Randy Steven Kraft, gay - gay "score Card Killer" killed at least 65 confirmed, Patrick Wayne Kearney and David Hill, gay lovers - killed at least 28 in and around Hollywood, John Wayne Gacy, gay - killed at least 33, mostly teenaged boys), and of course, there's Gilles de Rais, famously gay associate of Joan of Arc, killed at least 300 straight people because they were straight, and French.

But, does it really matter? Is the spewing of hate somehow OK as long as you don't attack or kill someone?

And how many gays have been attacked or killed by straights?
I don't know. Probably not at many blacks as has been attacked or killed by whites.

How many more have been made so miserable they ended their lives rather than continue? Has even one straight person done so? Yeah, I bet those comments really hurt.
You're implying that straight people have never been made so miserable that they ended their lives. Yet that's exactly why most people end their lives. Homosexuals have a higher suicide rate than do straights, and the no-brainer easy cause-and-effect is to blame it on bullying from straights. That absolves the suicidal from responsibility for their actions. The more likely reality is a mental defect that allows one to become so miserable in the first place. Transgenders receive no more verbal abuse and bullying than gays, yet transgenders have a 40 percent suicidal rate, and that's AFTER they have transitioned. Clearly, their problems aren't being born in the wrong body.

"Sadistic and vengeful retaliations of trying to destroy the lives and livelihoods of people who don't embrace homosexuality as normal and wonderful"?! Get a grip, already! Even if that were true, [and it is not], gays have a very long way to go before even making a dent in the damage done to them already.
It's quite true. I can cite many examples that will just make you mad enough to ignore them, so I won't bother. One, though, is Memories Pizza in Walkteron, IN. It's recent and should still be fresh in your memory. They cater events, but of course cannot cater each and every event they are asked to cater, so they must refuse some offers. They owners refused to cater a same-sex wedding reception. They offered to bake the couple as many pizzas as they'd like, and profive any other food for the reception, it's just they wouldn't be delivering and catering the event, someone else would have to pick up the pizzas. In other words, they would provide the food, but wouldn't actually participate in the wedding reception. Their refusal resulted in a flood of threats against the business on Yelp and Twitter, thousands (thousands, mind you, in a span of a week) of negative Yelp reviews, and threatening phone calls and e-mails and snail mail. People were outside of their home, and they were followed when they went anywhere in town. They were called homophobic. They had to close their business.

But "a long way to go before making a dent" is a Biblical eye for an eye argument, it's a two wrongs make a right argument, it's excusing inexcusable behavior because "Well he started it! Waaaa!"

They don't care if you don't embrace what they are as normal and wonderful, but they would like to be treated as you treat anyone else: as their individual behavior merits, and not according to a larger group they didn't ask to join.
They say they just want to be treated the same as anyone else, but they won't settle for anything less than their being embraced as normal. the demand approval, and those who do not approve are labeled as homophobic in the most pejorative sense of the word. That's why they fought so hard to redefine what marriage is, and why they are fighting to equate Gay Rights with Civil Rights (they want their own special set of rights to be on the same level with Civil Rights).

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Next time that happens lay on your horn and tell them to move? They'll think your crazy and move. Trust me, it works everytime.
Sure being Birmingham Alabama that can also be the easiest way to get shot and robed in the middle of the night

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
An old statement from long long ago: " Let all bitterness, wrath, anger,clamor,and evil speaking be put away from you,with all malice. And be kind to one another,tenderhearted,forgiving one another even as God in Christ forgave you"

addendum: again from an old book. " With God's help I refuse to become critical and offended by someone in leadership over me who I feel has not been fair in his or her treatment of me. I refuse to sow strife, so that I may never reap it unto myself."

If a person could or would act on the above statements, maybe, just maybe it would lower our blood pressure and agitations, IMHO.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I cannot believe you would compare gays to pedophiles! Gays are consenting adults who do not harm anyone, much less children. Priests are a greater threat to children, and it's religion that protects the threat and vilifies the non threatening.
I don't watch tv, [or think the media's selection of 'news' is much relevant - who really gives a **** about the Kardashians, anyway?!] and I don't believe that "abnormalcy" is necessarily a bad thing, as you seem to be implying. Some abnormalities can lead to genetic improvements, and if homosexuality isn't one of those, it's at least neutral.
You talk about "seething, gut wrenching hatred" in comments, but how many people have been actually attacked or killed by gays? And how many gays have been attacked or killed by straights? How many more have been made so miserable they ended their lives rather than continue? Has even one straight person done so? Yeah, I bet those comments really hurt.

I am hoping thru medical science to eradicate this birth defect, think of the diseases we've banished now small pox, polio ....or at least dwindle the numbers ..

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
I really don't understand what the problem is. No one is asking you to do anything different in your life's than you already do. It has no effect on your life what so ever. Long before we came along people have been trying to stop change and they'll still try long after were gone. We live in a progressive world. It always has been. Gays have been around for thousands of years before we stole this country from the native Americans. Who by the way never heard a dam thing about Christianity before we got here (I guess god and or Jesus didnt find it necessary to let them know what was going on) or the native south Americans either, just to name a few. Be more accepting of the change or dont, it doesn't matter. Instead of posting a four foot long response telling me how wrong I am (and I'm not) maybe some of us should look in the mirror and ask what the hell were so afraid of.

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
For those of you that never come out of your truck you might find a mirror inside a truck stop or a hotel or maybe even a house.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
10400004_903278959749597_5835353362046841967_n.jpg

Reactions: Windsor

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I'd be speaking in tongues too if a steel bar pierced the bottom of the car and pegged me right in the butt.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
For those of you that never come out of your truck you might find a mirror inside a truck stop or a hotel or maybe even a house.
I did look in that mirror, I am losing my hair, more age lines, dark spots, skin tags,more spots, sagging eye lids, sagging pants,sagging butt, knobby knees, helppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp!