Canada Ambassador Bridge De-construction?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
What risk?
He has no risk, the bridge makes money, and the money is put back into the bridge to keep it up in the air.

Under the proposals, he still would keep the bridge, it would be still operational for some reason and not neglected by the users.

I think we need to look at things a bit differently. Here is a guy who has pushed the limits, threaten the state and the country and something needs to be done to actually improve things, not let him walk over us. Because it is one of the busiest ports of entry in the country, we need to take it seriously enough to say "ok if he is going to play games, we need to find someone else to take it" and then take it from him - pay him his half of scrap value. Then build another one to replace it.

This has been done in the past, and even recently with GM and Chrysler.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't get me wrong, I don't like what he is doing, but in every business there is risk.

He should be bought out, but only at fair market value. The State of Michigan and the Provence of Ontario should go in 50/50 on it. Keep the feds OUT!!

That is just my opinion. I don't want the Federal Government to have THAT kind of power. They have NO business in Michigan.

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
Don't get me wrong, I don't like what he is doing, but in every business there is risk.

He should be bought out, but only at fair market value. The State of Michigan and the Provence of Ontario should go in 50/50 on it. Keep the feds OUT!!

That is just my opinion. I don't want the Federal Government to have THAT kind of power. They have NO business in Michigan.

Only Michigan???? C-Mon LOS At least Include Ohio Too Lol :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Problem is too...Manny owns all the land on both sides of the border...where both custom offices sit...even that land way down on Industrial Drive on the Can side...

The border (the water way) is Federal territory and ruled...isn't that why the Coast Guard patrols?

The Saint Lawrence Seaway (St. Lawrence Seaway), in French: la Voie Maritime du Saint-Laurent, is the common name for a system of locks, canals and channels that permits ocean-going vessels to travel from the Atlantic Ocean to the North American Great Lakes, as far as Lake Superior. Legally it extends from Montreal to Lake Erie, including the Welland Canal. The seaway is named after the Saint Lawrence River, which it follows from Lake Ontario to the Atlantic Ocean. This section of the seaway is not a continuous canal, but rather comprises stretches of navigable channels within the river, a number of locks, as well as canals made to bypass rapids and dams in the waterway. A number of locks are managed by the Canadian Saint Lawrence Seaway Management Corporation and a others by the U.S. Saint Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
He doesn't own all of it. He has been warned not to put up buildings on government/private property and ignored it.

It doesn't matter anyway OVM.

Nothing will be solved until they get him out of the picture, look at the Detroit train station and how he has derailed efforts of rebuilding that (pun intended).

Under US laws the court can take every inch of his land and compensate him for what it is worth based on their numbers and he can't do a thing about it. They can hand the land over to anyone else who they want to manage or buy it and again he can't do a thing about it. This issue was decided on with Kelo vs. New London by the SC and a lot of land has been taken for blight and redevelopment than ever before. Even if the state of Michigan steps in and tries to stop it, they can't because it would be done under federal courts based on federal statues.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I realize it doesn't matter...I was refuting what Joe said about the Feds...a border crossing is a Fed responsibility not Mi or Ont...the traffic problems on both side are however and the slowing down of parts does effect the money flow...so it is in all parties interest to get on with this and as you say...take his bridge....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
No not really, I'm really bored sitting at an airport waiting for a plane to arrive - being bored .... bored... yep bored.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I realize it doesn't matter...I was refuting what Joe said about the Feds...a border crossing is a Fed responsibility not Mi or Ont...the traffic problems on both side are however and the slowing down of parts does effect the money flow...so it is in all parties interest to get on with this and as you say...take his bridge....[/QUOTE

Let the Feds, both Canadian and U.S. handle customs/security etc. I don't care. They cannot run a bridge good enough. Just ask those in MN. and I35. Greg and I will run the bridge part.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Queenston/Lewiston used to be a PIA then they widened it and put in more booths and improved the flow greatly....but that one is owned by the Niagara Parks Dept. IE State They issue prepaid tokens for that bridge...if anyone wants them..

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Queenston/Lewiston used to be a PIA then they widened it and put in more booths and improved the flow greatly....but that one is owned by the Niagara Parks Dept. IE State They issue prepaid tokens for that bridge...if anyone wants them..

That is more like it should be. The customs etc is Federal the rest either private or State owned. Keep the feds in their cages.

Scottrucks

Seasoned Expediter
Next step taken, MI passed the go ahead for the NEW span, now it has to go to the next level for their approval and then hopefully land on the Governor's desk for approval?
We will see what happens...:confused:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Let the Feds, both Canadian and U.S. handle customs/security etc. I don't care. They cannot run a bridge good enough. Just ask those in MN. and I35.

The I-35W bridge was built and allegedly maintained by the State of Minnesota.

Greg and I will run the bridge part.
The Greg and Joe Bridge? Probably want to exclude "Layout Shooter" from the name for obvious reasons.

Reminds me of the old St. Francisville toll bridge across the Des Moines River at the Missouri/Iowa state line. The bridge provided a short cut from U.S. 218 to U.S. 61. Cool little old wooden toll booth and Mom & Pop store on the Missouri side.
My very first expedite load took me across this bridge.
St. Francisville Bridge Historic Des Moines River Lee County, Iowa and Clark County, Missouri St. Francisville Truss MO-B and Belfast Road

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You could have 6 bridges....it would not matter..there'd still be a cluster duck there...as long as there is the human factor....those DHS and Can Cust. could make 5 trucks into a back up...If you've spent ebough time on that bridge you'd see what I mean.....line up gets shorter...close a booth...:eek:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know it is all about the money, not solving the problems.

If Michigan pushes for a new bridge, then they will get more federal funding. This means that the area around the bridge will also be taken care of by the feds, the roads and infrastructure.

The real interesting thing is that many are sold on the congestion issue but they never traveled into or out of Canada.

If you ever driven in other areas with newly constructed interchanges, for example Dayton and I75/I70, you see on the walls pictures of planes and so on. When they rebuild the Canadian bridge area, they didn't put cars on the walls or anything like that just some stupid pattern that seems to be too generic - no pride in the area or the state.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No use making it look good, the "gang bangers" will have it messed up before the cement dries. Detroit residents don't take much pride in their town themselves. Too bad. :(