Aluminum Cleaners?????

Kat123

Seasoned Expediter
Ok another question for everyone. Need to know what product that anyone uses for cleaning/polishing aluminum side boxes to keep them looking like new that really works and where they can be purchased. I know some products advertise to do the job, but end results are poor at best. So who's used what and how did it work?

Thanks Kat

48ST8s

Seasoned Expediter
Nevr-Dull. My husband has used this product for years and it works great for us. It can be found at WalMart and Home Depot. Visit the link below for more info...

What

slc634

Seasoned Expediter
Try a product called Maas or Semichrome both are available at Home Depot or Lowes. They both work great and protect as well as shine up nice.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Bob Caffee will have a product he endorses and from seeing his truck I can confirm that whatever his choice is it works.

Kat123

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks to everyone that replied. I'll try a few of the products listed and at some point let you all know what I think works best for me. Maybe by that time if Bob Caffee sees this he may reply as to what he uses.

Thanks again

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I like to use Wicked Metal Polish available at the Flying J. On flat surfaces like the side boxes in order to keep finger marks off the polished surface use something flat you can hang on to and still keep your polish cloth on. I have started using a sanding block covered with terry cloth, I put the polish on the cloth and then use a lot of elbow grease. Let the polish dry completely before you wipe it off.
If the boxes are all ready really bad you will need to get a power buffer and polish wheels available at TA's. Usually after a hard winter to get the truck back up to the shine I like I get out the buffer and the polish wheels and start my summer's shining that way. Through out winter we get the truck washed often to keep the salt off and when ever possible I get out and polish.

If you have aluminum that is not all ready polished such as box side rails and corners the buffer will allow you to get these looking really good in a short period of time. I also always wear my safety glasses when I am buffering because you will get dirty!

One of the things I really enjoy about keeping the truck looking good is I also am always inspecting the truck looking for any problems.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I make my own;green jewlers rouge,and mineral spirits.you take a potato grader,make powder out of the jewlers rouge,put into a bottle,then mix in the mineral spirits.you can have a alluminum pollish,easy on easy off,will bring to mirror shine.for what you pay for a bottle in store,you can have enough to sell to all those rookies,and your will be free.At 20 bucks a bottle,big profits

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
into a 20 oz coke bottle,1/3rd powder from jewlers rouge,rest mineral spirits,shake well before useing,easy on very easy off

tblount

Seasoned Expediter
Simple Vinegar... 30 cents a quart at Walmart. You may need a little soap and water to get caked on dirt off first. Use the 4x6 scowering pads... about 10 for a dollar.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We have had the best luck with Nightcreachers recipe.
We do make a slight change to it. We cut a good dose of RainX into the mineral spirits before adding.
This makes the polish job last longer.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
[ Duragloss makes a paste that goes on/off with ease just like all the car polish products.

On Treadplate, its a XYZ... no doubt, but one needs to use a Polisher, otherwise the results are so so with anythiing you use, unless you do it all of the time than it can be kept up with by hand and using alot of towels in the mean time.

With dull life luster boxes or rims, I also use this on the alum on the trailer, take a mixture of Alum Brightner available at either a detail shop or Janirotial Supplier, mix 10 parts water 1 part brightner. This will break down the metal and prepare it to be brought back to life. Otherwise you will be buffing and buffing and buffing. You will understand if you do not use this process what I am talking about. This brightner will make the wheels look terrible but 10-times better after they are polished back.

One gallon of Brightner about $15 one can of Polish $12. Caution on using the Brighner, rinse IMM..... I use a brush in one hand my daughter with a hose. Boy she loves helping Dad to this also. Bonding thing you know. Serious just rinse ASAP and NEVER USE IT IN THE DIRECT SUN move the vehicle around if its sunny, cooler the better.

Duragloss Google it, its made in Durham N.C. only products used on any of my vehicles except for Claybar. PS I detail vehicles on the side cause I like to and I like the $ as well.