Alternative to Rig Master

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am looking at the cab climate control add-on to my Detroit Diesel engine as an alternative to gettting a genset, as my truck is really too front heavy already, and I don't stay out for super long periods. I was wondering if anyone else out with Detroit power has this setup, and how well it actually works. Covenant Transport and a few other big companies have equipped their tractors with this. The add-on is only $800.00 and starts and stops the engine automatically to maintain cab temp. A little dash mount device is used to adjust the temp. Worth the extra bucks or should I just get a thicker sleeping bag this winter? I hate idling for too many hours, and would actually need to finance the $7 grand for a genset. Plus I don't want to deal with the extra maintenance a genset requires, and kind of hate the reefer/lawnmower sound they make. (That Perkins diesel in the Rigmaster is a popular reefer engine, hense that buzzy sound.)
Does anyone know if the Detroit CCC works good, or do I have to be the expediter test rat?
-Weave-

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Weave,

Have you ever considered getting one of those bunk warmers? I have never used one but apparently they work. I guess they have been around for decades. They wouldn't help keep your block warm but it would make it more comfortable to sleep.

I myself have to idle the engine, as much as I hate it. Mike has a condition called sleep aphena (he quits breathing while he sleeps) and has to wear an electronic device to keep him breathing. And if we didn't idle it would kill the battery by moring. :(

I hear those heaters are less than $100. Maybe something to check out.

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The bed warmer isn't bad in the fall but will kill the battery after awhile. I used it when there was a chill and didn't run the truck. I would go with the opti idle if you didn't want a gen set. When I was over the road with swift transport, they had this in all there rigs. You have to get used to the truck firing up on its own at night but you will get used to it. Good luck.
Randy:)

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
there is two ways to go one is put extra battery on the truck
a marine battery to run one of those engine heaters a webaso
they heat the truck and bunk to
also with extra battery you put a switch to have starting battery
and other items as you won't run the bartterys down and not be able to start the truck and go on a run

this is a joke make friends with someone that has a genset and
plug your truck in with your ext cord to your block heater

what i like the most is my proheat, you may lease them and end buy them for a $1.00

i have had one now for 6 years and have saved over 12,000 dollar in fuel and 4,000 in maintance cost so in 12 month you will get a return
on your money

and if you run new york and new england there starting to crack down
in places

for pro heat ice call bill moore at tsi 800 388 3850
and he will asstance you in this matter

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
In the winter I use the Catalytic Heater that our Canadian friend Jim Bunting discussed about 2 years ago.You can buy them at K Mart/Walmat for about $45.00.One small bottle of propane lasts about 8-10 hours.They are designed for indoor use and other then a a flame used to ignite the heater there is no carbon monoxide generated.I do crack a window about 1/4 of an inch but have never had the detector go off. The only drawback is that you can!t regulate the heat,sometimes it can get too warm.
I was talking to a Covenat guy once who had the start/stop device on his truck.He said it drove him crazy and would wake him up constantly, as the truck would shake with the engine coming on and off.
By the way thanks for the transmission advice,turned out to be the "Ball and shaft" plus assorted springs and the top housing,while it was out I had the clutch replaced, nice bill of $1700 plus change. I would really prefer about a 5-6KW generator but am too tight to spend the bucks.

truckercop

Expert Expediter
Hello Weave:

Did you ever make a decision on the Optimized Idle vs. generator? I am curious, as I am in the same position and would like to hear your input. I contacted Freightliner, many Century Class / Columbia's already have it installed. Apparently it is not obvious as you use the existing switches moved in a special series to operate it (not too familiar with it).

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I decided against it figuring it will just wake me up every time the truck restarts. I have just been sticking to idling when I need to.
-Weave-

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Weave,
I recently looked into getting an Espar bunk heater for my Sprinter. I spoke to Dave Bedell at Williams Carrier in Richfield,Oh. He told me that for the cubic feet of interior space in the Sprinter I would need an AT3500,which sells for $1,800 installed. For most straight truck bunks you could get away with using an AT2000,which sells for about $1,100 installed. It uses about 1 gallon in 24 hours of continuous useage. Electrical drain is minimal.
Check out www.espar.com for details.
Call Dave Bedell at Williams Carrier for purchase and instillation information. (800)331-4556 or (330)659-3084.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I had a rigmaster on previous truck and worked pretty well except for finding parts. Currently have a gen from jacksonville which runs a kabota engine. It works real well and easy to service and find parts. Probably as cost effecient as the other items in winter however none of the others will do you any good in the summer. A/C is a premium if you are in AZ and its 110. I have a 5kw but they make a 3.5 also. My truck is pretty quiet with it on, and if weight is a issue, install it farther back on the frame rails to keep the weight off the front.

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have the rigmaster and enjoy it a lot. It gives you heating and cooling, electrical capabilities in the cab, and a separate electrical supply for block heater, and trickle charge for the batteries. It uses 1 liter of fuel per hour.

If you ever decide to get a rigmaster, you can save quite a bit of money by buying it in Canada. The exchange rate is favorable, you can get your PST and GST tax money back from Canada. I got mine from Brad MacDonald, who is located about 1 hour north of Toronto. He was more than $1,000 cheaper than any other Canadian dealer I contacted.

thumper59

Expert Expediter
thumper59
I have encountered the problem of cabheaters I talked to the guys in canada and they told me to invest in a ESPAR BUNKHEATER. So I did,I have the 2000 model cost 900.00 plus 360.00 instillation kit,It is small about 6lbs runs off the diesel from the truck,1 gallon every 24 hrs.low draw from batterys,It works very good It will keep the cab at 85 degrees on the low setting,sometimes it gets so hot i have to shut it off,I personally think that this was the best buy yet dollar for dollar check it out.also you can get the generator at any lowes for 400.00 dollars,it is a good thing to have also in cold weather.
look at the heater this way,idle my truck for 20 hrs,1 gal a hr 20 gal x 1.50 gal= $30.00,I get 8 miles to gal =160 mile- 2 gal espar uses i just saved $27.00 and stayed warm multiple this for a winter and you see that it will pay for itself in 1-2 winters or at 1.79 a gal in new england it is worth it check it out}> }> }> }>

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Weave
I very, very seldom idle. The only exception is the very hot, dog
days of summer, high noon sleepy time. I use one of those 12 volt,
plug in, sleep on bunk warmers bill mentioned. Have kept warm to 17
below. Only problem then is, it's touch and go get'in the truck started when that cold. However, when it's just chilly to pretty damn
cold that pad is just about as good as snuggling up to mama. Had mine
4-5 years now. Believe it cost about fifty bucks.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
HI Thumper 59,
How cubic feet of area are in your truck?
I have a Freightliner Sprinter which has about a 600 cubic feet area to heat. I spoke to an Espar dealer who told me I would need the AT3500 model which is about $700 more expensive than your At2000.
I would like to hear your opinion if you think the At2000 would do the trick.
Thanks,