all things under the water

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I am a PADI DiveMaster and it goes without saying i LOVE to dive. I have dove many lakes and some ocean diving also. Belize Hawaii Murtle Beach Panama city. I have some cool video on my myspace page from my Hawaii dive. MySpace.com - Ken - 47 - Male - - www.myspace.com/scubadriver check it out. I use a Sherwood Avid bc Dui Dry suite I have tha Atmos elete computer along with the Sherwood Wisdom dive computer. My mask is a full face called the Neptune with the communications unit so when i dive with my son's we can talk to eachother while diving. Aries Volos fins. Underwater video camera. I used it for the cideo i shot in Hawaii thats on my myspace page and a still cam. i would lie to hear from other drivers that are divers. Who knows maybe we can get a group together to take a dive trip some time.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Nice activety ya got here Scuba,,nice photos I dont have time to check em all out right now as I am sitting across street from my P/up in bout ten mins..Cant really surf the net at the house with my rain soaked dial-up so Ill get back into your photo album next chance I get out here in the truck..Looks like ya got some nice camera equipt also....

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Solo thanks for the nice words about my photos, Moose i used to carry all of my gear including my nitrox tank but now that I got a new truck i don't really have the room but you have me thinking that i don't really need the passenger seat lol. I checked out the lake you posted but less than 5% of divers own a dry suit and since it's not a good idea to dive solo I normally just try to hook up with a dive shop in the area i am in and tag along so i don't get a lot of dry suit diving in. Mermitt Springs Il has a cool lake to dive in they have the 727 from the movie US Marshals and they have a bus swim through also several dive platforms petting zoo sits in about 25 feet of water a boat to practice boat entry and a few other things planes etc sitting at different depths. The quarry is 100 feet and a lot of dive shops use it for open water and other training. So it’s a real fun lake oops almost forgot they have some huge spoon bills several feet long which is great to run across during a night dive. Ok **** you moose now I have to pull my passenger seat out when I go home in May lmao.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I used to scuba dive years ago. I had a Naui(sp?) certification. I would not dive now without taking another class, I would not feel safe, it has been too long since I dove. :( I used to really enjoy it. Maybe someday I will have some time and scuba can "learn me how" again!! :D Layoutshooter

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
I enjoyed watching your videos and seeing the fish and coral. The underwater world is beautiful. I'm not sure I could handle diving. I went on a cruise once and went snorkeling in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. I tried and tried to master it, but I wasn't able to until I put on a life jacket first. Then I was able to put my face in the water and breathe through the snorkel tube. lol. It's a very "unnatural" thing to get your body to do!

I had a disposable, supposedly water-proof camera but it leaked so my pictures didn't turn out too well. I had fun once I had that life jacket on, but I don't think a life jacket would work too well on an underwater dive! lol

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I used to scuba dive years ago. I had a Naui(sp?) certification. I would not dive now without taking another class, I would not feel safe, it has been too long since I dove. :( I used to really enjoy it. Maybe someday I will have some time and scuba can "learn me how" again!! :D Layoutshooter

As log as you have your "C" card yes i can cover what an instructor already taught you. I just can't go further that whats been taught. The "C" card never expires by the way it is valid as long as your alive. I am also a Discover Scuba Instructor which is a ryder to my DiveMaster.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I enjoyed watching your videos and seeing the fish and coral. The underwater world is beautiful. I'm not sure I could handle diving. I went on a cruise once and went snorkeling in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. I tried and tried to master it, but I wasn't able to until I put on a life jacket first. Then I was able to put my face in the water and breathe through the snorkel tube. lol. It's a very "unnatural" thing to get your body to do!

I had a disposable, supposedly water-proof camera but it leaked so my pictures didn't turn out too well. I had fun once I had that life jacket on, but I don't think a life jacket would work too well on an underwater dive! lol

Believe it or not but that is the number 1 issue with Women divers. PAT PAT PAT << patting myself on the back because I never had a woman that had that problem ever not finish the course. They have all gone on to be great divers. Women are the safest divers because they take fewer chances while diving. This would/could be covered in an Discover Scuba class which I do not charge anything for the class never have never will. And for those that think you must be a great swimmer to be a diver they have nothing in common I have dove with people that can’t swim for crap

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I saw the title of the thread and thought "what, my basement?"

seriously I am trying to convince my wife to try it, she is afraid of swimming and everything water but it would be great for both of us to learn.....

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
It would be great if those that want to try it could all get a weekend at someone’s place that has a pool this summer. I would come in and do a discover scuba class with those of you that would like to try it before spending a bunch of money on it. As for taking the classes for a "C" card PADI offers the best deal you can sign up for a class get your books read everything and take the tests after each chapter this way you go to a dive center on a Friday for the book work going over the tests and asking questions then sat and Sunday taking the skills part of the school then on your next weekend home you take your open water for two days. I started as a NAUI diver then switched to PADI one reason if you ever go on a dive trip and forget your "C" card PADI is the only one that has an online database where a PADI dive shop can pull up your records and you get to dive. If you have an ssi or naui card and you forget it you would have to take a “resort course” which is pricey at best. I just offer that info for you to digest take it for what it is.
NAUI Certs
Open water Advanced Rescue first aid boat nitrox underwater nav Master Diver
PADI certs
Same as above along with EFR instructor deep peak performance buoyancy Dive Master with discover scuba ryder

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Scuba..
I know there are laws governing watercraft in areas where you folks are playing,,as someone who has a small boat I honeslty aint up on those laws..
Maybe ya can post something as how ya mark the area and restrictions on boaters when ya are in the water..Just kinda of reminder for ppl with the season coming....Once in awhile I like to go fast:D

God I hate my dial-up...Ill proplely get a load and drop it by time this posts:mad:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I do still have my card, I can't tell you if it is a "C" card. I do know that it was good for life. I took my classes down in Homestead FL, back in 1973. My open water dive turned into a lobster dive as soon as we all checked out. The next day we went and dove Pennykamp.(sp?) Layoutshooter

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Believe it or not but that is the number 1 issue with Women divers. PAT PAT PAT << patting myself on the back because I never had a woman that had that problem ever not finish the course. They have all gone on to be great divers. Women are the safest divers because they take fewer chances while diving. This would/could be covered in an Discover Scuba class which I do not charge anything for the class never have never will. And for those that think you must be a great swimmer to be a diver they have nothing in common I have dove with people that can’t swim for crap

Congrats on that! I'm sure you are a very good instructor then. :)

I used to be a strong swimmer. I took many years of swim instruction through the YMCA growing up, and as a teenager I had gotten my Jr. Lifesaving certification through the Red Cross but my Mom wouldn't pay for me to finish lifeguard training. :( I never finished it on my own because marriage and kids kind of got in the way. However, now that I'm *much* older, I don't try to fool myself into thinking I am as strong at swimming as I was in my teens and 20's. lol

Still, a discover scuba class might be fun to just "try it out" once to see if it was something I could do. :)

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Scuba..
I know there are laws governing watercraft in areas where you folks are playing,,as someone who has a small boat I honeslty aint up on those laws..
Maybe ya can post something as how ya mark the area and restrictions on boaters when ya are in the water..Just kinda of reminder for ppl with the season coming....Once in awhile I like to go fast:D

God I hate my dial-up...Ill proplely get a load and drop it by time this posts:mad:

The LAWS vary from State to State in Arkansas if you are diving no flag is required but if you are spear fishing then you must fly a diver down flag but one Law that travels from State to State is if the diver down. Flag is flying no water craft may come closer than 100 feet from the flag. When I am exploring ill tie the flag to my bc so it travel with me 90% < my number of boaters don’t know to stay away those idiots on wave runners have been known to use the flag as a toy since most of the time the flag is fixed in one location and they race to it. Just a note sound travels without direction under water, meaning a diver cannot tell what direction a boat is coming from all we hear is the prop or jet depending on the type of drive unit it has. It can be scary when you hear the boat and it’s loud unless you are deep getting into and out of the water is one of the most dangerous parts of the dive

Last edited:

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Here are the two types of diver down flags
Red and White US White and Blue international

Attachments

• diverdown.jpg
    diverdown.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 0
  • international diver down.jpg
    international diver down.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

m2106dunit

Seasoned Expediter
You have a great website Ken! I started diving 6 years ago. I used to dive the quarries of Ohio and Lake Erie, but that's too cold for me anymore. I've made about 175 dives, mostly on liveaboards in the Bahamas where it's nice and warm.

My wife got certified two years ago and she's made about 30 dives so far.

Ever dive Bonne Terre, south of St. Louis? It's a flooded mine and pretty cool.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
No i havent but i want to with the dry suite it would be a great dive. Thats great that your wife got certified also it's always better to dive with family. It would be cool if a group of us could get together for a weekend dive. Ever dive Mermitt springs? that 727 is cool to dive. When i dove it i was in a dry with my full face mask so a buddy laied on the bottom and i dropped out of the wheel well and it looked like i did a halo jump lol

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I would love to get a group together for Bonair sfter the busy season. A buddy of mine goes there quite often and says it's the best small critter diving lots of sea horses stuff like that. A great location for still cams. No worrys about getting sea sick you walk to the end of the dock and drop in right in on the reef.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Just a side note for you people with ear problems my youngest son had a mastoidclestiatoma < not sure of the spelling. The infection ate his ear drum all of his inner ear bones the mastoid gland. You can look into his ear and see all the way to the back of his head from the inside. Cool huh lol not. Even his balance bone was exposed to outside air but he got lucky he had scar tissue form around the balance bone so the air and water doesn’t get to it now. He dives with me he is certified Advanced and has been down to 110 feet with me. So don’t think that just because you have an ear problem that you can’t dive. You very well may be able to dive only your DR could tell you if it is possible.