All purpose propane

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I understand that propane can power refrigerators and air conditioners in addition to heaters. If propane makes sense to use for heat in a van, why not use it to power all three?

A guy I know raised his bed and put a fridge underneath. So why not do that and have the fridge, 2 tanks, and either the heater or AC unit under there, as seasonally appropriate? You might still have room for a shower bag or a duffel. You could keep the tanks by the side door to take them out to be refilled.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I understand that propane can power refrigerators and air conditioners in addition to heaters. If propane makes sense to use for heat in a van, why not use it to power all three?

A guy I know raised his bed and put a fridge underneath. So why not do that and have the fridge, 2 tanks, and either the heater or AC unit under there, as seasonally appropriate? You might still have room for a shower bag or a duffel. You could keep the tanks by the side door to take them out to be refilled.

--

Do anything ya want...but you'll be hounded by the safety dogs in here..:rolleyes:.
you'd have to make sure whatever you have hooked up is protected from getting whacked by your load and ripping out aline tho...

greg334

Veteran Expediter

OK first understand that heat powered (not just propane) fridges have been around for more than a century, I have one in storage made by GM (out of GM building in Detroit) that is gas powered (natural gas). It still works, was serviced last in 1948 and it is all oak - pretty cool. It works off of the absorption cooling system which is still used in commercial buildings for A/C. The problem with it is a lot of systems use ammonia and prone to leak if moved too much. In a van, I can see 700 lbs of equipment being added to put a fridge in it, can you.

A/C version of it is HUGE, if you ever deliver to a large building and get to go into the maintaince department, ask them to show you the cooling towers and absorption generators.

I can see you putting in 1000 lbs worth of equipment to cool your van down, can't you?

Fridges that are the most efficient use swing compressors and you can't beat them. Mine runs at 3 amps and is cold all the time, even makes ice.

You try it and tell us how it is.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Better yet use propane to power all four! Convert your van engine over to propane. Become a regular alternative energy freak. It could even lead to an alternative life style.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Do anything ya want...but you'll be hounded by the safety dogs in here..:rolleyes:.
you'd have to make sure whatever you have hooked up is protected from getting whacked by your load and ripping out aline tho...

Without question, part of the bed setup would include some sort of barrier between the bed and the freight.

--

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Better yet use propane to power all four! Convert your van engine over to propane. Become a regular alternative energy freak. It could even lead to an alternative life style.

...and then, like an Espar, just run a fuel line off the main tank to power the other equipment... sounds hideously expensive, but an interesting concept.

--

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
...and then, like an Espar, just run a fuel line off the main tank to power the other equipment... sounds hideously expensive, but an interesting concept.

--

Here in Ontario I think it's around 5k for a propane conversion on a V8. Govt throws in a 2k rebate as well as I think the sales tax is waived. Even using 20% more propane than gas makes it tempting for someone on a regular delivery route. Propane is usually 40-50% cheaper than gas. YMMV.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Here in Ontario I think it's around 5k for a propane conversion on a V8. Govt throws in a 2k rebate as well as I think the sales tax is waived. Even using 20% more propane than gas makes it tempting for someone on a regular delivery route. Propane is usually 40-50% cheaper than gas. YMMV.

In the usa the conversion has to be EPA certified. you can do it as schwans has 6.0 gm's and some ford engine converted.

Then you gotta worry about fueling and range. I doubt anyone would sign a van that has to stop every 200 miles for fuel.

Now. if you could run dual fuel.. then you likely could double your range..

But you still gotta stop to pee... or do you? ;)

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In the usa the conversion has to be EPA certified. you can do it as schwans has 6.0 gm's and some ford engine converted.

Then you gotta worry about fueling and range. I doubt anyone would sign a van that has to stop every 200 miles for fuel.

Same here as far as govt approval. I agree it's more suited to shorter or scheduled runs although you can get a big tank mounted too.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Last edited:

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I'm thinking propane is cheaper because there is no road tax charged on it just sales tax, if more people converted to it, what do you think is going to happen,???????????
right road taxs, a few years ago when Willie Nelson got busted down in alabama or Mississippi, I for get which state, it was because the clever dot officer realized that he wasn't paying road taxes or ifta on his bio-fuel, a bonus was that he got busted for pot at the same time. I never heard the outcome of that, but will look into it. Just give it a little more time, they'll tax us all to our deaths.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
I'm thinking propane is cheaper because there is no road tax charged on it just sales tax, if more people converted to it, what do you think is going to happen,???????????
right road taxs, a few years ago when Willie Nelson got busted down in alabama or Mississippi, I for get which state, it was because the clever dot officer realized that he wasn't paying road taxes or ifta on his bio-fuel, a bonus was that he got busted for pot at the same time. I never heard the outcome of that, but will look into it. Just give it a little more time, they'll tax us all to our deaths.

Most truck stop/gas stations have two prices for propane. Road use/off road use.

If you can't prove the tax has been paid I'd bet the fine would be the same as running red fuel in a diesel.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think a lot get the propane and cng mixed up.

As for taxes, my cng powered 1995 ford didn't have to deal with on road off road issues.

The same goes for my propane setup on my dodge, I fill it at uhaul and never been asked if it is for heat or if it is for 'go fast'.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Granted.. This is from Texas, however, the federal tax would still apply to your trucks in MI..

While your not being charged a road tax when you fuel the trucks. You are responsible to pay all applicable road taxes (federal and state if your state taxes propane for road use)

http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/programs/save55cents.pdf

be sure to claim the 50 cent federal excise tax credit. you will likely be money ahead ;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

I run propane in my cabs for years....the range is the same as gas....gallon for gallon....had a 25 gallon tank in the trunk of my old Ford Crown Vic....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
text2391_1.png

Texas Catheter

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I can remember when I used to do regional courier work in Ontario in the early 90's, a few of the underground deliveries in some of the big office towers in the Toronto area would not allow propane powered vehicles.

If there is a leak, propane pools more and does not dissipate as fast as natural gas so I'm told, and that may have had something to do with it.

Has anyone come across any other places in their travels where no propane or natural gas powered vehicles were allowed at the shipper/consignee?