Algae and Bacteria in Fuel

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Any one else having a problem with their fuel. My filters were loaded after 3000 mi.
For the first time I have to use a fungicide to fight it.
I`m using Solopower at $28 for 16 oz.
Switching where I buy fuel as well.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pick up a few cans of Diesel Purge and run it full strength through the new fuel filter or fuel line draft or low side. T also run Howes year round to deal with water content of the fuel. Also use annother fuel station untill you know for certain they have adressed the fuel issue.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
I Had that happen once when I bought fuel at the flying j in Fargo, as a rule I wont buy fuel while the tanker is filling the ground tanks but apparently someone just before me filled up while the tanker was unloading which filled the lines with crap from the tanks to the pump...then here I come and pump all that algae and water right into my tank....made it to Mc Cloud, mn. where the truck died.

I had to have the tanks drained and the fuel filters changed plus all the fuel lines blown out, not to mention the wrecker service...all together around $1200.00 to get up and running.

It being 24 below zero didn't help either.

I wont buy fuel at little independent stations either because they don't sell enough fuel to be able to keep fresh fuel in the ground nor will I fuel at Flying j either because they just blew me off saying it was a maintenance issue on my part regardless if the truck had only 5k on it.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I switched to Howe's I never had another fuel issue of any sort. Prior to that I'd had a gelling issue in the cold but luckily no algae problems.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I didn't mention the fuel source because the fact that the truck sat a lot over the holidays.
Thanks for the tips?

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I didn't mention the fuel source because the fact that the truck sat a lot over the holidays.
Thanks for the tips?

Sitting for that short of time wouldnt (shouldnt) cause your fuel to go bad in such a short time.
Someone sold you a slug of bad fuel somewhere along the line and its just catching up to you now.
When was the last time your drained the bottom of your tanks?
I wouldnt fight it any longer..I would run the fuel down,, drain off and flush the tanks and system and start fresh at this point. For the cost of a few gallons of fuel it is better then getting stuck with a roadside service call.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
that why i use ace's II to treat my fuel takes care of water in fuel good to 19 below if you need it tobe lower can be made for that
also treat's algae and bacteria in
send a pm tell you more

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
preventing algae and buying crappy fuel with algae in it are two different things or at least in my opinion.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the tips?

The University of Idaho conducted tests on the life expectancy of fuels to determine the time line of degradation of stored #2 diesel fuel. The results indicated 26% degradation after 28 days

You did take a long holiday didnt you...:D

Here is a little reading on fuel that maybe of interest to some. Articles and ads like this one are reasons I am not big on additives..Yes I use them from time to time mostly to attempt to run any water out of the system. I feel by draining the bottom of the tank does more good then anything you can add to the tank especially after trouble starts. We call it Algae when we see it forming in our fuel filters and bowls but its not,its more of a collection of dirt and broken down fuel.

Frequently Asked Questions About Diesel Fuel Problems

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We have been trouble free for several years but we did have issues at two different times several years ago with water in the tanks. In both instances with two differernt truck at two different locations but the same vendor. Pilot in Florence,SC and the other was a Pilot in Toledo, OH

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We call it Algae when we see it forming in our fuel filters and bowls but its not,its more of a collection of dirt and broken down fuel.
Exactly, and what many call gelling is actually waxing, since diesel contains paraffins.

Does anybody run fuel/water separators on their trucks? Just about every fleet truck I ever drove had a fuel/water separator. Some were heated. Once a day drain off the water and a little bit of fuel. Same with air tanks. I don't recall ever having a fuel problem due to waxing, but plenty of frozen airlines, even with air dryers.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
2003 DT466E 330,000 MI original injectors average life expectantcy 250,000 miles.
Howes Year round, new filter and 1 qt of Diesel purge every 25-30,000 in the fuel filter
Enough said.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Exactly, and what many call gelling is actually waxing, since diesel contains paraffins.

Does anybody run fuel/water separators on their trucks? Just about every fleet truck I ever drove had a fuel/water separator. Some were heated. Once a day drain off the water and a little bit of fuel. Same with air tanks. I don't recall ever having a fuel problem due to waxing, but plenty of frozen airlines, even with air dryers.

Fuel freezing is more prevalent today because the fuel blends are different. Especially states like IL that cut the fuel with bio-diesel which has a high freeze/waxing point. Can still be ran but requires more additive to keep it from freezing in extreme temperatures.
Case in point. A Peterbilt dealer in WI invested a million dollars in tow equipment because trucks filling in Hempshire, IL would freeze up close to his location. Certainly a case of regulations providing jobs in another state.

Last edited:

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
You can use an algaecide to kill the algae, but it does not remove the sediment, that is several filters after an issue. I would check for fresh fuel filters at the diesel pumps, and a large volume of fuel being sold. Stations that have rusted fuel filters because they haven't been changed in forever are red flags. It also doesn't hurt to pump fuel into a clear jug and let it settle to view sediment/water prior to introducing it to your tanks. It takes a few minutes, but it sure beats a wrecker bill.

Scott

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Case in point. A Peterbilt dealer in WI invested a million dollars in tow equipment because trucks filling in Hempshire, IL would freeze up close to his location.
Far out man! I like used to call the place The Shire. Like in the Hobbit book, ya know? Wow, I think I'll head to the TA in Hempshire, man, uh, no, like Weedville, doood.