Alabama Blitzing phones and drivers I-65

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I use the blue tooth in the radio of my truck.The phone has the bluetooth icon up,and if im not in the truck, to the truck,without being able to listen to the radio,wont be able to hear my phone.This would be pretty easy to prove,as long as the officer would let me try to use the phone,but if not,then it might be almost impossible to say you were on hands free.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I use the blue tooth in the radio of my truck.The phone has the bluetooth icon up,and if im not in the truck, to the truck,without being able to listen to the radio,wont be able to hear my phone.This would be pretty easy to prove,as long as the officer would let me try to use the phone,but if not,then it might be almost impossible to say you were on hands free.

Isn't it odd that we've been conditioned to think of what we] have to prove, and how? Thought they were the ones with something to prove. We've really gone downhill, fast.

--

You know the problem with bad cops? They make the other 5% look bad.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Watch it in Florida too. A friend of my husband crossed a scale on I-75 and was stopped. The DOT officer asked to see his cell phone. He was checking for any recent calls. He didn't have any, but he told the officer he always uses his bluetooth, which he was wearing at the time. The officer said it didn't matter. If he had any recent calls he could be ticketed and would have to prove in court that he was using his bluetooth at the time of the call. If he couldn't...well...I think we know how that trip to court would turn out. Even when you abide by the law they will still find a way to get your last dollar.

I am not American but can't one take the 5th on this?...wouldn't you be incriminating yourself? where is probable cause?

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I am not American but can't one take the 5th on this?...wouldn't you be incriminating yourself? where is probable cause?

I think their reasoning is that it's a citation for an infection, not a criminal offense. But, as I posted before on the right to remain silent at border checkpoints when re-entering the country, SCOTUS has ruled that the right to remain silent applies ANY TIME any penalty may be applied.

And that's in addition to what they're doing to the presumption of innocence, assuming you were using the phone instead of your co-driver, and assuming you weren't using Bluetooth when they have no basis to do so, and can't make such an assumption in the first place.

--

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
**** auto-correct. That's INFRACTION, not infection.

--

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think their reasoning is that it's a citation for an infection, not a criminal offense. But, as I posted before on the right to remain silent at border checkpoints when re-entering the country, SCOTUS has ruled that the right to remain silent applies ANY TIME any penalty may be applied.

And that's in addition to what they're doing to the presumption of innocence, assuming you were using the phone instead of your co-driver, and assuming you weren't using Bluetooth when they have no basis to do so, and can't make such an assumption in the first place.

--

Well...besides the handing over of your phone which might incriminate you and you refuse...and they seize your phone....don't they need probable cause and a warrant to seize your property?

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Well...besides the handing over of your phone which might incriminate you and you refuse...and they seize your phone....don't they need probable cause and a warrant to seize your property?

Yes, but that doesn't mean it happens that way. Our government stopped acting legally, morally, and/or ethically almost immediately after they replaced the Brits.

--

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As I said in another post, nothing more than a revenue enhancement program.

What you said in another thread, and I quote "Re: You have been heard
Hasn't been a problem since they invented the car. Way too many things for government to worry about, and this isn't one of them."

opppppsss. wrong on that one dave....... backstroke time:D

Monty

Expert Expediter
I would imagine Landstar will hold van drivers to the same standards as the bigger boy's. Even though we would not "technically" be required to comply with Fed rules.

I have always used a hands free, it is just so much simpler and my arm gets tired holding the thing to my head anyway!

Have any of you tried the Cobra CB with the bluetooth built in?