Airtabs on a van?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Airtabs have been discussed in previous EO threads and I have seen them on a few straight trucks and tractors. The airtab is a small, triangular shaped, plastic, self adhering item that is fastened to the rear edge of a vehicle. http://www.airtab.com/ describes them as follows:

"Airtabsâ„¢ are unique, Vortex Generators (VG) that have been specially designed for trucks. They work by creating a controlled swirl of air, or vortex which actually reduces wind resistance (or aerodynamic drag).Aerodynamic drag has long been a target for fuel economy on trucks."

My 2006 Chevrolet 3500 has gotten 17.9 miles per gallon during 3975 miles of a combination of highway, city, loaded, and empty miles recorded earlier this year. During the middle of May, I installed 34 airtabs on the rear of my van. I did so out of curiosity to determine if they were of value on a typical van.

My test period, which ended on June 1, occured over 3176 miles where I used 168.834 gallons of fuel for an average MPG of 18.81. My driving style and combination of driving conditions were comparable during my before and after airtab test. Needless to say, I'm very pleased with the performance of these little plastic triangles. In addition to a 5% increase in mileage, I get a greatly reduced dirt buildup on the rear of the van. I also had better visibility, during rain, in the door mounted rearview mirrors because the modified airflow diminished the air turbulance behind the van.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
It would really be nice if you could post a picture so we could see exactly how you applied the AirTabs.

Very interesting on how the AirTabs inceased the fuel milage on a van.

Packmule

Expert Expediter
I wouldn't leave home without them!!!

Much better stability in wind and passing big trucks!
Clean rear doors!
Better rear visability in heavy rain!
Slight MPG improvement.

Danny

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
I wonder if these air tabs would improve the stability of my sprinter in high winds and when semi's are passing me.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I think they would be particulary good on a Sprinter due to the square rear. I'm not sure of the clearance when the door is fully opened; you'd need about and inch. 3 tabs per foot, up the sides and across the roof at $2.50 per.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Terry, did you mount your Q.C. bracket inside and drop the antenna into it?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
MOot:

No. I cut a circular hole the width of the diameter of the QC antenna, not counting the stainless clamp. I added a foam gasket around the perimeter of the hole and dropped the antenna into the hole. It just sits there. I then added a Fan-tastik, fanless vent over the dome as you see in the foto. When I'm done with this van, I'll open the vent lid, lift out the antenna, replace the bug screen over the hole and close the lid. The next owner will have a vented cargo area.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great idea Terry! No bolt holes and more headroom inside with out the bracket. Is it fairly secure resting on the clamp?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
OVM

www.airtab.com $2.50 ea. use 3 per linear foot. They may not adhere well to extreme curved surface which is why I left off adjacent to my bumper

Mott

The Pacvan is among the best I've seen. Functional for the freight and the inhabitants. Neat and clean with a hole in his roof for the QC antenna. Really enjoyed meeting Danny and his bride and putting a face to the voice and screen name

My antenna is snug in the hole and can't move in any direction. The wires are each on the underside.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Terry,

If you ever get the opportunity the take a picture of the bracket from inside the van it would be greatly appreciated.

I am in the process of incorporating some ideas into a replacement van.

PS. We once discussed the grease zerks on the side door hinges. I saw a 3500 Express Cargo Van with a side slider door. It seems this configuration would alleviate the binding hinge issue. Moreover. it should reduce the problem of trying to keep the side entry door open when entering and exiting on windy days.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
From what I have gathered from Terry's posts his QC is resting on the ring clamp on top of the hole he cut in the roof. This doesn't require the mounting bracket to be inverted and mounted inside the van. This setup should give more head room inside.

In 2004 I bought a new Chevy with a sliding side door. I like it much better than the swing door I had on my other van. An old and experienced expediter told me the swing doors were the way to go because they offered more concealment when "checking the tires". That may be so, but I like the sliding door.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I should note that Terry's setup doesn't use the mounting bracket at all.

And the old expediter who preferred the swing doors was Skip. Packmule has met him. Hey Mule how does Skip do it with his cube van?
Maybe the Old Prof can set him up with something.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
It just seems that the QC is taller than I am picturing in my mind and I wondered if it protruded below the roof line enough to decrease the 48x48x48 load requirement?

PS. One of the other drawbacks to the swing side doors is trying to exit them in the morning when you are still drifty after driving 10 hours and you don't realize thst you have parked on a fairly steep angle. You push the doors open from the inside and then gravity takes over as your head starts out the doorway. Just as you are about halfway out...the door bangs you on the head. Ouch!!!