AirTabs - Hood/Roof Line

sweetbillebob

Seasoned Expediter
We have a Freightliner/Columbia with a reefer unit on the front on the box above the sleeper. The sunvisor with integral lights and the reefer and exposed front of the box above the sleeper collect lots of bugs. I have read about the successes of removing the sunvisor, but I am not sure of how to work this out easily due to the integral lights. I have been considering putting a row of AirTabs across the leading edge of the hood and a row across the leading edge of the roof.

Anybody have any experience trying this approach.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The more aerodynamic things at the front, the more aerodynamic resistance (drag) you will have at the rear. Airtabs at the trailing edges of openings, like at the rear of the cab/sleeper/trailer, rooftop air conditioners, toolboxes, the cargo box, etc., will minimize or eliminate the drag. Airtabs won't make a leading edge of anything more aerodynamic, though. Just the opposite actually, as its physical presence increases wind resistance.

The sun visor acts as an airfoil, or a scoop, and traps air between the visor and the windshield. Putting Airtabs on the leading edge of the visor won't prevent it from trapping air underneath the visor.

Imagine the following tilted down in the other direction, as a visor on the front of the truck:
DI5G2.jpg

The "Relative Wind" gets trapped under the visor by the windshield, as there is no "trailing edge".

If it was a wing, as above and below, the air would flow past the airfoil and the Downwash passing by it would create high pressure underneath and low pressure above, creating lift (which is what makes airplane go, and what causes the drag behind the truck, since the truck itself works in the same way).
AIRFOIL.gif

But because that sunvisor only allows air to freely pass overhead, there is no downwash to create low pressure above, so the pressure above the cab stays the same, and the pressure on the windshield, especially in between the windshield and the visor, rises due to increased aerodynamic wind resistance. Placing Airtabs on the leading edge of the visor will have no effect on what happens underneath the visor. Same with the leading edge of the roof, since there is no drag there and there is already positive air pressure flowing over it, anyway. The trailing edge of the roof, if there is a space between the roof and the box, that's where to place them.

The visor itself makes the front of the vehicle less aerodynamic, and short of filling in the space between the visor and the windshield, there's really nothing you can do to increase the aerodynamics of the visor. Well, you can remove it, of course, but then there's the tradeoff between comfort and safety, and aerodynamics.

I put a bug shield and side-window rain guards on my Sprinter, which resulted in an immediate .5 to .8 MPG hit on fuel. Adding Airtabs gave me that right back, and then some. But the rain guards are worth every penny, and the bug shield, while not even close to being 100% effective, is far more effective at keeping bugs off the windshield than if it wasn't there (sometimes driving through Texas or Arkansas, I wonder if it's working at all, tho :) )

If my bug shield were a few inches taller, Airtabs would help, since it would eliminate the drag immediately behind the shield at the hood, but the Airtabs are too big to fit. On a big truck's bug shield, they may very well fit, and would do the job. But not with a visor that traps air between it and the windshield.

You might want to try placing the Airtabs underneath the front of the visor, though, if there's room. Not all the way across like normal, but maybe one in the center and then one or two on either side. That may disrupt the airflow enough to force the air out to the sides and around the truck quicker, as the Airtabs themselves will create higher pressure directly behind them, and there will be lower pressure to either side of them, forcing the air to the side and around the windshield. If you place them all across the visor like normal, then the air pressure would be the same all across, and you'd be right back to where you started.

In other words, you want to prevent the air from being trapped under the foil in the first place, or provide a more aerodynamically efficient means if getting the air out of there.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
i might add that just because bugs collect someplace does not make it a bad thing for example the PT Cruiser convertible is a great example here. the bar that goes over the passenger compartment that sits just past halfway was originally placed there for looks but was discovered that it lowered fuel consummation by nearly a gallon and a half. and that is where a great amount of the dead bugs collect.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
i might add that just because bugs collect someplace does not make it a bad thing for example the PT Cruiser convertible is a great example here. the bar that goes over the passenger compartment that sits just past halfway was originally placed there for looks but was discovered that it lowered fuel consummation by nearly a gallon and a half. and that is where a great amount of the dead bugs collect.

The solution would be to remove the bar.

Turtle, one of the problems is the lack of a slope form the cab up to the box itself. Even if there is a removal of the sun visor and have no bug shield, the sleeper is shorter than the box due to the reefer unit being there and the reefer unit sticks out creating more drag on the truck due to the large gap on the bottom and no way for air to escape. I have this problem and my only solution is to remove the reefer unit, placing it on the side (which helps out with the drag issue on the bottom of the truck) and then either replacing the top of the sleeper to add to the height of it or adding a dam on the box to create the same effect.

TeamCozumel

Seasoned Expediter
So back to the OP....will the air tabs up front help or hinder. Just say yes or no, please.

Turtle. That's a great reply! I'm always forgetting how those dynamics work. :)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Up front will hinder, or at best make no discernable difference. Would look kewl, tho.

Greg, yeah, I understand the problem. The refer unit doesn't actually create drag, as drag is something you "drag" behind you. The unit diminishes aerodynamics up front (which actually reduces drag) by increasing the wind resistance. It's essentially an air dam, or barrier. The solution is to create a path for the air to flow out and around the side of the box.

The more aerodynamic you are up front, the more drag you will have at the rear. Conversely, the less aerodynamic you are in the front, the less drag there is at the rear. There is no question that being more aerodynamic up front is more efficient, even with increased drag at the rear, because it's a lot of work to plow through all that air with a blunt plow. And with Airtabs, the trailing drag is greatly reduced.

Reducing the up-front resistance to make yourself more aerodynamic is much harder, as you need to basically eliminate anything that causes the wind resistance (hypermilers remove outside mirrors, for example, and the more anal of the bunch actually remove the windshield wiper arms and blades and then install them only when it's raining). A box that is taller than the cab is a significant problem. The most aerodynamic way to deal with that is a deflector dam on the roof, with Airtabs on the trailing edge of the deflector, actually. Otherwise the deflector will help a lot, but will also add drag just behind and underneath it, but the Airtabs will eliminate that.

If you've got one of those refers that isn't very tall, but is nearly as wide as the box (like an MD200 unit or something), that gap below the refer is causing the problem, especially since those things have that downward slant that directs the air right smack into the front of the box. You need something like one of those bubble deflectors mounted under the refer. Or a small v-shaped deflector mounted onto the box right under the refer unit. Just something to give the air a forced path to the sides of the box. Airtabs will not help with that.

Airtabs work on trailing edges to break up airflow that reduces the atmospheric pressure that causes drag, but will not work on leading edges to reduce wind resistance to make something more aerodynamic up front. Only a deflector, or the elimination of the barrier, will do that.

Airtabs are designed to address a very specific principle of aerodynamics, and they work extremely well for that. But they won't positively address any other aerodynamic factors, like reducing wind resistance at the leading edges. If placed in the wrong place, their physical presence only creates more resistance, and the vortex they create only adds to air turbulence which creates even more resistance. Like, instead of installing Airtabs at the rear of the box, and you install them, like, in the middle of the box, they'll increase resistance. They increase resistance even by installing them at the rear of the box, actually, same as a bug shield, side window guard or an outside mirror, but the amount of drag that is reduced far outweighs the increase resistance of the tabs.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
hypermilers remove outside mirrors, for example, and the more anal of the bunch actually remove the windshield wiper arms and blades and then install them only when it's raining

So this is what these idiots are doing on the side of the road dangerously close to traffic messing with their blade?

The V shaped unit was tried without must positive effect (GM wind tunnel testing of a 1999 Kodiak with a reefer box), it removed a lot of the air but it was found that it the air flow was moved up, it made more of positive impact than moving to the sides, something to do with the upward motion of the air from the cab.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So you've seen those nutcases on the side of the road, too. I guess it's more prevalent than I thought. I applaud the passion, but like I said about the sun visor, there's a trade-off between the fuel economy and not only comfort, but safety.

Ss for the V-thingy, I wondered about the force of the air passing over the top of the cab overwhelming the force that would push the air to the side (which is why I know the same force will overwhelm leading-edge Airtabs). Guess you'd need a rooftop deflector, or a much larger V under the refer to get the entire leading edge of the box into a more aerodynamic shape. You'd think that Thermo King would have come up with something by now.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well I was reading their hypermiler forum a few months ago and could not believe the cr*p about drafting trucks they have on that site. That was bad enough but when they were complaining about trucks in the middle lane tailgating them while driving 50mph, it was too much.

I have had a lot of problems with some of these guys/gals drafting my truck - I go slow enough for them to stick behind to take advanage of them. Well one day I am tooling down 75 and traffic stops in front of me suddenly and I slam on the brakes, the car behind me just missed my lift gate by an inch. She came out of her car screaming at me, pounding on my door because it was my fault I stopped hard and she spilled her coffee all over the dash and her pants. I told her call the cops if she wants and got out to see what she hit, which was nothing. When traffic got rolling a few minutes later, she whipped by me and on her back window of her subaru was "I'm a proud hypermiler".

About the reefer thing, gaining mileage is not a big deal because any mileage you gain will be eaten up by running of the reefer if you use a common tank.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, those hypermilers are a hoot. Many realize that they need to be in the far right lane, and most are, but some like that middle lane, because they don't have to speed up, slow down or change lanes for people entering the highway. And they figure than since there are two other lanes, you can just go around (not just hypermilers think that). They don't realize that trucks are restricted from the left lane, and that passing on the right is illegal, so you really don't have two lanes to go around - you actually don't have even one lane to use to pass them.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
The solution would be to remove the bar.

Turtle, one of the problems is the lack of a slope form the cab up to the box itself. Even if there is a removal of the sun visor and have no bug shield, the sleeper is shorter than the box due to the reefer unit being there and the reefer unit sticks out creating more drag on the truck due to the large gap on the bottom and no way for air to escape. I have this problem and my only solution is to remove the reefer unit, placing it on the side (which helps out with the drag issue on the bottom of the truck) and then either replacing the top of the sleeper to add to the height of it or adding a dam on the box to create the same effect.

if you remove the bar the MPG drops 1.5 why do that,it was a cosmetic addition that inadvertently increased the aerodynamics and MPG's

finbar73

Seasoned Expediter
I forget the show it was on probly discovery.Air tabs in a (standing) wind tunnel made dramatic differences.WHen the same truck was brought to a university with a (rolling) wind tunnel the results showed the opposite a noticable increase in fuel consumption.As mentioned in a previous post in a more scientific manner,if you add surface area you loose aerodynamic ability

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
if you remove the bar the MPG drops 1.5 why do that,it was a cosmetic addition that inadvertently increased the aerodynamics and MPG's

i think the hoop is supposed to be roll over protection not cosmetic. lowers the fuel mileage, well ooops!!