After an apocolypse

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Cell phone to call my wife and tell her I love her and mast importantly my Bible! This world is not my home i'm only visitng this planet.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I know what your saying is true,but I don't understand the gold thing,If you have gas,or diesel,food why would you give it up for some gold that you can't eat and won't take you anywhere. I guess the stores might take it,but I'm guessing the stores have been looted,sold out or just gone home to look out for there family.

Because gold, silver, etc. have qualities that make them desirable for trade. Theme portable, durable, capable of being denominated in values that make trade possible, etc. If two parties want to trade food or services, the food could spoil in transit, the services might not be agreed upon because of timing, distance, or difference in value. A medium of exchange solves all those problems. Make your trade in a medium like gold and trade with someone else on the other end.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
BioLite Campstove, iPhone and water. Lots of water. Oh yeah, and my Swiss Army Knife. I never leave home without my Swiss Army Knife. I did leave Florida a few weeks ago without though.
You can probably find it here. :D

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
we are heading immediately to our fully self contained underground bunker located in an undisclosed location !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
After the other 300,000,000 in the USA are through cleaning out the shelves , lol, not just the 10 or 12 that posted here, I may be up that brown river, but that said, lets see, many will need their blood pressure pills, dialysis machines, IVs maybe in short supply, liver pills, my I can't remember where I am pills, colon pills,knee joint meds, flu shots,will my obgyn be here folks,and psycho pills for nerves and migraine headaches, and that just about covers the basics..lol I think the J will be open and waffle house never closes, Im good to go....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
IF I were able to live off the land, as hard as that is, I would likely not need most, if not all, of my meds any more. Many of the meds taken by modern man are needed directly as a result of living a life style that the human body is not designed to live. Many are a result of eating foods that we are not meant to eat.

moose

Veteran Expediter
the internet/Utube if full with thousands of videos and websites that will teach you how to be prepared. just google words like survive, survival kit, or watch vids regarding $ collapse or hyperinflation. try to look for 'places not to be when'...
basically it takes modern society only a few days to becomes an anarchy, once the shelves are empty.
next you will need to educate yourself about basic human needs.
some of which are: health (if you are not, then you will have a problem), get ample supply of the medicine you will need. but there's still time so get healthy and get in shape.
{remember what happen to Forest Gump on that island, just because of one bad tooth?}
next is protecting from the weather. search it.
then it is water. you will need to have the skills of how to make water available for drinking. look it up.
then, food. lots of 'food obtaining skills' can be found on the net, you will need to practice it.
also forget about any kind of services you are used for, communication, information, transportation, energy, public services, protection, Ext. you are on your own.
you will have to be willing to protect yourself, and the little items you have obtained.
{remember that 'war of the worlds' movie with Tom Cruise ? when the family could not protect the 'only running car'?}
IF you are lucky, you will be reunited with your love-ones, but that's a BIG if...
as an expediter, you might wanna have a bicycle on board. the good news is that you probably gonna find your way home.

jay1966

Active Expediter
IF I were able to live off the land, as hard as that is, I would likely not need most, if not all, of my meds any more. Many of the meds taken by modern man are needed directly as a result of living a life style that the human body is not designed to live. Many are a result of eating foods that we are not meant to eat.

So true.
A few years ago I started feeling worse and worse.
I was run down, suffering from severe migraines and Mood swings. I had odd feelings of swelling and shortness of breath, often after eating, my mouth would often feel burned and tender.
Over the past few years I've found that most of these symptoms are caused by food allergies, mainly any type food that contains processed tomatoes ( tomato sauce, tomato paste, ketchup ). Fresh tomatoes don't affect me as badly but I do get enough mild symptoms to avoid them as well.
It was after this that I realized from a walk through the grocery store just how many items we eat that actually contain processed tomatoes, salsa, spaghetti sauce, pizza, soups, ready made dinners, meatloaf.
With the odd hybrid / gene spliced fruits and vegetables we are now consuming it's no wonder more and more people are getting sicker and sicker.
If you grow a garden make sure you obtain vintage heirloom seeds that have not been modified or subjected to radiation.

jay1966

Active Expediter
Oh and here is a survival tip a friend shared with me recently.
If you are looking to having to live off the land, start collecting and saving pennies.
The copper /zinc alloy used in the American 1 cent coin can be melted down fairly easily and converted into arrow heads.
If you spend hours knapping out a stone arrow head and miss your shot you have lost out on food and hours of work but Penny arrowheads can be heated, cast and sharpened for pretty much nothing and a large jar of coins would provide enough material for a few hundred arrows.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Jay: it's too bad you suffer from an allergy to processed tomatoes, as they are much higher in lycopene, which is very beneficial to the immune system, but it's good that you found what triggers a response - many folks never consider food allergies at all. The problems they cause can be pretty startling, even including behavioral aspects, and they're often overlooked as a source.
Regarding heirloom seeds, it helps to know why the heirloom was 'improved', because some factors, [like flavor and ability to withstand shipping] aren't as important as disease and pest resistance.
Doesn't help to plant seeds that have no resistance to the pests and diseases that will continue to flourish when technology has been removed from the equation, IMO.

jay1966

Active Expediter
Thanks I have been much better since I cut tomatoes out of my diet. I still have an occasional slice of pizza ( I can order it from papa johns without sauce) and Wendy's chili doesn't seem to cause too much reaction. I've found meatloaf is just as good with a light glaze of brown gravy as with tomato sauce.
Modifications to increase flavor also usually increase acidity which may cause problems for people with borderline sensitivity. If I could find a heirloom vearity with less acidic modification I could probably make my own sauces.
Since I'm growing a substinence garden I don't need all the wholesale pest and disease resistance of a commercial grower, just a stock well suited for my area.

I've recently read where some public libraries are now building heritage seed collections. You can request seeds for free with just a postage charge and all they ask is that you return back an equal amount of seeds from your crop to the collection. This is a very nice development : )

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Jay: 3 suggestions:
1 white [or Hawaiian] pizza - no tomatoes, really yummy!
2 Yellow tomatoes - tend to be much less acidic.
3 PM Jujubeans - she is planting some heirloom seeds in her gardens, too. When I had gardens, there were some heirloom varieties in nearly every catalog.
:)