Affordable Health Insurance

G

As independent O/O's where do you get health insurance that you can afford? We have just received our new plan from UnitedHealthcare and my wife and I will now have to pay over $2,000 per month just for basic health care with a deductible of $5000 each per year. We are in fairly good health; but, we are both over 50...I am 57 and she is 54. With this deductible UnitedHealthcare hasn't paid a cent for us and probably won't since we both have to reach the $5000. I can plan for truck expenses and my mortgage; but, if this keeps up we are going to have to throw in the towel and quit what we love doing.
Where can we turn.....I'm mad and my wife is in tears. Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Check out Blue Cross at http://www.bluecares.com/ When you get to the main page, there is a section called "Get insurance purchase information" near the center of the screen. Hit the Go button and another screen will come up giving you a choice between family plans and group plans for employers. Select the family option. Next, type in your zip code. On the next screen I just used the first drop down menu for my home state. The next page gives you some options and the first one is "Tell us your needs and get a quote". I did a quick search of their rates for somebody 57 and 54 and think you will find Blue Cross to be pretty competetive.

I have had Blue Cross since 1997 and they have been very good to me. You never get any hassles from doctors or hospitals when you whoop out the blue cross card. Plus, I am sure they have paid out more money than I have.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am 49 and just got a Blue Cross package through www.ehealthinsurance.com that covers just me. It has a fairly high deductible and then copay before it kicks in 100%. I have to pay out $8000 in any one year before it takes over completely but I only pay about $100 a month premium. I got it in case of something really major and bad knowing it would cost me for smaller stuff if/when used but keep the premium as low as possible.

When you go to that website you put in your info and it shows you a bunch of choices from 4 different insurers. There are other online shopping sources as well but that's the one I used. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Also OOIDA offers medical plans,there is a link to them on the home page. I would stay away from MegaLife,had them for a short stretch and they are not up front with you about deductibles.

One thing I found out about Blue Cross ,if you have any pre existing problems ,forget getting coverage,also your age counts against you. These ##### insurance companies want you if your under 30 with no problems, but anything that might be wrong down the road will count against you.
My wife has Atena,premimun is $523 a month with a $10,000 deductible,why, because shw has a elevated liver enzyme that she has had all her life and does not affect here in the least, but Atena,Blue Cross etc see this condition and immeadiately think liver transplant coming up and deny coverage. United Health states that pre existing conditions will not be covered for 1 year but in spite of that advertising BS they still turned her down. Good Luck

bruchar

Expert Expediter
Have you thought about MSA (Medical Savings Account) I've had one for 3 years now and I am happy with it. You choose a deductible (mine is 3850.) and you choose how much a month extra you want to put in your savings account (@4% interest). That money you can use for any health, vision, dental or anything health related expense. There are also tax advantages. My deductible was met at the beginning of the year and since then all medical needs were met at 100% (not even co-pay for doctors visits). Look into it...I've gone through the insurance nightmare for many years before this came along.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
For $2000 a month, you can pay things out of pocket (if you are in good health) and get a catastrophic policy to cover you if something seriously happens to you.

The last quote I got was for $670 a month for me and an additional $200 for my wife, lower deductible and $10 prescriptions - BCBS. This was an agent who gets group policies for small businesses. Now this was last year but I don't think the prices are much higher than that.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Interestingly enough, I received this email today from OOIDA about health insurance:

***GUARANTEED ISSUE*****LIMITED TIME OFFER*****NO MEDICAL QUESTIONS ASKED***

OOIDA is now offering a Scheduled Payment Medical Plan to all members. Current members have until 12/31/06 to enroll -- Guaranteed Issue.

* NO Pre-existing Conditions
* NO Height or Weight questions asked
* Pays in addition to other benefit plans
* 4 Plan options available

This scheduled payment plan includes payments for:
* Physician office visits
* Wellness benefit
* Daily hospital confinement and more!

Further details, rates and an enrollment form are on the OOIDA website, www.ooida.com. The Advantage Plans are listed under the Benefits and Programs section. If you would like to speak to an Agent, please call our office at 1-800-715-9369 and ask for the Medical Benefits Group. Office hours are 7:30 am to 5:30 pm, Monday - Friday, CST.

Act now as the open enrollment period ends 12/31/06. If you miss this introductory enrollment period, you will be subject to underwriting approval.

----------

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davebeckym

Expert Expediter
drbna, I believe you can combine a catastrophic plan with a MSA (medical savings plan). I know you can combine them with a high deductable plan.

If you take the $2000 per month for your current plan you could get a $10,000 detuctable policy for say, $800 per month, then put the $1200 you saved into a MSA. You can put up to what ever your deductable is into the account. I believe the limit for a couple is $10,000 per year. If your medical expenses are small the money will grow tax defered.

This is tax deductable, I'm not sure if it's a sch C or if you have to take it on sch A.

bigjoep89

Expert Expediter
Concrete truck driver 15 years
Concrete sales mgr, 13 years.
Expediter 1.5 years.

I was able to obtain a very good policy through AARP.
(designed for us over 50) Worth checking out.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I also found health insurance to be prohibitively expensive, but I use a discount program called MedLife Plus, that is entirely online, and the cost is very reasonable. I've used it just once, and it seems to be pretty good - includes dental & prescription coverage also. You can check it out at Medlife.com, hope it helps - it's scary to have no coverage at all, I know.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Dave
That is a supplement. It is not a health insurance policy. They also provide a disclaimer stating that it isn't health insurance.

That is to be used in addition to a regular health policy.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator