Aerocell-Unicell Supreme/Baybridge type Cube Vans

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Which companies accept this type of truck?

Also do they pay more for the additional height on loads higher than 48", i.e. Sprinter rates?

Do some companies pay for a small c box with vans with a flat floor (no wheel wells) 91" wheel base?

Thanks for your help

Big Al

Forsyth Missouri (near Branson)

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Each carrier pays differently but you should generally get the higher sprinter rate if that carrier pays the higher sprinter rate.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am guessing at least 4,000 lbs with a E450 chassis with a V10 engine.

Big Al

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well if you are going to go that route, I wouldn't even bother with any class 5/6 truck and just get into a real truck that will haul more. E450 = logging and why bother to deal with the 7 to 10 mpg in something that can only haul 4k?

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm hopeing you just started doing your homework on this, Anything over 10,000 Pounds you have to Log,Which means you now have to follow the HOS Rules..which at the rate you would be making its a lose-lose kinda deal, if you want the appeal of a van stay under 10,000 pounds..but wait there is more,with a small box you fuel mileage will...well suck again a lose-lose deal, either get a sprinter or grab a straight truck.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I guess we're more into creature comfort at a reasonable price. Also I don't see why you can't average at least 10 mpg with this unit. According to a search on rv.net that's what most class c rv's are getting and after expediting I want to make this into a class c motorhome.

With a medium duty truck it seems as though to get a large sleeper 96" plus, apu, refrig. air ride,etc. the cost goes to $80,000 plus new. It seems hard to find a medium duty truck
with a c box, reasonable miles (less than 200k) large sleeper, auto trans, non smokers,etc.

If I am incorrect in my assumptions please let me know. We've been out of expediting for awhile so we're probably missing something.

We've considered the single wheel rear axle by unicell. That would put us under 10k and we could use a 5.4 gas with a 3.73 rear axle and I figure about 15 mpg at about 60 mpg.

We have a 2000 E350 7.3 powerstrke with 650k but nobody seems to want to take a unit that old; however I would put it up against newer vans for appearance and performance.

We're both retired so we have an income and I am 6'5" about 300 lbs and with 2 of us, smaller get real crowded on weekends.

Sincerely,

Big Al

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'm hopeing you just started doing your homework on this, Anything over 10,000 Pounds you have to Log,Which means you now have to follow the HOS Rules..which at the rate you would be making its a lose-lose kinda deal, if you want the appeal of a van stay under 10,000 pounds..but wait there is more,with a small box you fuel mileage will...well suck again a lose-lose deal, either get a sprinter or grab a straight truck.

Logging is not a problem. We used to log when pulling RV's in the 90's. I agree it's less aggravating not to have to log. I am concerned about by the time I add a small generator,air conditioner,refrig. 2 deep cycle batteries I'll run out of space and severally restrict my load capacity.

But that's the reason I am asking because I value all of your opinions. Thank you.

Sincerely

Big Al

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think this is a little off course, so I'll be more specific.
Does the following companies use aerocell or cube style vans:

Load 1, Express 1, All State Express, Landstar, Panther or FedEx?

Sincerely,
Big Al

greg334

Veteran Expediter
yep they all do but the idea of having an age requirement is somewhat a stupid thing, seeing a few companies don't really care how old the truck/van is and do well enough without the babysitting mentality.

But here is the thing, the RV world is a lot different than the trucking world. In the RV world, you don't load your truck near capacity a lot of the time and drive 75 to 100k a year. Here you do and the two v10 owners I know don't like the 8 mpg they get with theirs, the engine really isn't needed when you consider the 6.whatever and the 7.3 fords pull trailers in the ltl world without much of an issue so hauling a cutaway with a box on it shouldn't be one either.

As for a straight truck costing 80k think again, there are plenty out there cheaper than that.

OH and one other thing, having a small box truck (C unit) in a fleet where they like vans (sprinters) or large D units will be a difficult thing to get over. I know that from practical experience and planning on one of two moves by the end of the year - get into a larger truck or into a custom sprinter. The idea is not to trap yourself into a truck that may be hard to get rid of later on or one that will be hard to make a move to another company.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
yep they all do but the idea of having an age requirement is somewhat a stupid thing, seeing a few companies don't really care how old the truck/van is and do well enough without the babysitting mentality.

But here is the thing, the RV world is a lot different than the trucking world. In the RV world, you don't load your truck near capacity a lot of the time and drive 75 to 100k a year. Here you do and the two v10 owners I know don't like the 8 mpg they get with theirs, the engine really isn't needed when you consider the 6.whatever and the 7.3 fords pull trailers in the ltl world without much of an issue so hauling a cutaway with a box on it shouldn't be one either.

As for a straight truck costing 80k think again, there are plenty out there cheaper than that.

OH and one other thing, having a small box truck (C unit) in a fleet where they like vans (sprinters) or large D units will be a difficult thing to get over. I know that from practical experience and planning on one of two moves by the end of the year - get into a larger truck or into a custom sprinter. The idea is not to trap yourself into a truck that may be hard to get rid of later on or one that will be hard to make a move to another company.
I agree that RVing is totally different. All the miles on our van have been expediting, which we've done since the late 90's with Roberts, then ConWay and more recently Bolt.

Perhaps we'll just start up again with a newer gas van after the first of the year and see how it goes. Been down for over a year. Thank you for your advise about the V10, if we go with an Aerocell city wide we can stay under 10K and the 5.4 gas with 3.73 axle should give decent mpg. We'll really miss our 7.3, 22mpg at 63 mph.

I noticed that quite a few van owners have gone with the inverter generators so it's solved a lot of problems the gasser's have.

Sincerely,

Big Al

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I'm guessing this would qualify as a HCV. As I was exiting US #60 in Mt Grove, Mo this afternoon. A Ford chassis I'm fairly sure. Was getting on RT #60 West bound. All white no lettering. The doors seemed to be as high as the van body which was at least 7 ft high. I thought it must get exciting when a semi goes by. Taller then any Sprinter I have ever seen.

d_b1486

Active Expediter
Hey, recently I switched from a chevy extended cargo van into a chevy cube van with a supreme body. Ifs a 2008 model and had 161k miles at time of purchase. I got around 16.5 avg with my cargo van, which was a 2005 with 323k miles at time switched. Right now with the cubevan in avg'ing 14.5 to 15mpg at 60 to 65mph. Both vans have the 4.8l v8. Dry weight is 6700 with me n full tank and few things, but I've added some stuff since then so ofcourse now it weighs alittle more. It drives great, the space is great and it costs a quarter of what a sprinter does, not bashing any ppl with sprinters. Lots less maintenance also. I can carry around 2700 lbs. Dimensions are 150" length, stock came at 50" fender width, but I cut and moved it out and made it 54" width between fenders, although the door width is 70", door height is 64" although it's 72" inside height. Made by supreme corporation. Great little van, and already had around 4 loads in the 3 months I've had it that would of fit into my old extended. What I really like about these is how u have lots of space for ur stuff. I turn thenlittle spoiler abovethe cab into a storage area, big storage area it is. And u have a foot on each side of the van of the fenders to stick ur stuff into. Had a couple that has a big sprinter see it
One day in Dallas, and they were amazed with how much space and storage there is and liked it over there sprinter. But it's hard to find them. I found mine on autotrader, just got lucky is all it is. Found it in Charlotte Nc, and That's where I'm from as well. So luckily didn't have to drive far to get it. If u would like more info on it or some pics let me know, would be more than happy to show it to ya, sorry for the long "letter", sitting in Kansas city and having nothing else to do right now lol have a great day.

Posted with my iPhone EO Forum App

d_b1486

Active Expediter
aefd81b4-5eac-926f.jpg

HEre is the most recent picture from the outside. Took it after putting those rv windows in.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey, recently I switched from a chevy extended cargo van into a chevy cube van with a supreme body. Ifs a 2008 model and had 161k miles at time of purchase. I got around 16.5 avg with my cargo van, which was a 2005 with 323k miles at time switched. Right now with the cubevan in avg'ing 14.5 to 15mpg at 60 to 65mph. Both vans have the 4.8l v8. Dry weight is 6700 with me n full tank and few things, but I've added some stuff since then so ofcourse now it weighs alittle more. It drives great, the space is great and it costs a quarter of what a sprinter does, not bashing any ppl with sprinters. Lots less maintenance also. I can carry around 2700 lbs. Dimensions are 150" length, stock came at 50" fender width, but I cut and moved it out and made it 54" width between fenders, although the door width is 70", door height is 64" although it's 72" inside height. Made by supreme corporation. Great little van, and already had around 4 loads in the 3 months I've had it that would of fit into my old extended. What I really like about these is how u have lots of space for ur stuff. I turn thenlittle spoiler abovethe cab into a storage area, big storage area it is. And u have a foot on each side of the van of the fenders to stick ur stuff into. Had a couple that has a big sprinter see it
One day in Dallas, and they were amazed with how much space and storage there is and liked it over there sprinter. But it's hard to find them. I found mine on autotrader, just got lucky is all it is. Found it in Charlotte Nc, and That's where I'm from as well. So luckily didn't have to drive far to get it. If u would like more info on it or some pics let me know, would be more than happy to show it to ya, sorry for the long "letter", sitting in Kansas city and having nothing else to do right now lol have a great day.

Sounds great! Just right for 2 people and a min. comforts and stil lbe under 10K. Please send me a PM and let me know which company uses you and do they pay extra for oversize loads?

Wish you well

Big Al

guido4475

Not a Member
aefd81b4-5eac-926f.jpg

HEre is the most recent picture from the outside. Took it after putting those rv windows in.

Nice size windows.If you, or anybody else, is looking for these kind of rv windows, go to Elkhart, Indiana.RV Surplus outlet is on the right side of rt 19, going south, south of the turnpike.It is down a little ways.There are a few different outlets down that way, but this guy usually will deal with you on things.That size window generally goes for $25.00 at that store.I ran into a Fed-Ex guy that paid over $100.00 each for a window smaller than that.I'd just like to save someone some money, if at all possible.Nice looking van! I love mine as well!

d_b1486

Active Expediter
Thanks man. I was actually driving somewhere in TN on some secondary highways and saw an rv junkyard, stopped by and picked up 2 of these windows and a fantastic fan from them. Guy wanted 40 eah window and 35 for fan. I bargained all 3 for 100. And that fantastic fan is awesome! And knowing they cost 150 to 400 on eBay and probably more in stores, I got a heck of a deal.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Logging is not a problem. We used to log when pulling RV's in the 90's. I agree it's less aggravating not to have to log. I am concerned about by the time I add a small generator,air conditioner,refrig. 2 deep cycle batteries I'll run out of space and severally restrict my load capacity.

But that's the reason I am asking because I value all of your opinions. Thank you.

Sincerely

Big Al

Hey Big Al,

I used to own a cube with a very similar setup. No sleeper though. That being said, even with the liftgate, I could put up to about 5800 in it.

By the way, I PMed you with some good info.