Advice on a 2003 Sprinter....

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I need some advice on a 2003 Dodge Sprinter...with 70K on it...Were there many problems with the newer sprinters or not...Seriously getting a great deal on one and being cautious cuz I know it was either the 1st or 2nd year sprinters were out...:D

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I wouldn't have a sprinter if it was free ...those things are problems ...ask around about transmission problems...never heard of a trans going more than 300,000 and 7,000 for new tranny u do the math...didn't u say $ was tight?? Sprinters require a lot of maintence

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
...never heard of a trans going more than 300,000 and 7,000 for new tranny u do the math...
I think OVM's went around 450K b4 he had to replace his .... and I think he paid less than $7K for the replacement, although I could be mistaken.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think OVM's went around 450K b4 he had to replace his .... and I think he paid less than $7K for the replacement, although I could be mistaken.

absolutely...459k and $3972 for a reman...1yr 100,000 warranty

this gets real old...defending the sprinter against people who have NO real clue....

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, there were lots of problems with them, but nothing insurmountable. Most of the problems deal with the intake and EGR valve, and IIRC a vibrating fuel line which is something to keep an eye on. EGR valve is an easy one, just take it off and give it a good scrubbing about every 4 months. Fuel line can be secured by a MB mechanic if it's a problem (some 03's have it, some don't).

Depending on how good a deal the deal is, with only 70,000 miles on it, it might be worth a go. I wouldn't pay over $10,000 for it, because first thing you'll need to do at 70,000 is transmission fluid and rear end, and a close inspection on rear axle seals, maybe lower ball joints and wheel bearings, too.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Asjssl says "do the math"....OK

100,000 miles per year and $2.80 a gallon for fuel

Ford at 15mpg = $18,666 in fuel
Sprinter at 20 mpg = $14,000 in fuel

"The math" says Sprinter savings $4,666 a year.

Can a Ford get better than 15mpg...sure, but so does a Sprinter. 20 is the LOWEST I get when its windy and I am in a hurry. I averaged 22 last year, and I have an 08 which gets worse fuel mileage than the pre 07's (thanks EPA:rolleyes:).

When fuel goes back up....and it will, the "math" gets even better.

Sure they have problems, but nowhere near $4,600 worth of them every year.

I am by no means a Sprinter fanboy....I may not buy another one, but don't say "do the math" without actually doing it. A properly driven and maintained Sprinter can put a lot of money into your pocket.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, there were lots of problems with them, but nothing insurmountable. Most of the problems deal with the intake and EGR valve, and IIRC a vibrating fuel line which is something to keep an eye on. EGR valve is an easy one, just take it off and give it a good scrubbing about every 4 months. Fuel line can be secured by a MB mechanic if it's a problem (some 03's have it, some don't).

Depending on how good a deal the deal is, with only 70,000 miles on it, it might be worth a go. I wouldn't pay over $10,000 for it, because first thing you'll need to do at 70,000 is transmission fluid and rear end, and a close inspection on rear axle seals, maybe lower ball joints and wheel bearings, too.

Agreed Turtle...oil change to make sure right oil is in it...do the rear/tranny service and have the front bearings repacked and have the front end checked out completely...with 70K there shouldn't be too many if any issues...

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My son has a 07 that he's put over a 100,000 miles on it with no problems, just do Maintence by the book.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you can't have maintance report i would pass

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I need some advice on a 2003 Dodge Sprinter...with 70K on it...Were there many problems with the newer sprinters or not...Seriously getting a great deal on one and being cautious cuz I know it was either the 1st or 2nd year sprinters were out...:D

Uh Oh......Here we go again.:D

You might want to save yourself thousands and thousands of dollars of future expenses and consider something like this first:

2005 Chevrolet Van, delivery van, box van

500-600K miles easy, if not a hell of a lot more, and 80% less in maintenance costs over the long run compared with a Sprinter.

My opinion...............:p

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes, Sprinter maintenance will cost you more than Ford maintenance will. You can skip Ford maintenance or be a little lax here and there and the Ford is somewhat forgiving in some areas. The Sprinter is not even the least little bit forgiving in any area.

On the other hand, Ford fuel economy will cost you more than Sprinter fuel economy. The increased fuel economy of a Sprinter will, absolutely, make you more money in the long run than the increased maintenance costs of a Sprinter, provided you maintain the Sprinter by the book.

In the long run a Sprinter can be cheaper. It certainly has been for me.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
One of the nice things about a slightly older one is that parts are much more accessible for the high mileage issues we face. More people are needing those kind of repairs for their Sprinter by this point, so more are available.