Ads for non-CDL Drivers

tazman

Expert Expediter
Are they legit...can you drive a straight truck or even a cargo van without a CDL ???
If so is anyone running that way that cares to discuss ???

Thanks,

Tazman

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Any vehicle under 26,000 pounds GVWR, and you don't need a CDL (unless you are hauling more than 9 passengers for hire, or 15 not-for-hire, or HAZMAT). Some carriers may, nevertheless, require that all of their drivers have a CDL, van drivers included. Some do not.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Driving a CV that i own, no CDL here...I do get the DOT Medical Physicals and the DOT Vehicle Inspections as the company i least to requires them for their fleet insurance carrier...but that us it.....

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hey thanks for the info...

I'm about to take my test for CDL anyway...thought I'd ask.....

How is the climate out there...getting warmer or still cold (load wise )....????

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
my load #'s from last yr were fine, this yr...welll i went out of service dec 18th, just went back in service Jan 3rd, got my 1st load 18 hrs later.....its all good...:D

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I don't have a CDL and I drive an under 26K straight truck with airbrakes
Here in Indiana all you need for this is a Chauffeurs license. Which is just a written test.
I do need to log and have DOT physicals

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I was under the impression (apparently mistaken) that CDL's were Federally regulated. I got my CDL B in Connecticut in 1969 with Air Brakes & Tanker endorsement. At the time a CDL was needed for air brakes.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was under the impression (apparently mistaken) that CDL's were Federally regulated. I got my CDL B in Connecticut in 1969 with Air Brakes & Tanker endorsement. At the time a CDL was needed for air brakes.

There was no CDL in 1969.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
There certainly was. I was driveing a ten wheel flat bed truck for a local Lumber Company. The local High way department sent a senior driver down and anyone who wanted to be "Grandfatherered" in could get a form to take to the Ct. Motor Vehicle Department and it was added to the back of your license.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The federal CDL started in 1990 or '91. Not exactly sure...

Prior to that there was just a simple "chauffeurs" endorsement. There was no federal registry.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I believe your thinking of the Federal law that made it illegal to have a CDL license in more then one State. This law came about primarlly from a crash on the Ct, Turnpike in the mid 80's at the toll on the West side of New Heaven when a Semi driver fell asleep. Plowed into the traffic stopped for the toll. Killed a mother & as I recall at least three of her children. It turned out he had license's in at least five states. WIth three of them Under supension.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
There certainly was. I was driveing a ten wheel flat bed truck for a local Lumber Company. The local High way department sent a senior driver down and anyone who wanted to be "Grandfatherered" in could get a form to take to the Ct. Motor Vehicle Department and it was added to the back of your license.

No there wasn't . Some states had classified licenses . Some were A, B, C , some were 1 , 2, 3 . . A MA Class 1 was a semi license . I had an AR chauffeur's license in 1978 and moved to MA . They wouldn't give me a Class 1 because I didn't have a classified license . I got a RI address and they did give me a classified license which I gave to MA and got a Class 1 . Highway Star is correct . I grandfathered my MA Class 1 to a CDL A .

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
IF there was no CDL why did you have to be Grandfathered in Rhode Island to get a license in Mass?