Adhesive Capsulitis

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Shortly before I hung up my lucrative career as an expedite van O/O with the big kitty, I noticed stiffness and pain in my left arm socket. I could hardly reach around my back to get my wallet out of my left hip pocket. Went to the doc, doc sez it was due to old age combined with limited use of my left arm. Thinking back I remember that my left hand and arm were used to close the drivers door, move the turn signal lever, punch the power window and lock switches. My right arm and hand were used for many more functions, such as radio selection, reaching for Diet Cokes and Cheetos, QC operations, sex partner, and most of the cargo strapping,etc were right handed use. The object of this post is to remind drivers, especially older geezer type drivers to exercise both arms. When walking across parking lots, etc., flap your wings, do the old fast ball pitch wind up, anything that moves that shoulder. Believe me, if the old adhesive capsulitis bites you, it hurts like H***.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Tennessee you would pick up on that comment! LOL

theoldprof, I also had that, but in the right shoulder. Doc said women are more susceptible than men and sometimes it happens for no reason. I think mine was from over use (no comments Tennessee) When I came out of a 10 speed manual transmission truck, and into an automatic it went away after a few months. You are correct, it hurts like H*LL! Hope it gets better soon.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
While I have never had it I know of this ailment. One thing I always did was to crank the landing gear down with my right arm and back up with my left. That way equal ware and tear would happen and either arm could function in a sexual situation.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Adhesive capsulitis? Sounds like what would happen if I were using Super Glue, while taking medication...(it could happen!)
The 10 speed comment reminded me: lots of things we do in this modern day, are things the human body was not designed to do: repetitive motion things.(Whether part of your sex life or otherwise), and the only cure for that is to stop doing it. Automatic transmissions are a good idea, IMO, if only because they lessen the strain on shoulder, elbow, wrist, and knee. And arthritis isn't just an aging thing, either - it can also be caused by trauma.
I keep a 2 lb dumbbell handy, and do arm & shoulder exercises while driving - kind of limited on the left side, but if nothing else, it occupies some time on those long, boring parts.
I like Rich's plan, too, and will adopt it immediately.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
>sex partner? Ohhh TMI! :eek: :7

dude Dude DUDE
dude dayum
thanks prof, funny I was getting a bag outta the truck yesterday and turned ever so slightly the wrong way...
Ibuprofen is my friend but I need to get my bloated butt out of the truck more.

"Don't Taze me Bro"

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter
repetitive motion things.(Whether part of your sex
>life or otherwise), and the only cure for that is to stop
>doing it.
don't forget also what your momma told you about stopping before you go blind

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
> repetitive motion things.(Whether part of your sex
>>life or otherwise), and the only cure for that is to stop
>>doing it.
> don't forget also what your momma told you about stopping
>before you go blind
My mother never said that - maybe because she happens to be blind as a bat (without her glasses). And she knows me too well.
;)

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Just kiddin' bout the sex partner. I quit loooooong time ago. Still have to have strong glasses to this day. Somebody mentioned we do a lot of things we're weren't designed to do. That's why we have so much carpal tunnel and knee replacements. I just had a left knee replacement. Ouch!!! I need the right replaced as soon as I can schedule it. Double Ouch!!! God didn't intend for our bodies to pound the cement floors at Generous Motors for nearly 40 years.

:+ :+

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Any ideas for eye/brain exercises? I need them.

At first read I thought the title of this thread was adhesive catapults. Thought it was a new way to unload a Sprinter.