A word of caution to the EO community about DVT and blood clots.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
As some of you guys know i've been suffering from some pretty bad leg pain since I fell off the back of my van last October. I kept putting off going to the hospital because I do not have health insurance and I was hoping the injuries would heal on their own. All of this time I waa walking around in pain, punching walls and suffering because I didn't want to have ahuge medical bill looming over my head. Well, I was walking around for the past four months with a ticking time bomb inside my body - I was very close to having a fatal Pulmonary Embolism. It turns out that my severe leg pain was due to one huge massive blood clot that stems from my ankle all the way up to my pelvis area throughout the frmoral artery. It was also discovered "through an MRI" that there are two very sizeable blood clots inside my lings as well.

I'm not sure if this was due to the fall or if these massive blood clots were there prior to the fall and that the fall itself dislodged a few pieces of the clot and caused the beginning of months of pain. But I may suffer some permanent side effects from this simply because I manned up and took the pain for 4 months all the time ignoring my better judgement. I just want everyone to be aware of how seriouse DVT blood clots are in the line of work that we do. I was reading that there are over 200 thousand cases of DVT that go undiagnosed each year because there are simply no symptoms and then (bam) you're gone! Please have yourselves checked out as soon as possible and if you have any pain or swelling in the legs or ankles do not take the situation lightly.

The pain in my leg felt like the entire thing was one huge pulled muscle. I am gonna be on pain meds and cumadin "warfaren" for the next six months. I have to get blood tests once a week to monitor the theraputic levels in my blood and abstain from getting injured as I can bleet out like no ones business if I get hurt. It's not fun having people poke and prod you, feed you, ask you if you have passed a bowel movement every few hours for a week, but I kept my mout shut and took the shots of lovinox like a man because the Emergncy Room Doctors saved my life and for that I am greatful. The only comedy that came out of all of this is that I was actively encouraged to use a pee jug at night time so that they can measure how many CC's of urine I passed. Looking back on the discussion that we recently had in here about this topic made me laugh a little bit when the nurse asked me to use the jug instead of the toilet.

Like I said, please watch your health on the road. This job is very hard on the body. We all need to be mindful of our blood pressure, diabetes, blood circulation, and general dietary habits while on the road. I'm going to be making some changes to the way I live my life from now on. Just be aware of your body and don't wait till the last minute to get yourself checked out if you are having any problems. We maintain our vehicles - I spent 6 grand on getting my van healthy and safe to operate and all the while my own body was being neglected and sibjected to unnecessary suffering. It's just a word of caution for the EO community. I'm not looking for sympathy - I'll take being alive to write about it as my life long gift. I sincerely want everyone to be safe out there.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Like I said, please watch your health on the road. This job is very hard on the body. We all need to be mindful of our blood pressure, diabetes, blood circulation, and general dietary habits while on the road. I'm going to be making some changes to the way I live my life from now on. Just be aware of your body and don't wait till the last minute to get yourself checked out if you are having any problems. We maintain our vehicles - I spent 6 grand on getting my van healthy and safe to operate and all the while my own body was being neglected and sibjected to unnecessary suffering. It's just a word of caution for the EO community. I'm not looking for sympathy - I'll take being alive to write about it as my life long gift. I sincerely want everyone to be safe out there.
Good post Jeremy, hoping your clot dissolves completely and like you I will be mindful of the fact "we don't heal like we used to".

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
As some of you guys know i've been suffering from some pretty bad leg pain since I fell off the back of my van last October. I kept putting off going to the hospital because I do not have health insurance and I was hoping the injuries would heal on their own. All of this time I waa walking around in pain, punching walls and suffering because I didn't want to have ahuge medical bill looming over my head. Well, I was walking around for the past four months with a ticking time bomb inside my body - I was very close to having a fatal Pulmonary Embolism. It turns out that my severe leg pain was due to one huge massive blood clot that stems from my ankle all the way up to my pelvis area throughout the frmoral artery. It was also discovered "through an MRI" that there are two very sizeable blood clots inside my lings as well.

I'm not sure if this was due to the fall or if these massive blood clots were there prior to the fall and that the fall itself dislodged a few pieces of the clot and caused the beginning of months of pain. But I may suffer some permanent side effects from this simply because I manned up and took the pain for 4 months all the time ignoring my better judgement. I just want everyone to be aware of how seriouse DVT blood clots are in the line of work that we do. I was reading that there are over 200 thousand cases of DVT that go undiagnosed each year because there are simply no symptoms and then (bam) you're gone! Please have yourselves checked out as soon as possible and if you have any pain or swelling in the legs or ankles do not take the situation lightly.

The pain in my leg felt like the entire thing was one huge pulled muscle. I am gonna be on pain meds and cumadin "warfaren" for the next six months. I have to get blood tests once a week to monitor the theraputic levels in my blood and abstain from getting injured as I can bleet out like no ones business if I get hurt. It's not fun having people poke and prod you, feed you, ask you if you have passed a bowel movement every few hours for a week, but I kept my mout shut and took the shots of lovinox like a man because the Emergncy Room Doctors saved my life and for that I am greatful. The only comedy that came out of all of this is that I was actively encouraged to use a pee jug at night time so that they can measure how many CC's of urine I passed. Looking back on the discussion that we recently had in here about this topic made me laugh a little bit when the nurse asked me to use the jug instead of the toilet.

These things are insidious, because they feel like something else, as you stated, a pulled muscle.

My mother has been prone to blood clots since she was 22. Four years ago she started getting them one after another, as soon as her coumadin therapy was done, she had another.

It was found out she has a genetic disorder, "Leiden Factor V- Protein C Deficiency". Our blood clots constantly in our bodies all the time. Protein C breaks down the clots in people with good circulation. My mother has great circulation, but no Protein C. The doctors tested her for that after her third clot in 4 months coupled with family history (grandfather, father, cousins died of heart attacks before 50 years of age, many miscarriages in the women, Dutch ancestry). She has to be on 7mg coumadin every day for the rest of her life, has to have her INR reading done every two weeks, avoid "dark green" vegetables and fruits (I think the okra ban has been harder on this southern belle than anything else). When traveling, she must stop every two hours and walk for 15 minutes.

She has no other secondary health issues, like diabetes, etc. Just the genetic disorder. I was tested, do not have it, but my brother did. It was a contributing factor to his death at age 47.

I do have diabetes. Managed with Januvia. I do have cervical spinal stenosis. Managed with 975mg aspirin. Though I don't have Leiden and my diabetes is under control plus I am on megadoses of aspirin, Jeffman and I still walk everyday, do stretching exercises, and when at home, ride bicycles minimum 5 miles. Weather permitting. Keeping that circulation working is absolutely necessary!

I hope you recover fully and never have one of these consarned things again. If, Heaven forbid, you do, I have been told you never forget the early warning signs and can get treated early...and if you have Dutch ancestry, make sure the hematologist knows! In this case, that is as important as letting them know about diabetes, cholesterol, and hypertension.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

guido4475

Not a Member

Thank you for posting this-and being so open with you're feelings.What you said really hit home for me, especially the part of how we spend so much on our vans, maintaining them, but not ourselves.I need to do a lot of changing in this department for myself.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I am sorry to learn of your circumstances, blizzard, but thank you for sharing them and giving all expediters food for thought.

Many expediters don't have health insurance but all expediters should. The thing about enjoying the freedom of being self-employed is that if you don't take care of your health insurance, no one else will. Health insurance is enjoyed by many as an employee benefit. If you are going to be self-employed, it falls on you to provide your retirement and health care benefits (assuming you can get them at all in today's America).

If you do not already know, find out how much a GOOD health care plan will cost. Then build that cost into your cost of doing business. Add your monthly health insurance premium to your fixed costs and into your cost per mile.

If your margins are so thin now that adding personal health care into your cost per mile will make it impossible for you to run a profitable business, it is time to give serious thought to getting a job where health care benefits are part of your compensation.

The shippers and consignees you deal with have health insurance. The employees at your carrier have health insurance. The banker who finances your truck and the mechanic who works on it have health insurance. Why shouldn't you?

The work you do and the money you spend helps the people you serve and your vendors succeed, and part of that success is health care. Diane and I do not believe in giving away the store to help others succeed. We believe in pricing our services high enough to provide the same health care and retirement benefits for ourselves that the people we deal with every day also enjoy.

The day there is not enough money to be made in this business to provide such benefits while remaining profitable too is the day we leave the business and go someplace where good health care benefits can be found.

Last edited:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Hope everything works out for the best. This just once again reiterates how critical taking care of yourself and having coverage's like health, occ acc, and life insurance are.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I heard it's a good idea to stop and get out of your vehicle every hour or so and stretch your legs ,move around, and do some quick exercises with your legs to circulate the blood. Your blood in your legs can pool and have the potential to clot from inactivity in a confined position like sittng in a vehicle.

dolphin

Seasoned Expediter
Hope everything works out for the best. This just once again reiterates how critical taking care of yourself and having coverage's like health, occ acc, and life insurance are.

Did anyone hear if driving all these long hours people in this industry are more prone to DVT? Or is it more of a genetic things as LisaLouHou said.

I am the same as I don't go see a doctor unless I am really in bad shape. I guess the older we get the more risk we put ourselves in. Your post has me scheduling a blood test and checkup soon.

Wishing you a speedy, 100% recovery!

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks for all of the replies. The blood clot factor can be a genetic factor but it is also realted to sitting for long periods of time. You can get blood clots from flying in an aeroplane and sitting in one spot for long periods of time. You can get them from driving a lot or even sitting in front of a computer for hours on end. I am not sure if I have a genetic predisposition to blood clots, but if I do, the driving for hours on end is probably what sped up the clotting process. I have also been ignoring my elevated blood pressure and being overweight for quite some time.

We all talk about what it takes to be able to retire from expediting. But I say to you all, what is retirement if your health gets wrecked in the process? I'm a hard core driver - I don't even like to stop the van to go to the bathroom when I am under a load. I am rush, rush, rush, all of the time. I find it hard to relax or take a walk around the truck when i'm on a load. I took my mother on a trip to Washington state with me once and we only stopped 2 times in 16 hours. She will never ride with me again. Working ourselves like this is a sure fire way to end up in a very bad physical state.

Also what John said about the health coverage and the personal injury insurance is true. You can be macho man and say you do not need this type of coverage - and you probably don't. But as soon as you get in a major life-changing accident, you're going to wish you had the insurance. The job we do is the second most dangerous job underneith being a police officer - I think I read that somewhere a few years back. You watch axe men and say "those guys are working in dangerous conditions!" Well, look at what we do, driving down the road in loaded bullets dealing with crazy drivers, weather, construction zones, fatigue every single day of our lives.

It only takes a few seconds to become disabled. I'm not saying it will happen at all, but we are all prone to becoming a statistic at any given point in the day. I don't feel like a 19 year old ready to take on the world all by myself anymore, not after this experience.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
Did anyone hear if driving all these long hours people in this industry are more prone to DVT? Or is it more of a genetic things as LisaLouHou said.

Wishing you a speedy, 100% recovery!

The hematologists and geneticist have said clots are more common by lifestyle and secondary health issues: smoking, inactivity, diabetes, high cholesterol. The genetic angle is more uncommon. My mom's case, she doesn't smoke, drink, is active, no contributing health factors. Given that, they dove onto the family history, and I personally thought it strange they also asked for ancestral surnames...until they told me what they were going for.

Blood pooling in an inactive person's body happens all the time. Even without the genetic proclivity for clots, the body can only do so much at a time to get rid of them.

Walk those parking lots, even for 15 minutes a day. Rainy, snowy, cold? Do body stretches in the back of the van.

Double bonus: these things kick start your metabolism, too.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Blizzard, best wishes getting your health back. I've known 2 different drivers personally that had DVT. One is still driving, the other I havent heard from, so I dont know what happened with his condition. I know that the one who is still driving took it serious, followed the doctor's instructions to a "t". But the main things he did were diet and excercise. The extra weight plays a huge role.

Both of the guys Im talking about were in the 300 lb range. One was just over weight, the other was solid...and I mean solid muscle. He could pinch most of us in half. But, he was driving...a lot... and the weight, even though it was solid muscle, was detrimental. When your sitting in the seat, the more you weigh, the more your circulation is restricted.

I wouldnt want to say that I will never have these problems, simply because we are all in danger of a variety of similiar problems. I will say that I consider myself lucky that I knew one of these guys before I started driving and he told me about the problem he had and why he had it. I have always done my best to get at least some excercise even on the tight schedule, overnight runs.

One thing I do is drink a lot of water. I drink alot...probably too much...of the Powerade "ZERO" drinks. Drinking a lot of fluids does 2 things for me...helps to keep from eating so much and forces me to stop more while in route (I refuse to pee in a bottle while driving down the road when there are usually plenty of rest areas available). That little bit of leg stretching helps.

Thanks for sharing your experience Blizzard. It is good for all of us to get a reminder of just how unhealthy are jobs/lifestyle can be. Nearly every health issue drivers face,as a group, is directly related to inactivity.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Hoping you get better. Some excellent advice for both newbies and veterans alike.

PreacherRich

Seasoned Expediter
Glad you're still kickin brother! Thanks for sharing we all need to be reminded over and over again. You are in my prayers.

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver

I have gotten DVT in 2008, and I to put off until could not get shoe on. Found out I am catagory 5, means coumidin for life..just like my dad. they then found 4 clots in (l) leg. INR test 1x every month. I get out about every hour just to stretch and sometime jump around a little, and people stare..

Hope all goes well...

quickpickup1

Seasoned Expediter
Jeremy,
I'am really glad to see you get out of the hospital,just follow the doc's advice and you should be ok!!
This is a really good post and it will really get people thinking about there health.I know it has got my attention and really makes me want to get the testing done soon for myself.

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
I feel for you guy. I found out that I had blood clots when I was on a run and I just felt totally miserable, with more illness symptoms than anything else. I kept throwing up and my chest kept getting sorer and tighter (when I throw up people next door can hear me). Finally told the dispatch that we were tcalling the load no matter what. They found blood clots in my lungs and in my left leg. That was 3 years ago and thankfully I am now off that rat poison.

The ER guy told me that sometimes blood clots can also cause symptoms similar to flue.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have told several of you in pm's that I have health problems and didn't won't to bore them with my problems.Didn't want you all to think ya'll I was sounding pitiful but that was what happened to me in August of 2011.
I knew my back had flaired up again and was back on pain meds for it.Patsy(my wife) and I went to BestBuy to look around a little and I got real sick at my stomach.I told her I was going to the car so to tack her time looking.she did.She came to the car and when she looked at me she asked did I feel alrite...I asked why she said I was as white as cotton. In the mean time I could tell something wasn't rite.
S off to arbys for supper that nite,when we started thru the drivethru I passed out.no responce no nothin. The next thing I know I woke up in the emergency room.stayed for three days.
they run test after test and found my potassium was down real low.that stuff is BITTER.

Igo home home 2 weeks later I was having my 7th back surgury.then start gettin over that is when I had my major heart attack DEC 2011.The widow maker. luckly the doctor that was on is the only on that will touch anything that serious.

fellas DODN'T TRY TO BE HE MAN AND SUCK UP A LITTLE CHEST PAIN,PLEASE GO AND HAVE IT SEEN ABOUT.I have to many chest wall muscle pains now and I stay on my toes wondering when it going to hit again.

So please br careful and get yourselves checked before it to late.Your kis and grandkids will love you for it. blizzard any time you need to talk personally with someone call and i be glad to hear from you.Jason 256 762 7566. i'm very lucky to be here rite now. BLESS EVERYONE

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good luck and get to feeling better soon guy.Theres to many people in your life that needs you.

I didn't mean to leave that out.

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Something I forgot to add.

According to several doctors, one way to do a quick check is to feel your legs (above and below the knees) and if they are swollen or they are warm to the touch you are looking at a possible clot. My Dr suggested that every time you take a shower, use the bathroom, change clothes - do it.

My Dr went on to suggest doing it to my arms (above and below the elbow).

I've heard another dr suggest getting one of those blood oxygen meters and check it once a week.