A VERY SHOCKING QUESTION

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
I need new shocks for my 05 GMC van. Anybody out there replaced shocks, and where is the best place to get them installed? My dealer wanted about 500 bucks, but that was with a lifetime parts and labor warranty. Since I haven't replaced shocks or bought tires or any of that other stuff in about twenty years, I'm not aware of the prices of replacement goodies. Thanks.
:+ :+

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sounds high to me.I replaced shocks on a FL70 which weighs somewhat more than your B van for a lot less. Do I have a lifetime warranty? Don't know,what is the lifetime of a shock absorber?. Prof I wpould check with an independent shop or possibly Midas even though they sure know how to rip you off.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Rear Shocks are easy to replace, but I think that the dealer is ripping you off. $500 for replacement, H*LL NO!

Monroe 34763 Gas Magnum shocks (double check the part number for your year) should be less than $50 each and they have a life time warantee, if you don't tell them that it is a comericial vehicle you will get replacements.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i had a lifetime warrenty on a muffler. the initial cost was high and then the cost of the new part every year. i guess the 500 bucks covers the labor later also. no lifetime warrenty of the original? stick that back to the dealer. replacement oem better than original?

i have to wonder what 'lifetime' really means. one persons lifetime is another persons service life used up, ya know?

Jack Berry

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
2005 and you need new shocks? How many miles? Is it a 3500? I put 325,000 miles on a 1998 3500 and never replaced the shocks. I've got 140,000 on a 2006 3500 with the original shocks. Terrry has over a million miles (probably much more) on these vans. Maybe he can help. Something doesn't sound right. If the OEM shocks were defective I guess there isn't much you can but replace them. I'm sure you are long past any warranty.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
i am curious, what other suspension parts have you not messed with on your van with 325,000 miles on it?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Other than brakes, tires and batteries the only parts I replaced were a fuel pump (1), U-joints and a heater core. When I sold the van it still had the original water pump, alternator, shocks, exhaust system and springs. Transmision was fine. Had it flushed and refilled every 150,000. Had to replace some sheet metal, bumper and radiator thanks to Bambi. After seeing the miles Terry has put on his last van, I probably should have kept it another year or two.

Hope my new van lasts as well.

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Not a plug for any particular business, but on my 98 van I had the shocks changed at Midas and on my 2002 had them changed at Meineke, both times well under $500 and never had a problem out of them.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Shock technology has change a lot in the last 20 years but I still am of the mind set that because it is still a unit that has seals and under some sort of pressure which is subject to harsh roads like Michigan's best and new roads with built in pot holes, don't expect them to last more than 100K