A situation occured that needs your input

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
Tod and I were at a Petro in an unnamed location last night. We were doing laundry and showers when a thunderstorm came with very heavy rain. Needless to say we were held up inside for nearly three hours. It was between 11pm and 1am so there were few people there. Conversation began between five or six drivers. As always there was the token driver who was an expert on everything and was very opinionated. I noticed a woman driver and her son who came in and went to shower. After they showered the boy went to play pinball and his mother and I began talking. It was obvious to me that the woman was gay. This DOES NOT bother me in the least. After some time went by one of the drivers suggested we should just sleep on the floor. The token driver elbowed me and said "If I were you I would sleep on the other side of the room" then chuckled "you know what I mean?" I was appalled and the woman heard him. I replied "That would be better than sleeping next to you, I could just hear how you would tell that, like the time four drivers had a :censoredsign: on the floor at the Petro". The woman and her son dissappeared in the rain.

What would you do?

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Remind me to give you a high five if we ever meet.. LOL.. I'd love to have seen the look on his face!!!!

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

[i]

Ability is what you're capable of doing...
Motivation determines what you do...
Attitude determines how well you do it. (Lou Holtz)
-------------------

[/i]

---------

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Ditto on the way to go! There are some real idiots out here and it's a shame they try to mask thier own ignorance with crass comments like that one. You did the right thing, I would have probably shook my head and rolled my eyes (before I said guys like you make a woman want a woman).
Mike and Cyn

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You could have said" Hey Tod goes both ways. How about if he bunks down with you."

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
RichM

I wished you'd there LOL! LOL! LOL!

Of course Tod would have beat the female driver out the door!

But seriously, I appreciate everyone's support for this woman. His comment was totally uncalled for and for no reason other than to get a laugh, as it turned out the joke was on him.

I try to respect people's opinions but some things light a fire under me.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Way to go Coco. My response would have come the next day. I would have said something like "What I should have said was....." Fast thinking. When I first started teaching about 10 years ago, I had a student that every other word out of his mouth was "queers". I hadn't been a "public person" for very long, so I didn't know how to handle him. I learned from him that all "queers" were child molesters and Democrats. Democrats being the lower of the two in his opinion, but that's another story. I soon learned that when a student had an offensive opinion, I could shut them up. (Shut up or go home). Good, fast thinking, Coco.

:+ :+

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The best thing about writing is the time it gives you to come up with a "snappy comeback" - in person, I take Miss Manners advice when offended: say "How kind of you to take such an interest", while letting them know with a cold stare, that it isn't what you'd like to say - but YOU have class. Works for me!

Pappy

Expert Expediter
Perhaps both Coco and Cheri should be on some "BEST_SELLERS" list!

Pappy
35 yrs OTR T/T :)

bimbim29

Active Expediter
I am glad that you stood up to him. I just get so mad at people that the words won't come out. I'm afraid I wouldn't of said anything and then been mad at myself!
People like him tarnish the impression that the general public has of drivers.
Way to go.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Let me think...which is worse--demon-crats or child molesters. This might take me a few minutes...

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Let me think...which is worse--demon-crats or child molesters. This might take me a few minutes...

Ok, I've thought it over. I'd day that child molesters are worse than demon-crats...though I'd wager that most child molesters ARE demon-crats.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Lil over the top there Amonger.

In my opinion child molesters are the lowest form of life on the planet.

I wouldnt use that low of an insult on any democrat, no matter how mad I was.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

AMonger

Veteran Expediter

Maybe you misunderstood; I DID say that child molesters are worse than demon-crats. Sure, I had to think it over for a few minutes, but I'm fairly certain I came to the right conclusion.

Pretty sure.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
People like him are often repressed or insecure of their own sexuality themselves...he's probably that trucker people talk about who advertises himself at the rest areas along I-75 on craigslist same gender personals.

"Bruises fade and bones will mend-but a psyche can be ruined FOREVER" : LisaLouHoo, c. 2008

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

Hermitage Hall I have made deliveries to this place doing courier work. They try to rehabilitate sexually abused kids and those that do the abusing for girls and boys. They have over a 100 kids at anyone time , ages 9 to 18. Some girls are in there because their parents have put them out to work as prostitutes.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Like they use it on Catholic priests?

Nah... I wouldn't put that tag on any group... except maybe NAMBLA (who are likely Democrats) :cool: